Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

I know you shouldn't put anything past these people but surely, surely even they wouldn't risk Carver next season. The worry for me is I can see them dragging this out to negotiate a lower pay for whoever they get in, not having to pay him a couple of months over the summer as a small bonus and our entire preseason being ruined.

Just get someone in asap so we can start sorting ourselves out.

Who exactly has Douglas contacted to find out if we are interested

Probably knows that we're not interested in finding a manager at all, so it's safe to just deny everything.

I just discount the local journalists for the most part, they clearly don't have a clue what is going on these days. Douglas is better than Ryder though, he can take heart from that.

I'm a tad disappointed we aren't interested in the likes of Gourvennec, and have seemingly cooled on Garde. Which means we're most likely looking for a British based manager, which is fine, but I wouldn't be looking at the likes of McLaren.

Sheperd and Hall era was great for the most part before Souness, the dividends still rile me though. About £35m was it? Imagine if we'd put that into players during Bobby's time where £35m was a proper warchest.

I'd have no problem in theory taking a Championship manager if they were a young up and comer playing good football. Martinez and Rodgers being recent examples.

Karanka and Warburton would be interesting, but I wish just for once we could get an established top level manager rather than taking a punt on someone.

Getting the right guy in could cure so many ills man. Just do it already. So annoying.

It's unbelievable Ashley hasn't even tried to do this since Keegan. The wages of a decent manager could probably have been won back if we finished higher than 16th in 2013 and 15th this year. Fans are fickle too, getting in the right man would kill off a lot of protests immediately.

The thing I don't understand (well I do) is that they had Carver, by his own admission, involved in the planning of the summer transfer window. So based on that we are to assume that the new manager may not get final say, but would have some say in whoever comes in and goes out. Having known perfectly well since the turn of the year that the moment to make a long term manager appointment was coming (and they should have known at least six months before then even), it is frankly unforgivable to come out with guff like "taking our time", "evaluating the situation", etc. If the man they wanted (Garde?) wasn't available in January for some reason they should have signed a pre-contract and should have been working behind the scenes on the transfer side of things long before the end of the season. Next season will just be another write-off as it stands, and even if decent money is invested we may yet see more players that the new manager may not want. Unless we do get Carver, which was always seemingly the plan and I wouldn't put it past them at all to stick to that even though it nearly backfired this term and will almost certainly relegate us next season.

It's f***ing welcome information though.

The transfer thing is baffling though. As i understand it they said they will find out the style of football the manager wants to play and identify the type of player that would best suit the approach. The transfer team would then look for players in that mould.

Well how the f*** are the going to do that if they don't know who the manager is?

The 'football board' will probably be looking at signing players already, if we get someone in before the end of next week we can then pursue those targets if the incoming coach is agreeable.

The above is obviously way to see sensible for NUFC though, realistically.

How many times have we had the local journos set these arbitrary timeframes on things we desperately want only for them to amount to nothing?

I refuse to believe that we'll have any sort of results by next week and I also refuse to believe that we'll end up with anybody but John Carver as our head coach on the first day of the season.

We know the manager has zero say in players coming in. It's not surprising and hardly uncommon, especially on the continent.

The problem is the muppet we hire to coach them. This season all rests on one decision, in my mind.