Anzhi 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 07/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 37

Disco

People complaining after a 0-0 away draw. You pampered children, wish I had a 0-0 away result in Europe! :no:

Genuinely thought it was a good result for you after the bitch of away trip playing in Russia means.

I love it :lol:

Honestly can't fathom why people wouldn't be happy with that result.  -5, 3G pitch, patched team, away from home, no injuries, no suspensions, clean sheet.

Only way it could've been any better if we'd came away with an away goal.

I'm very happy with the result, I just think it's people's general nervousness about having to win the second leg coming through.

I don't think it's a fantastic result. An away goal/any serious attacking ambition would have ended the tie, and it was very much within our grasp.

Think a 0-0 away draw is generally a good result in European football, but just think about the second leg and what we know of our approach to football.

If we go a goal up, Pardew will try to protect that lead, not finish the tie - which leads us vulnerable to one goal putting us out. I'm just not as sanguine as everyone else though obviously :lol:

I'm very happy with the result, I just think it's people's general nervousness about having to win the second leg coming through.

I don't think it's a fantastic result. An away goal/any serious attacking ambition would have ended the tie, and it was very much within our grasp.

Think a 0-0 away draw is generally a good result in European football, but just think about the second leg and what we know of our approach to football.

If we go a goal up, Pardew will try to protect that lead, not finish the tie - which leads us vulnerable to one goal putting us out. I'm just not as sanguine as everyone else though obviously :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we're definitely through or that the next leg won't be hard. I just think that considering the defeat, injuries etc that we could have suffered the outcome was pretty pleasing. Clear task remains to beat them in the home leg.

Guest icemanblue

Any serious attacking ambition would have ended the tie? For us, perhaps. They were obviously very dangerous on the break, we were almost caught out a couple of times. That's why our set up was perfect, we limited those opportunities. But for a daft finish from Hatem, we'd have won that game 1-0. Over a two legged tie, I'd much rather we were cautious in the first leg (away, in Russia, on a plastic pitch, against one of the tournament favourites, etc). It's left us with a straightforward cup tie at home, albeit against very strong opposition. I'm happier going into that than having the option of drawing the game.

We need another striker as good as Cisse, if so then aye show some ambition and try and finish off the game. But as it is we did what we had to do with the squad we have available.

Any serious attacking ambition would have ended the tie? For us, perhaps. They were obviously very dangerous on the break, we were almost caught out a couple of times. That's why our set up was perfect, we limited those opportunities. But for a daft finish from Hatem, we'd have won that game 1-0. Over a two legged tie, I'd much rather we were cautious in the first leg (away, in Russia, on a plastic pitch, against one of the tournament favourites, etc). It's left us with a straightforward cup tie at home, albeit against very strong opposition. I'm happier going into that than having the option of drawing the game.

:thup:

Anzhi's "poor play" was down to how we played. They showed more than enough in the way they moved the ball around to show they could easily cut us apart if we allowed them the space to do so.

Pet hate of mine (the commentators were very annoying) is claiming the opposition weren't up for it/had a poor night when it's actually the other team who are dictating this. Anzhi are a quality side who looked a bit toothless because of the way we played, not the way they played.

What's their away record like in Europe?

EDIT: Looks like they lost two away group games, drew with Udinese and drew 1-1 with Hannover (last minute equaliser when Hannover were throwing every one forward to get the second goal they needed).

Guest neesy111

It was a poor performance and in the context of knock-out cup football, a poor result.

http://0.media.todaysbigthing.cvcdn.com/66/84/b281a68ecf4a0746b08d24137393ef6f.gif

Decent result, all things considered. I would've desperately loved an away goal but we'll have to make do without.

My blood pressure is already drastically raised in readiness for Thursday, it's going to be horrendous to sit through. :lol:

Guest Phil K

Dunno about anyone else, but I was pleased with 0-0 would have preferred a 1-1 or 2-2 of course, but an away draw is fine.

Sharks are gay.

What was the name of those daft sharks in Viz again ?

It was a poor performance and in the context of knock-out cup football, a poor result.

At least you managed to limit your weapons grade horseshit to one line for a change.

an away draw, in the first leg in the latter stages of a european competition, on a plastic pitch, against a team unbeaten at home in european or domestic competition (in fact they have won 15 out of 18) is a poor result ?

fuck me, this place at times. haters just gonna hate eh!