Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

He should've been closer to Muller, if you look he's slow to react to run which allows Muller the time to play it back to Gotze. He should've been tighter.

He's as tight as you could be and stopped him turning. His man didn't score you know?

Just because Muller didn't score it doesn't mean that Mbiwa can't have been at fault for some of the build up play, watch Muller's movement and you'll see Mbiwa is miles off him and really late to react. He's far more concerned with Gotze infront of him, this is what causes him to lose his man which is Muller.

:lol: okay let's blame him for a goal that he had nowt to do with.

He lost his man which allowed Muller to play a one two with the goal scorer, I struggle to see how that doesn't at least lay some of the blame at Mbiwa. I like Mbiwa but he's been caught out on more than one occasion today, he's also done some good stuff as well but let's not pretend he's been great.

He's marking his man, he's between him and goal so that he can't turn to shoot, so he's certainly not at fault for the goal whether he could have done better or been tighter or not.  The lad who doesn't follow Gotze is at fault.

Yanga-Mbiwa was at fault for the 3rd though, hard to find a single Roma defender who hasn't been caught out by Bayern, Cole was twice.

You can still lose your man but have him end up with his back to goal, he's slow to react to Muller's run which allow him an easy lay off into the path of the goalscorer. He's ball watching again for the third goal, he's got some massive plus points  in his game but he's been poor tonight at the basics.

Is the argument here really that because Yanga-Mbiwa doesn't stop Muller from receiving the ball in the first place he's at fault for the goal?  Even though Gotze is allow to get his shot away due to another defender completely losing him.

The second wasn't his fault.

Firstly, it was a brilliant goal from a half-chance.

The best Mapou could've done was win the ball and walk off but that wasn't likely - you wouldn't advise a defender to go to grown or make a challenge in that area. He held him off well imo. It was a good lay-off and excellent finish.

How much tighter could he have been?

The third was his fault. At that point Roma were rattled tbf.

A lot

http://i.imgur.com/HtH0ikR.png

He lets him get a run on him, Muller is even pointing where he wants the ball.  By the time MYM has realised what's going on about him, Muller is ahead of him and has the ball at his feet.

I agree you can't blame him after that, but he had to spot/nullify the danger in the first place

A lot

He lets him get a run on him, Muller is even pointing where he wants the ball.  By the time MYM has realised what's going on about him, Muller is ahead of him and has the ball at his feet.

I agree you can't blame him after that, but he had to spot/nullify the danger in the first place

Without having seen the goal there is no way you can say his positioning in that still makes him at fault for a goal that may have happened after a pass and move.

A lot

Without having seen the goal there is no way you can say his positioning in that still makes him at fault for a goal that may have happened after a pass and move.

If he's even just one step forward, in line with the rest of his defence the run for Muller isnt even on.  The striker starts behind him, MYM knows where he is yet still allows him to get the run right across his path and in front of him. It's pretty basic defending. Don't let your man get a run in front of you blahblah

A lot

If he's even just one step forward, in line with the rest of his defence the run for Muller isnt even on.  The striker starts behind him, MYM knows where he is yet still allows him to get the run right across his path and in front of him. It's pretty basic defending. Don't let your man get a run in front of you blahblah

Preach.

I disagree. In fact, what you are saying is something Colo does quite frequently, "bite" when a forward drops a little deeper to collect the ball or lay it off to a runner, and it's a situation where the defender is quite easily turned or simply caught out leaving the centre of defence wide open. Didn't Southampton score their fourth from such a situation? Again, I haven't seen the goal, so maybe it looks worse in motion, but in that still his position isn't all that bad.

Again, I haven't seen the goal, so maybe it looks worse in motion, but in that still his position isn't all that bad.

No, not if you had some wits about you.  I'm not singling out the position and only the position as the reason, I thought that was clear

Get tight and stop him doing it, or stand off and see it coming BEFORE he does it so you can react.  MYM does netiher

A lot

If he's a step forward he's not in line with the rest of his defence though. Cole is still playing them on.

Not a great performance, but it's Bayern Munich at their best, and Roma's midfielders weren't even pretending to track runners from midfield, which didn't help.

Willo and Colo will be giving performances worse than this in the next three games man. Guaranteed.

MYM arrived as a League 1 winner with Montpellier and a reputation as one of Europe's most promising young defenders. Unfortunately for whatever reason, unsuited to the EPL, Pardewed, Overated, he never played particularly well for us, either at CH or fullback and his future is definitely not with us. He's probably a reasonable defender, but he's not a Varane or a Mangala, and his performance for Roma today showed all the reasons why. He's quick and good on the ball, but lacks positional awareness, concentration and the real nasty edge that the top defenders have. Time to move on.

MYM arrived as a League 1 winner with Montpellier and a reputation as one of Europe's most promising young defenders. Unfortunately for whatever reason, unsuited to the EPL, Pardewed, Overated, he never played particularly well for us, either at CH or fullback and his future is definitely not with us. He's probably a reasonable defender, but he's not a Varane or a Mangala, and his performance for Roma today showed all the reasons why. He's quick and good on the ball, but lacks positional awareness, concentration and the real nasty edge that the top defenders have. Time to move on.

And we finally found pardew