Official: Yoan Gouffran signs new contract with Goztepe

Tooj

We benefit massively from Gouffran, obviously from his workrate but also because of his striking instinct as shown most by his goals against Norwich and yesterday. A 'normal' winger/wide player doesn't anticipate chances like that. He's invaluable at the moment.

Great player, love him. :thup:

He's got great movement. That's one reason I'm not missing Hatem too much, at the minute, we've got 2 wide men who aren't as talented but move so much better off the ball and make better decisions in areas that count. If we can get HBA in the mindset of Gouff and Sissoko, he (and we) will be incredibly difficult to stop.

He's got great movement. That's one reason I'm not missing Hatem too much, at the minute, we've got 2 wide men who aren't as talented but move so much better off the ball and make better decisions in areas that count. If we can get HBA in the mindset of Gouff and Sissoko, he (and we) will be incredibly difficult to stop.

Don't think Sissoko makes better decisions in areas that count. If anything Sissoko always makes the wrong decision in the final third.

I noticed again against Southampton but when Ben Arfa came on and got the ball, everyone runs away from him.

That could be because they know he likes taking on the defender, or they know he isn't likely to pass.

But what's important is they don't do it with Gouffran. When he gets it the rest of the team move for him as they know he isn't as comfortable taking on defenders.

Simple small thing but actually makes a lot of difference to the way we attack.

Don't think Sissoko makes better decisions in areas that count. If anything Sissoko always makes the wrong decision in the final third.

Like when he won the header against Evra and set Cabaye up for his goal against Man Utd? Or when he scored against WBA the week before?

I'm not saying he should be relied on in the final third but he can be useful. Should be his job to pressure the oppositions midfield, win the ball, surge forward and deliver the ball to players who can put it to better use.

Like when he won the header against Evra and set Cabaye up for his goal against Man Utd? Or when he scored against WBA the week before?

I'm not saying he should be relied on in the final third but he can be useful. Should be his job to pressure the oppositions midfield, win the ball, surge forward and deliver the ball to players who can put it to better use.

Obviously I was exaggerating with 'always', but you took two examples that I don't find particularly convincing. One he ended up getting a bit of luck as Evra headed it onto him (he didn't win the header) and then passing it back across is a must in those situations. He also got a very nice goal against WBA but how many shots like that has he taken on target since he arrived at the club? I'd love for him to use the speed he has to go past defenders, he usually just stops at times, he needs to be more aggressive when he has the ball in terms of challenging fullbacks, I know that's not what he's ever been known for, but he's playing wide now so he has to learn that.

Or there's the shit pass to Obertan (two mistakes there: electing to pass to that gimp, and doing it badly) when we broke into the box vs. Swansea, and the many times he sort of runs down a blind alley of three or four defenders and loses possession. He's hit-and-miss, the original comment of 'always makes the wrong decision' is pretty laughable, but he could easily improve with that imo.

This, so frustating to watch. You find yourself screaming at him everytime he gets in space with the ball. Hopefully he will improve in this area but at the moment his decision making is awful.