Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/01/13 - Post-match relief from page 84

Dave

Guest Roger Kint

Aye they was better but not as good as we allowed them to look, again down to Pardew's negative putrid shit.

It was quite clear we had no ambition other than hold the lead the minute the 2nd half kicked off as usual under this moron.

I don't see how you could assess that. They came out fighting, we concede a soft pen, then the game is out of control. We failed to get control, but to say we never intended to is just an assumption.

Plus they made two subs at half time to change formation to a more attacking one we werent planning for.

Guest neesy111

Aye they was better but not as good as we allowed them to look, again down to Pardew's negative putrid shit.

It was quite clear we had no ambition other than hold the lead the minute the 2nd half kicked off as usual under this moron.

I don't see how you could assess that. They came out fighting, we concede a soft pen, then the game is out of control. We failed to get control, but to say we never intended to is just an assumption.

Plus they made two subs at half time to change formation to a more attacking one we werent planning for.

That's true but:

Were we incredibly naive to think Villa wouldn't have a go though?

Guest neesy111

Just think I should say at this point however the second half went, or whatever I might think about the subs, it was a massive win. The points matter more than owt else at this stage.

:thup:

I've woken up feeling happy about the game.

Aye we needed the win so bad, we cannot rewrite the past half of the season but hopefully this is the massive boost we need to kick on. Finish in a respectable position and do well on the continent and I'll be happy.

To me, it's that fine line between it being a win which stops the rot and allows you to look up rather than down, and concentrate on getting towards mid-table, forget about this season and push forward with a strengthened squad next year.... and also recognising you're still in the shit, and 0-1 points in your next 2 games (which is very possible) will put the pressure right back on, and back to square one almost.

Very confident you'll be more than fine (still think you'll get top 10) while also recognising yeah, this season's been a massive disappointment. Hopefully, with the January additions, you can build some momentum between now and May, and use that as the base for next season. I firmly believe that's what happened with us - we got Jelavic and Pienaar in last January, hit some good form and that continued at the start of this season.

Aye we needed the win so bad, we cannot rewrite the past half of the season but hopefully this is the massive boost we need to kick on. Finish in a respectable position and do well on the continent and I'll be happy.

To me, it's that fine line between it being a win which stops the rot and allows you to look up rather than down, and concentrate on getting towards mid-table, forget about this season and push forward with a strengthened squad next year....

True.  I feel like the anti-Pardew "There's a lot of negatives we can take from that victory"

We probably couldn't have timed the victory worse like with the upcoming 2 fixtures but the points were badly needed. 2-3 points against Chelsea and Spurs is doable if Pardew doesn't shit his nickers if/when we take the lead. Do what we did against Reading and Villa against either of those 2 though and they'll probably hit back with 3-4.

I'm not even entertaining the notion of 0 points and another bad run, it cannot happen.

We probably couldn't have timed the victory worse like with the upcoming 2 fixtures but the points were badly needed. 2-3 points against Chelsea and Spurs is doable if Pardew doesn't s*** his nickers if/when we take the lead. Do what we did against Reading and Villa against either of those 2 though and they'll probably hit back with 3-4.

I'm not even entertaining the notion of 0 points and another bad run, it cannot happen.

What? :lol: Couldn't have timed it better more like. Imagine the pressure for those two matches if we'd lost yesterday.

We probably couldn't have timed the victory worse like with the upcoming 2 fixtures but the points were badly needed. 2-3 points against Chelsea and Spurs is doable if Pardew doesn't s*** his nickers if/when we take the lead. Do what we did against Reading and Villa against either of those 2 though and they'll probably hit back with 3-4.

What? :lol: Couldn't have timed it better more like. Imagine the pressure for those two matches if we'd lost yesterday.

It's obvious what I meant like, the "1st victory" would have been far better had it preceded a couple of winnable games as it would give us good chance to get on a decent run.

It was just a throwaway comment to highlight the point that Neil made.

Pointing solely at the soft penalty as the turning point in the game ignores the fact that Krul had already made two excellent stops just before that. They were all over us from the start of the half.

Pointing solely at the soft penalty as the turning point in the game ignores the fact that Krul had already made two excellent stops just before that. They were all over us from the start of the half.

They really couldn't have been worse though surely? Lambert clearly went to town on them at half time.

They made two required changes and it instantly made them more mobile up front. The second half was as much to do with Villa's desperation as it was our nervousness imo

Think people are reading far too much into the second half performance. It was clearly the performance of a team who were incredibly nervous and desperate to get their first away win. I don't think you can attribute that much of it to Pardew. It was always going to be like that at some point in the game due to the importance of it.

On a truly positive note though, we played some cracking stuff first half, and Sissoko looks a great buy.

While we'd have all preferred the 2nd half to be like the first, we can also draw positives from the second half. Real determination, spirit and players prepared to put their bodies on the line. Very positive in terms of morale if not in terms of possession and retention.

Ok first off he never challenged him and it was never a foul, though most of you seem to think he did so here it goes.

To be a penalty it has to be a foul inside the box that prevents a goal scoring opportunity and/or the player/ball is heading towards the goal. Agbonlahor was heading away from goal, the ball was heading away from goal, there was no goal scoring opportunity there to stop a goal scoring opportunity.

You dont even know the rules. Not a penalty unless its a goal scoring opportunity? What you onnabout man :lol:

I said and or facing/traveling towards goal.

Look it up.

It's similar to how outside of the pitch there is difference between a direct and indirect free kick.

How about you look it up and post evidence for us in here?

Ok, usually outside of the area a handball is punished by an indirect free kick, though in recent years I've seen it punished by a direct free kick, in a penalty box though it is punished by a direct free kick which is a penalty.

Eh? Deliberate handball has always been a direct free kick if outside the box and a penalty within it. The only indirect free kick offences as far as I'm aware are: obstruction, which I can't remember the last time I saw one, offside decisions and 'keeper picking up deliberate back passes.

Irrespective of what happened 2nd half how great it is to put these c***s firmly in the s*** after the 08/09 p*ss taking from them. Great when down the line those fans get a dose of karma.

This. I always had a soft spot for Villa until THAT match. Now I'm on the prayer mat nightly wishing them relegated.

Sissoko's assist and Cabaye's goal, wow  :smitten: