Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Only Barcelona have beaten them at home this season and aside from that they've won all but 2 of their home games.

It's going to be a hell of a task.

Score draw would be delightful, but something like a 2-1 defeat could still be positive enough provided we're willing to attack the second leg. Even 3-1 isn't the end of the world if it's followed by a full SJP and a mental atmosphere/"go for it" attitude. Do think we need to score, unless it's another 0-0 of course.

Madly excited for it, despite today.

Only Barcelona have beaten them at home this season and aside from that they've won all but 2 (Braga and Porto) of their home games.

While that is true Celtic lost 2-1 and i don't know about you i would take a 2-1 right now tbh.

Definitely. I think we'll have to get an away goal to progress.

They're a lot stronger than anyone we've faced thus far and should be a lot more used to playing teams that park the bus.

The best we can hope for is a dreadful waste of 2 hours.

Come on, now!

In other words a magnificent 0-0.

Would imagine this is what we'll go for, going by the lack of goals in our last 4 ties.

It does worry me what will happen if we go 1 down, but we'll see.

Only Barcelona have beaten them at home this season and aside from that they've won all but 2 (Braga and Porto) of their home games.

While that is true Celtic lost 2-1 and i don't know about you i would take a 2-1 right now tbh.

Off-topic: Still don't know how we finished behind Celtic. The quality difference was considerable. Anyway, they had one chance against Barcelona and scored, we had 5 clear chances in Camp Nou and not even one goal. So fair-play to them.

Benfica 2 - 1 Celtic statistics (UEFA)

http://www.abload.de/img/aamnrze.jpg

Barcelona 0 - 0 Benfica statistics (UEFA)

http://www.abload.de/img/bbb14ocy.jpg

On-topic: Individually, there's no doubt in my mind that you guys are superior to Celtic. They have Wanyama, Forster (tremendous in Estadio da Luz), maybe one or two more quality players. I could say Samaras, or Hooper, although I'm not a big fan. But overall, you've a far better squad. Still, two things to consider: Injuries, injuries and more injuries. Alan Pardew.

As is the case with Newcastle, we put in a shite, limp, no effort performance in the game prior to save ourselves for the 'big' game and we invarably put in a similar shite performance in said 'big' game. Hope I am wrong.

Guest WashyGeordie

Geordies had a plan were going to Amsterdam. We went to Brugge Bordeaux and maritimo, we went to Kharkiv and went to Moscoow...Geordies in Europe and on we still goooo!

(Come on you Geordies sing... tune)

Off-topic: Still don't know how we finished behind Celtic. The quality difference was considerable. Anyway, they had one chance against Barcelona and scored, we had 5 clear chances in Camp Nou and not even one goal. So fair-play to them.

Benfica 2 - 1 Celtic statistics (UEFA)

http://www.abload.de/img/aamnrze.jpg

Barcelona 0 - 0 Benfica statistics (UEFA)

http://www.abload.de/img/bbb14ocy.jpg

On-topic: Individually, there's no doubt in my mind that you guys are superior to Celtic. They have Wanyama, Forster (tremendous in Estadio da Luz), maybe one or two more quality players. I could say Samaras, or Hooper, although I'm not a big fan. But overall, you've a far better squad. Still, two things to consider: Injuries, injuries and more injuries. Alan Pardew.

Oh i agree without a doubt, just that if we get that result i'll be very happy.