Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Weren't Derby regularly finishing mid table or below until Mclaren came in?  First season under him they finished 3rd and now they're sitting 5th.  I don't know, maybe quite a bit of money was spent and it's purely new players making the difference.  I just don't think he should be judged as a poor manager because he hasn't led Derby to promotion yet as some have suggested.  Maybe they know much more than me about the goings on at Derby?, if so I'd be interested in reading about it.  Considering it looks like we're going to get him wether we want him or not.  At the moment I'm in the "at least he's far better than Carver" camp so I'm willing to give him a chance.

Weren't they regularly finishing mid table or below until Mclaren came in?  First season under him they finished 3rd and now they're sitting 5th.  I don't know, maybe quite a bit of money was spent and it's purely new players making the difference.  I just don't think we can judge him as a poor manager purely because he hasn't led Derby to promotion yet.  You may know more than me about the goings on at Derby?

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Derby_County_F.C._season

Players transferred in

Date Pos. Name Previous club Fee Ref.

10 June 2014 MF Kosovo Alban Bunjaku Spain Sevilla Free [40]

25 June 2014 DF United States Zak Whitbread England Leicester City Free [30]

1 July 2014 GK England Jonathan Mitchell England Newcastle United Free [38]

1 July 2014 FW Brazil Alefe Santos England Bristol Rovers Free [41]

10 July 2014 DF England Cyrus Christie England Coventry City Undisclosed1 [42]

18 July 2014 MF Spain Iván Calero Spain Atlético Madrid Free [43]

19 July 2014 MF England George Thorne England West Bromwich Albion Undisclosed [49]

1 August 2014 FW England Shaquille McDonald England York City Free [50]

1 September 2014 MF Germany Tom Koblenz Germany Hoffenheim Free [66]

1 January 2015 DF England Ryan Shotton England Stoke City Undisclosed [77]

12 January 2015 DF Sweden Isak Ssewankambo Netherlands NAC Breda Free [79]

15 January 2015 DF England Stephen Warnock England Leeds United Undisclosed [80]

16 January 2015 DF Spain Raúl Albentosa Spain SD Eibar Undisclosed [81]

Players loaned in

Date from Pos. Name From Date to Ref.

4 August 2014 FW Republic of Ireland Leon Best England Blackburn Rovers 6 January 20152 [51][107]

6 August 2014 MF Spain Omar Mascarell Spain Real Madrid 2 May 2015 [52]

25 August 2014 DF England Ryan Shotton England Stoke City 31 December 20143 [58]

29 August 2014 FW England Jordon Ibe England Liverpool 15 January 20154 [59][89]

20 October 2014 GK England Jack Butland England Stoke City 27 November 20145 [71][108]

2 January 2015 FW England Darren Bent England Aston Villa 2 May 2015 [78]

2 February 2015 FW England Tom Ince England Hull City 2 May 2015 [94]

2 February 2015 MF England Jesse Lingard England Manchester United 2 May 2015 [96]

So they have Darren Bent (who we were linked with over the summer and is surely good enough to score a few in that league), Leon Best, Jack Butland Tom Ince, had Jordan Ibe (while they were doing well), some real Madrid kid and ManUre kid. To go along with there current squad which includes Will Hughes.

Remember the level we are talking about here, that squad should be competing close to the top. I think even John Carver would keep that squad in that division, and that is saying a lot. :)

According to Douglas he was told one of the candidates they interviewed in January, presumably Garde, didn't get the size of the club.

Oh the fucking irony !!

I'm sure what he actually means is that Garde thought the club was fucking massive and should be challenging at the top of the league - they can't be appointing someone with those ridiculous notions!

Remember the article saying Garde had consulted with Wenger, who told him it was an opportunity he couldn't pass up. Yeah, sure eh was clueless about the size of the club. It's nonsense.

Guest chopey

I've just watched McLarens interview today and reading between the lines he's coming here as soon as derbys season ends

McLaren would be such an uninspired appointment. I can't see how anything would change other than more drilled yet drab performances. Having said that it would be much better than our current set up.

If this is the road we choose to take I can really see more people becoming more numb and lacklustre towards the club.

Make of this what you will, with any luck it means he's not coming and Carver is too much of a liability:

Derby boss Steve McClaren has hit out at the constant speculation linking him with Newcastle.

