Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

I remember the days of Boro fans hounding McClaren for the s**** football and results. The UEFA Cup run made him look a lot better than he was to outsiders.

I don't want any manager who has been hounded out for shocking flaws in this league with average clubs.

Bruce chased out of Sunderland, Pulis out of Stoke, Sherwood out of Spurs.

We sit here laughing at Palace fans and people are content with managers who have been berated just as Pardew has been on here.

Inevitably the same problems show, Pardew at West Ham and here, Bruce at Sunderland and Hull etc

mcclaren gave boro the greatest period in their history tbf.

McCleish gave Birmingham their greatest period too. Sign him up.

I remember the days of Boro fans hounding McClaren for the s**** football and results. The UEFA Cup run made him look a lot better than he was to outsiders.

I don't want any manager who has been hounded out for shocking flaws in this league with average clubs.

We sit here laughing at Palace fans and people are content with managers who have been berated just as Pardew has been on here.

Inevitably the same problems show, Pardew at West Ham and here, Bruce at Sunderland and Hull etc

he didnt though, did he? he won the cup, granted,but im sure he relegated them too? hardly greatest ever period.

mcclaren had boro in europe, twice (i think), he even got them to the final man. i'm also sure he's one of the only managers to win the dutch leageu with a club outside of their top 3 or 4. mcclaren is mixed bag, i'll give you that, but to use his boro tenure as an example of how bad he is is just daft imo, he was a roaring success at that club.

he didnt though, did he? he won the cup, granted,but im sure he relegated them too? hardly greatest ever period.

mcclaren had boro in europe, twice (i think), he even got them to the final man.

It's relative. Two shite clubs had a bit of success. Both shite managers who have failed most of their careers with the odd blip of success.

mcclaren had boro in europe, twice (i think), he even got them to the final man.

It's relative. Two s**** clubs had a bit of success. Both s**** managers who have failed most of their careers with the odd blip of success.

i'd call his boro achievements a bit more than 'a bit of success' tbh, what he did there was pretty impressive.

he succeeded at boro, twente and so far derby.

failed at wolfsburg, forest and england. so, as i say, he's a mixed bag.

)a mixed bag i'd take out of the english options).

And yet he was still largely hated, you cannot ignore that.

i wouldnt know tbh, i dont know any boro fans to discuss it with.

to be hated for creating the best few years in their history would seem harsh to me however, but im cautios of 'outside looking in', hate when poeple do it to us, so i'll take your (their) word on it.

Do Derby & Twente fans hate him? Don't think the Boro fan hatred is necessarily widespread either. He's abperfectly competent manager and has evidenced it on a number of occasions. Would accept.

derby fans fucking love him.

given he won twente their first ever title, i'd imagine he's liked there as well.

Guest firetotheworks

I wouldn't want McClaren anywhere near our club like. Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to him since the England job, but Boro were crap under him and only got to the final by some last minute flukes.

I wouldn't want McClaren anywhere near our club like. Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to him since the England job, but Boro were crap under him and only got to the final by some last minute flukes.

you could say that about any amount of cup runs though, thats what cups are about, a bit of luck, if you look at the last 4 english champs league wins, theyve all had strokes of huge luck on the way.

Guest firetotheworks

you could say that about any amount of cup runs though, thats what cups are about, a bit of luck, if you look at the last 4 english champs league wins, theyve all had strokes of huge luck on the way.

Not really. Not like it was with Boro.

His career is pretty uneven, but winning the Dutch league with Twente was a huge achievement for McClaren. It's not like they are a powerhouse in the Dutch league, that's their only league win in history.

his career is 50/50, theres no doubt about it. its a good job followed by a bad one pretty much.

sadly, he's due a bad one next.........

Can I put the myth to bed that Boro fans hate McLaren. Everyone I speak to has mainly good things to say.

He's a good manager but hardly inspiring, a mile from Pardew though.

Do Derby & Twente fans hate him? Don't think the Boro fan hatred is necessarily widespread either. He's abperfectly competent manager and has evidenced it on a number of occasions. Would accept.

derby fans fucking love him.

given he won twente their first ever title, i'd imagine he's liked there as well.

Reading FCTwente.net forum it seems very mixed about him. Some love him some seem to hate him.

Signs all point to Carver getting it, which would be a huge missed opportunity. Carver just looks too happy in interviews to have not been given the wink that he's got it. Hopefully it's just till the end of the season, but if he sneaks us in to the top 10 it's more of the same for a while me thinks.

Carver is getting it, but probably only to the end of the season. I can't see Ashley wanting to risk relegation by giving him any longer than that, it's clear as day the man is a pleb.

It's relative. Two s**** clubs had a bit of success. Both s**** managers who have failed most of their careers with the odd blip of success.

guess it depends what you call an odd blip. I wouldnt call the only league title in a clubs history (twente), the only cup in a clubs history (boro), european final etc, an 'odd blip'. his failings are as worthy as the 'odd blip' title if that is the case.

like i say, his career is pretty much 50/50. If boro fans thought he played shit football, derby fans rave about how good it is under him. So which do you take?

:clap:

McClaren has a history of failure in his career and I don't want another manager like that.

He has a league title under his belt  :lol:

So did Dalglish in a better league.

At Middlesbrough he was hated by the fans

Ran out of the England job failing to even qualify for Euro 2008

Failed at Wolfsburg

Failed at Forest

But aye he'll be fine here.

I get what you are saying….but it's about the best of a bunch.  Out of Sherwood, Carver, McCoist, etc….I'd have McCLaren.  Sadly the likes of De Boer, Laudrup, even Tuchel are pie in the sky.  IMO we'd be lucky to get McClaren.

I think the general concensus amongst Boro fans is that his football, at the very least, was boring as f***. Something i'm not too willing to put up with after 4 years of Alan Pardew.

Might want to speak to some derby fans then, they reckon its mint.