Newcastle 0 - 0 Metalist Kharkiv - 14/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Positives:

0-0 is by a long shot the best first leg home draw you can get and people often forget how good a result it can be.  Score draw away and we're through.

Decent performance.

Clean sheet.

Negatives:

No goals, Cisse will be getting more frustrated.

We didn't blitz them so will have to play a full strength side next week to get through, perhaps impacting on our league form.

Guest magtrev

As much as I didn't like most of the second half performance. This should in a world where officials could do their job be going to plan with a couple goals going into to their place

At no point during that final move did Shola set foot in the box. Ambling about without a care in the f****in' world.

Meanwhile, Cisse makes up 20 yards on a hunch and almost gets us a priceless winner, yet people slag him...

I've never seen a post saying that Cisse isn't trying hard enough. I think 99% of people on here recognise that he just needs a couple of goals to get him going again. Straw man.

A couple of goals like tonight, you mean.

No, ones which are given. He'll be even more frustrated now. Which of course you understand.

Should have been at least 2-0, and Cisse still had time to miss two relative sitters.

Thought we played pretty well overall, hardly any hoofing at all against a side that came happy to get a draw.

At least we don't have to actually win away to go through, but I can already envisage the game over there tbh. Needed to win this.

Well, it was a very enjoyable nils-apiece. Certainly invoked a lot of passion on this most auspicious of commercial holidays.

Very pleased with the performance in general, but I think we needed a result tonight tbh. Can't see Pardew playing a team quite this strong in Kharkiv with the Southampton game the Sunday after, and us not quite home and dry (in terms of Premier League survival). Metalist will be a little bit more fit by then too.

Still hopeful, but I do feel like we've blown it a little bit. Marv really should have started as a sign of confidence. Before they tired towards the end, we were incapable of really creating much without blowing the game wide open - which is a bit of a problem. Marv has a Gouffran-esque guile which means we don't have to play end-to-end basketball to get a whiff.

This tournament is my remaining real excitement for the season. Really hope we take a strong team to Kharkiv and give it a real go, but ultimately think that we're reaching now.

Cisse... :sad: Different Demba, and we'd be through.

Anyway, soldier on to the return leg :clap2:

Thought we could have shown a bit more urgency in the second half really, but all in all it wasn't a bad performance, just disappointing we didn't get a goal. Cisse really just needs a bit of his luck to go his way; 2 disallowed goals and 3 chances saved by the keeper (although he should probably have done better with the chances). Pleased with the clean sheet but we really could have done with a win as well.

At no point during that final move did Shola set foot in the box. Ambling about without a care in the f****in' world.

Meanwhile, Cisse makes up 20 yards on a hunch and almost gets us a priceless winner, yet people slag him...

I've never seen a post saying that Cisse isn't trying hard enough. I think 99% of people on here recognise that he just needs a couple of goals to get him going again. Straw man.

A couple of goals like tonight, you mean.

No, ones which are given. He'll be even more frustrated now. Which of course you understand.

My point is that he's clearly back in form - beat the offside trap three times, finished well twice. On reflection, reckon it'll be a confidence booster for him. You understand.