Newcastle 1 - 0 Anzhi - 14/03/13 (1 - 0 on agg) post-match reaction from page 36

Dave

Tabs are class man, Stifler.

Unbelievable that we played 180 minutes of goalless football then scored with the last touch of the tie. Fantastic stuff and I can't wait for the draw.

2 goals in 360 minutes, mind. :lol: Will be interesting to see if we're so cagey in the next round.

Opportunity of a lifetime.

Got a feeling we're gonna notice Debuchy and Gouffran missing quite a bit more as the competition goes on.

Anyone see the Russian bird in the Milburn stand waving the flag?

Looked areet from where I was sitting. Didnt know what steak and blowjob was in Russian though unfortunately

They had a full block with stewards around them, I guess it was team friends/family?

My word. I thought at half time that we honestly didn't have enough in us to see them off, but we stepped it up a bit in the second half and looked more of a threat. We managed to play some lovely flowing football at times. But tbh I can't really think of much past that last ditch goal. :lol: :lol: Don't think I've ever seen us win like that.

Into the hat we go. :aww:

Overall Im very encouraged by our performances lately. Keeping it on the deck so much more, just not incisive yet. Hopefully that will come, but playing much better football.

Quite impressed by Anzhi Center Backs and Juselei

I wasn't able to see the game, but the goal came at exactly the right time - no time for them to try for an equaliizer, which was vital.

The comments about Marveaux don't surprise me - I always thought he had class and since he had the op in the summer, he has been really good ; I did see the goal on the news and his ball in was excellent, similar to the one that created a goal for Ba at Arsenal. He can see a great pass long before any player on the books with the possible exception of Cabaye.

Taylor seems to have come of age now as a CB but the problem is keeping him fit - the thought of Williamson joining MYM is a bit scary...it was vital to keep a clean sheet and full marks to the CBs for doing it.

From what I've read, we are not creating enough chances in the box and I still reckon a new striker is vital in summer. As for the rest of the tournament, its going to be tough now ; I still wouldn't fancy us against Chelsea over 2 legs although we MIGHT have a chance v Spurs ; Fenerbache is a really tough nut because Turkey is not a good place to go to get a result and Italian teams are always tough to beat.

We have done well to get this far - when we won this competition in 1969, we didn't have a problem scoring goals....4 against Feyenoord, 5 v Vitoria Setubal, 3(home AND away) v Ujpest in the Final....even when we had a really tough gane against Zaragoza we managed goals in the away leg that enabled us to get through on the AG ruling after narrowly beating them at SJP.

No such goal feast this time and we will need to step up the goal threat if we want to progress...and not just from one or two players either....

We're far too cautious and too often we've only got one player in the box to aim at, sometimes we've got nobody at all to aim at.  Santon ran one ball right to the line and looked up only to see that he had nobody making a run, his ball in was poor and I think that was mainly because of the lack of bodies.  He looked and saw nobody and was in two minds about what to do so ended up losing possession.

Yes, agree with this in the games I have seen Mick ; I suppose Pardew had some excuse this time because an away goal for them would have been catastrophic but in general we are too slow to build attacks and too negative, hence the low scoring rate.

Not enough people attacking the ball when the likes of Debuchy get it into the box from a decent cross and this is going to come back and bite us on the ar-- eventually...that was why I made the comments about the 69 Fairs Cup win and although Pop Robson was a regular scorer, we got goals from other players too with Moncur scoring 3 over the two legs of the Final....too much responsibility on Cisse now.

Guest Roger Kint

Was anything mentioned on the commentry about the smoke bomb being let off in the Milburn level 7? Hop the Uefa officicals were facing the east stand and didn't see it.

Rather the pricks didnt go to our games if thats what they do every Euro game tbh. Why bother? Same as the tossers who ran on the pitch for 3 games in a row or whatever it was.

I thought it was a thoroughly absorbing game and Anji were as good a side as I've seen at SJP this season. Like the first leg it was a real tactical duel with two superb defences limiting clear cut chances. At half time I'd have taken penalties but second half we looked the better side.