The former England manager admitted there was interest from the Magpies after Alan Pardew joined Crystal Palace at the turn of the year.

John Carver was placed in charge at St James' Park, but McClaren is understood to still be in the frame for the job.

However, McClaren insists he's fully-focused on Derby's promotion push and has labelled the rumours linking him with Newcastle "disrespectful"

Asked if he intended to still be in charge at the iPro Stadium at the start of the 2015/16 campaign, the 53-year-old said: "I am contracted to Derby County, so yes.

In pictures - Newcastle fan protest

VIEW GALLERY

"I have got a contract here for the next two years after this and I hope to honour that contract.

"But it is football, that might change, who knows. But at the present moment I am the Derby County head coach and will remain so until things change.

"So, let's get on with the job. My goal is to get in the play-offs and do as well as we can."

On the reports linking him with Newcastle, McClaren added: "I haven't got a clue if I'm a candidate for the Newcastle job.

READ MORE McClaren is destined for the Premier League - with or without Derby

Dejected: McClaren comforts Derby defender Richard Keogh after losing last year's play-off final

"I think there was no secret that there was an interest in December and January. We talked about that and in the end they didn't have a manager then.

"What they did was appoint a manager [John Carver] and that is what they have got, and he is fighting for the job.

"While somebody is in a job it is a little bit disrespectful. It's disrespectful to John Carver, to Newcastle, my focus is purely on Derby.

"But this is newspapers and this is what they do, they speculate. At the present moment Newcastle doesn't interest me, I am not thinking about that. I am thinking solely of Derby."

I saw this little gem in a Q&A with a Derby rag too:

Q) Is that you ruling yourself out of the Newcastle job?

A) At the present moment it is disrespectful talking about Newcastle and their situation because they have a manager.

I really can’t comment because John Carver is the manager and he is doing a good job.

He is fighting for the job and it would be disrespectful for me to comment ‘yes’ or ‘no’ because I don’t know until the end of the season and until Newcastle say something, which is what they are saying.

I cannot comment because I have a job to do here. I am contracted here, my total focus is on this job, and that’s it.

Guest TruToon94

According to Douglas he was told one of the candidates they interviewed in January, presumably Garde, didn't get the size of the club.

Oh the f***ing irony !!

Why did I get the feeling this was less of Garde not thinking we're a big team and more like Charnley and co telling him, "oh no lad you've got it wrong. Wanting to win stuff, that's in the past. We want mid table mediocrity every year! Look at the balance sheets, fucking mint. So you can't buy anybody either but feel free to sell as many as you wa- Where you going?"

I wouldn't doubt that either.

Garde: "this is a historic club, with the ability and capacity to be a top 7 side. You've done it before and with my coaching and staff and your scouting we can break into top 7 and push on and go after cups and the league"

Charnley: "No we're a mid table side. And we don't want to win cups. You sound like you want to spend a ton of money and we will likely sell players for profits"

Garde: "I don't mind lack of spend and selling players - it's happened to me before. Just let bring in my staff and let me go after my type of players, I think we can break into top 7 with your current investment strategy..."

Charnley: "get the fuck out of here. We don't want top 7"

He's been linked with a job to England, to be honest. I doubt it's gonna be you since he's not servile enough to work under the current regime, but one can dream.

Maybe I can jinx it if I promise to drink my own pee if you sign Jémez. It's worked in the past in this forum.

He's been linked with a job to England, to be honest. I doubt it's gonna be you since he's not servile enough to work under the current regime, but one can dream.

Maybe I can jinx it if I promise to drink my own pee if you sign Jémez. It's worked in the past in this forum.

Love watching his Rayo team; it's like watching the Keegan team from circa 93-95: play some lovely football

Love watching his Rayo team; it's like watching the Keegan team from circa 93-95: play some lovely football

Sounds great for us but not for Cashley.

It's a massive achievement what he's done there, imho. I really want to see what he can do with better players.

:iamatwat:

Rayo don't have a pot to piss on, even Ashley's brand of football (non)spending can produce a squad better than theirs.

All the quality players in their squad are either loans (Baptistao, Kakuta) or old (Amaya, Trashorras).