Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

It's a weird one considering Taylor can't be match fit, and even when he is match fit he's average.

Exactly. Regardless of what people think of their comparative ability, I can't understand why we're choosing to start with a player who's just back from injury when we have a fully fit quality centre-back on the bench. I have to assume that Taylor's in the team for "political" reasons, namely because he's English and Pardew's wary of disrupting the dressing room by putting too many foreign players in the team. That's a valid concern, but I think it's a mistake.

It's not a new thing centre backs taking a while to settle in, especially if they don't speak the same language as their partner.

But yeah, it's an absolute disgrace that we play the more than good enough centre back that can communicate with his partner perfectly and has many, many games playing time with him.

Disgrace!

It's not a new thing centre backs taking a while to settle in, especially if they don't speak the same language as their partner.

But yeah, it's an absolute disgrace that we play the more than good enough centre back that can communicate with his partner perfectly and has many, many games playing time with him.

Disgrace!

I never said it was a disgrace merely a mistake. For what it's worth Taylor played well today. The only thing I noticed was that he lost his man for their second, not even sure I'd class that as a mistake to be honest, he had a decision to make and chose to fill the space rather than follow the man, as it turned out he might have been better to do differently, but it could equally have turned out that that was the wrong thing to do also. So no real criticism of Taylor today, in fact a good block at the end that saved us the win. Still like to see Yanga-Mbiwa starting though.

Disgrace!

I never said it was a disgrace merely a mistake. For what it's worth Taylor played well today. The only thing I noticed was that he lost his man for their second, not even sure I'd class that as a mistake to be honest, he had a decision to make and chose to fill the space rather than follow the man, as it turned out he might have been better to do differently, but it could equally have turned out that that was the wrong thing to do also. So no real criticism of Taylor today, in fact a good block at the end that saved us the win. Still like to see Yanga-Mbiwa starting though.

Was a general comment based on some of the recent reactions but being directly under your post I can see why you might have thought it was directed at you :)

Disgrace!

Why?

Long term I have no doubt he'll be first choice. As it stands he doesn't deserve to displace either centre back, and it's just fantastic to see his supposed quality able to come off the bench.

Disgrace!

Why?

Long term I have no doubt he'll be first choice. As it stands he doesn't deserve to displace either centre back, and it's just fantastic to see his supposed quality able to come off the bench.

I think he's a better player than Taylor and I want our best players to be on the pitch, simple as that.

Centre back is such a crucial position that I can see why Pardew doesn't want to try out a new player and a new combination in a new league in the position we're in right now. We've got the two Europa games coming up and I'm sure he'll use that opportunity to give him his chance.

The other question in my mind is what sort of a defender Mbiwa is - a Colo or a Taylor or one who can do a bit of both. Getting the right combination would be very important.

From the little I have seen/read he can do what both can but with a lot more pace. No doubt he will be first choice soon enough but Taylor has an understanding with Colo and doesn't deserve dropping.

Despite championing Taylor's inclusion I was disappointed when the team was announced yesterday but Taylor proved me wrong.

If Steven Taylor is playing well he deserves his place.  If he takes his foot off the gas MYM will be snapping at his heels and if he's as excellent a player as most suggest he will probably never look back.

Besides I think he's intended as Colo's long-term replacement rather than necessarily a partner.  Tbh this argument is a bit of a non-starter anyway because Taylor will get injured within 3 games :lol: