Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Guest Benfica_1904

Did Pardew really say that?

he said that Benfica would play for the first 10 places... he could has been said that we play for top 5

I'm looking forward to this now, tired of this defeatist attitude I've had the past week. Its the QF of the Europa League man, anything can happen. Benfica look a massive outfit, but so did Anzhi.  Our European form is decent and here's to hoping we play with some fight and shock everyone.

he said that Benfica would play for the first 10 places... he could has been said that we play for top 5

Pardew considers Top 10 a monumental achievement though cos he's a strange man.

Did you read Bruno's post? Anyway, to presume you would automatically top anyone but the current top 4 in the Premiership is a huge underestimation of the strength in depth of the Premiership if you ask me. I hate to break it to you, but you haven't exactly dominated your own league in the past decade.

Tbf to Shola IMO at least he has performed well in Europe this season.

We're playing Benfica. It would be an insult to football if Alan Pardew starts Shola Ameobi against Benfica.

It won't happen though.

I'm aware of that, just felt like mentioning it  :lol:

Benfica is much better than Everton ( 5-0, 0-2 tie),

While I can hardly deny you're better than us, it should be said we were missing quite literally an entire team for the first game, and still a fuckload of players for the 2nd. Think it'd be a close game nowadays.

Benfica wouldn't be guaranteed top 5 just as Chelsea weren't last season (when they won the Champions League). There's only really the 2 Manchester clubs who will be guaranteed a place there next season imo.

Agreed, honestly they could honestly finish 3rd( as could Porto btw) but they could also quite easily finish 5th/6th.

The CL places would be very competitive for most teams coming into the league, except for maybe Juve, Bayern, Dortmund etc etc.

Its pie in the sky at the end of the day though as nothing like this would ever happen.

Guest Benfica_1904

Did you read Bruno's post? Anyway, to presume you would automatically top anyone but the current top 4 in the Premiership is a huge underestimation of the strength in depth of the Premiership if you ask me. I hate to break it to you, but you haven't exactly dominated your own league in the past decade.

ok, but when we look at the recent matches with english top teams, we see that it wasn't so impossible to play in a league with them for a title.

Last year, we draw 1-1 at home, and 2-2 in old trafford. Then in QF of Champions league we were clearly better than chelsea, the referee decided the tie. Against Liverpool, 2 years ago, we won at home and the lost in anfield but we play with some 2nd line players. Last year too, we beat Arsenal for 2-1 in our stadium in august for eusebio cup

While I can hardly deny you're better than us, it should be said we were missing quite literally an entire team for the first game, and still a fuckload of players for the 2nd. Think it'd be a close game nowadays.

What's in my opinion easily underestimated is how the big clubs from smaller competitions like Portugal or Holland can concentrate on their European campaign and still remain competitive domestically. In the bigger leagues, you can hardly afford to play less than at full strength, so these squads play many more high level games. To say a team like Benfica or Ajax would automatically be a top 5 side in the Premiership by virtue of their domestic dominance (even that is questionable in all honesty in both cases mentioned) or their results in Europe is a bit naive really.

Chelsea won the Champions League, beating Barcelona and Bayern Munich along the way whilst simultaneously finishing 6th in the Premiership and conceding a 2-0 defeat at home to us.

It's very likely that Benfica would challenge in the top 5, but they would be amongst Man U, Man C, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal. And just outside of that you have Everton and Liverpool (if they sort themselves out). Newcastle could easily get back amongst it as well with a bit of investment in the summer (providing Pardew doesn't relegate us like).

In short, I do think Benfica would finish top 5, maybe even top 3. But it wouldn't be a certainty by any means.

Guest Benfica_1904

What's in my opinion easily underestimated is how the bug clubs from smaller competitions like Portugal or Holland can concentrate on their European campaign and still remain competitive domestically. In the bigger leagues, you can hardly afford to play less than at full strength, so these squads play many more high level games. To say a team like Benfica or Ajax would automatically be a top 5 side in the Premiership by virtue of their domestic dominance (even that is questionable in all honesty in both cases mentioned) or their results in Europe is a bit naive really.

So, if we can win to arsenal, liverpool, and draw in old trafford, do you think we couldnt beat teams like west broom, swansea etc... lol ??

I cant say we could win regulary against united, city, etc... but against the other small clubs ?? I dont agree with you in that point...

Guest Benfica_1904

Chelsea won the Champions League, beating Barcelona and Bayern Munich along the way whilst simultaneously finishing 6th in the Premiership and conceding a 2-0 defeat at home to us.

It's very likely that Benfica would challenge in the top 5, but they would be amongst Man U, Man C, Tottenham, Chelsea and Arsenal. And just outside of that you have Everton and Liverpool (if they sort themselves out). Newcastle could easily get back amongst it as well with a bit of investment in the summer (providing Pardew doesn't relegate us like).

In short, I do think Benfica would finish top 5, maybe even top 3. But it wouldn't be a certainty by any means.

totally agree

ok, but when we look at the recent matches with english top teams, we see that it wasn't so impossible to play in a league with them for a title.

Last year, we draw 1-1 at home, and 2-2 in old trafford. Then in QF of Champions league we were clearly better than chelsea, the referee decided the tie. Against Liverpool, 2 years ago, we won at home and the lost in anfield but we play with some 2nd line players. Last year too, we beat Arsenal for 2-1 in our stadium in august for eusebio cup

You shouldn't underestimate the fact these teams have a much more competitive league to compete in week in week out.

Its a lot easier to concentrate or prioritise big CL games when you don't have to face such difficult games consistently.

Do not be deceived though, i'm aware you are a very good team you have shown it enough, but league is a marathon and not a KO affair.

Because you beat a big team in Europe don't automatically mean you can finish above them in a league... personally i think the biggest disadvantage you would have coming into our league ( in this hypothetical situation) is the squad depth.

You could easily finish very high as i said but also finish a bit lower due to the lack of squad depth as i mentioned.

We do respect Benfica though.... how could we not you are a CL level team and Pardew will realise that as idiotic as he maybe sometimes.

Guest Spark

Pardew rated us very high: saying that we were one of the best teams in Europe, favorites, etc. The rest is portuguese press™, as I stated before.

Aye. Your mate is getting his knickers in a twist, though.

What's in my opinion easily underestimated is how the bug clubs from smaller competitions like Portugal or Holland can concentrate on their European campaign and still remain competitive domestically. In the bigger leagues, you can hardly afford to play less than at full strength, so these squads play many more high level games. To say a team like Benfica or Ajax would automatically be a top 5 side in the Premiership by virtue of their domestic dominance (even that is questionable in all honesty in both cases mentioned) or their results in Europe is a bit naive really.

So, if we can win to arsenal, liverpool, and draw in old trafford, do you think we couldnt beat teams like west broom, swansea etc... lol ??

I cant say we could win regulary against united, city, etc... but against the other small clubs ?? I dont agree with you in that point...

I think I've made my point clear. I'm from Holland, and I know first hand a team like Ajax can beat Man City in a single match, or maybe even in a knockout situation in Europe, but they would never be able to seriously compete with them in the Premiership because they wouldn't be able to rest players, or play at 50% in the second half the weekend before because they're already 3-0 up at half time against some no mark Eredivisie team. It's just not the same thing. But seeing as you seem so extremely convinced you would easily compete for the top 4 in the Premiership, you must be all but certain that you will beat Newcastle in this upcoming tie. We are just a lower table Premiership side after all..?