To think that we won such a difficult tie without six players who would probably make our first choice XI is very encouraging.

Special mention to Taylor and Marveaux - both outstanding on the night.

Was anything mentioned on the commentry about the smoke bomb being let off in the Milburn level 7? Hop the Uefa officicals were facing the east stand and didn't see it.

Rather the pricks didnt go to our games if thats what they do every Euro game tbh. Why bother? Same as the tossers who ran on the pitch for 3 games in a row or whatever it was.

Aye, I was to the right of it. After I while I could smell it, some right special ones went last night.

Guest Roger Kint

Aye, I was to the right of it. After I while I could smell it, some right special ones went last night.

Europe has shown how many tosspots support us this year. Absolutely no need at all to do it every game.

Have to say I'm really surprise and the glowing responses. I thought we looked cagey and cautious pretty much the way through with little movement and urgency given the gravity of the game.

I don't think it was lost on anyone what a goal for them would have meant and that had a huge bearing on the way the game played out. Had we gone behind it would have been a totally different game, possibly more pleasing to the eye but most probably ending in defeat.

I thought we got it spot on and considering the quality of the opposition and their coach it was a great performance.

I thought it was a thoroughly absorbing game and Anji were as good a side as I've seen at SJP this season. Like the first leg it was a real tactical duel with two superb defences limiting clear cut chances. At half time I'd have taken penalties but second half we looked the better side.

To think that we won such a difficult tie without six players who would probably make our first choice XI is very encouraging.

Special mention to Taylor and Marveaux - both outstanding on the night.

The one thing letting us down is ideas in the last third, we controlled the ball well in 2nd half, calm in possession but in final third our moves to often break down because of a lack of movement and drive. If we sort that out we will be a hell of a team, our defence is growing with every game and Mbiwa looks fantastic. Need Ben Arfa back big style, could be difference between going out and getting to final

Guest Howaythetoon

We were once again very poor and although we won, we were very lucky to win. Had they remained with 11 men there was only ever going to be one winner. We rarely created a chance, humped it long far too often, had Cisse isolated and Sissoko playing as some kind of winger. The only stand out performance was Taylor, Jonas when he came on and Elliott and Marveux were good too, although the latter struggled at times as he kept running into bodies. Tactically you could say Pardew's plan worked, we set up not to concede and to hope that someone like Cisse would put one away. At home though with the quality we have we really need to start bossing games and moving that ball around much better. We will not reach the semis playing the way we are. Anzhi could have been out of sight if not for Taylor and a lack of clinical finishing.

Europe has shown how many tosspots support us this year. Absolutely no need at all to do it every game.

Can't understand how few regulars around last night. I'd imagine it will be all ticket from now on though with a much higher uptake by season ticket holders.

We were once again very poor and although we won, we were very lucky to win. Had they remained with 11 men there was only ever going to be one winner. We rarely created a chance, humped it long far too often, had Cisse isolated and Sissoko playing as some kind of winger. The only stand out performance was Taylor, Jonas when he came on and Elliott and Marveux were good too, although the latter struggled at times as he kept running into bodies. Tactically you could say Pardew's plan worked, we set up not to concede and to hope that someone like Cisse would put one away. At home though with the quality we have we really need to start bossing games and moving that ball around much better. We will not reach the semis playing the way we are. Anzhi could have been out of sight if not for Taylor and a lack of clinical finishing.

Can't forget we have not conceded a goal in last 4 European games, even if we have only scored 2 goals we are proving hard to beat, if we can add that edge and ruthlessness to attacking play we could get through to final. Still a long shot I think

Guest Roger Kint

Can't understand how few regulars around last night. I'd imagine it will be all ticket from now on though with a much higher uptake by season ticket holders.

I noticed that when i had my season ticket, only 2/3 of the usuals ever went to European or cup games, often had big groups of students or Scandos sitting round me with little interest in the game.

If we'd have 'gone' for them, they'd definitely have caught us on the break, far too risky with the away goals rule. We played it perfectly in the second half, we were the better team in terms of possession, even before the sending off, but had to be patient, their game plan was evident.