Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

thoughts, Taylor for the pen always a liability, taylor again at fault for the continuing passing back to the keeper placing Krul under pressure then giving it to Santon who dropped a rick. It appears to me there is too much passing back to the keeper and Taylor not a great defender for me as previously stated always a liability.

Guest benfiquista

Nerve-wracking.

I nearly threw the remote at my TV yesterday at our appaling defence and the lack of action from our coach. Newcastle were exploiting our defence from the same side every single time and nothing was done until the second half.

Praise has to be given to NUFC for such an unexpected approach to the game which really caught Benfica off-guard.

Looking forward to the second leg now. Roles will be inverted as Benfica can sit back and exploit the counter, whereas NUFC will have to penetrate our defence with patience and not speed.

Classy NUFC fans by the way.

I thought Benfica looked shit when we attacked them and there should be goals in this still for us.

Converesly i thought we looked shit when Benfica attacked us and there should still be goals in it for them!!

Agree with this. There's no way they won't score at our place, so we might as well just go for it. Their quality in possession and movement the difference last night.

Gaitan and Rodrigo were both very impressive, the latter was Benfica's best player before being subbed.

Cardozo for me; there is a reason he's still in Portugal despite scoring so much. Very limited and was largely dealt with by our CB's.

Having slept on it, our performance was very good up until Santon's disastrous pass, which I still think derives from our lack of movement, it wasn't the only time during the game that their pressure got to us and we lost the ball in a vulnerable situation, this one of course being more than vulnerable.

That goal took the sting out of us, but at 2-1 they weren't satisfied. We could have done with some pace (Obertan or Campbell) to threaten them, but instead, Pardew did nothing. That's one of the few aspects he got wrong.

Game is actually very open for next week, especially if we have 2-3 players back. Imagine if Hatem could be involved, I'd actually believe for real.

Have to recharge and pick ourselves up for Sunday now, as big a game as this was, if not bigger.

I can't see them playing such a suicidal high backline at SJP.  If not for the post twice and Marveaux choosing not to pass, Cisse could have easily had 4 goals.  Granted they had a lot of chances themselves, but we looked like we'd weathered the strom until we gifted them 2 sitters.  That's what hurts most really.  If one of their quality passing moves ended in a goal, or one of their potshots from outside the box flew in.  Then fair enough.  But we've imploded and gift wrapped them the tie.

I think 1-1 would have been a fantastic result, 2-1 would have been ok, 3-1 is just too much.  I think we'll leave a lot of space attacking them and they've supposedly been scoring a lot away from home in Europe.  I just don't think we'll be able to keep a clean sheet and I don't see us scoring 3 or 4 goals!

If we score in the first 20 minutes, I think the crowd will believe and we could actually pull it off.  Going to be a nerve wracking game though! 

It's very unlikely now, but considering that the inside of a post denied us twice and we threw away two calamitous goals it's not impossible.

One certainty is that there will be goals at SJP in the return leg.

Just a shame that due to being cheated out of a result at Wigan the Benfica return is now only the third most important game we'll play next week.

Guest firetotheworks

As far as I'm concerned, we scored all of the goals last night. The Krul one you can forgive because he's rusty, but the other two are idiotic.

I thought Benfica looked shit when we attacked them and there should be goals in this still for us.

Converesly i thought we looked shit when Benfica attacked us and there should still be goals in it for them!!

Which is why we are out unfortunately. Our gameplan and attitude under Pardew has always been too cautious for us to suddenly attack Benfica in the manner they came at us. When we have suddenly tried to do it in previous games it's usually ended in disaster because we aren't used to it. We just haven't been drilled enough to go at teams with real conviction so I expect a Jekyll and Hyde performance next week with Benfica going through.

Guest firetotheworks

Not sure if its been discussed, but Marveux missed an absolute sitter cross when he tried to come in on his left, instead of passing with his right. Should have been a goal that.

Definitely. On another night it's 3-1 4-1 to us. Weird match, but our own fault.

thoughts, Taylor for the pen always a liability, taylor again at fault for the continuing passing back to the keeper placing Krul under pressure then giving it to Santon who dropped a rick. It appears to me there is too much passing back to the keeper and Taylor not a great defender for me as previously stated always a liability.

Hellaw, hellaw, what's this revisionist interpretation of the match in order to suit your point?

Santon gained possession from a second ball out of the Benfica half, he took it down well but was quickly closed down...unfortunately for him, he (presumably) had the two players distorting his line of sight across the back line and didn't realise Lima was lurking until it was too late. Not sure how Taylor is at fault for this :lol:

The penalty was a bizarre situation, not helped by Taylor's insistence on trying to use his MASSIVE CHEST instead of his forehead.

Not sure if its been discussed, but Marveux missed an absolute sitter cross when he tried to come in on his left, instead of passing with his right. Should have been a goal that.

Definitely. On another night it's 3-1 4-1 to us. Weird match, but our own fault.

Wasn't massively impressed by Marveaux at all, certainly not to the extent that people on here have been (MOTM nominations?!) - thought he was looking well short of confidence whenever the ball was nearer our goal than theirs. Similarly, for the one or two chances he created with a good pass selection or dribble, he made some very poor choices to cut short or waste an opening, something we couldn't really afford. Even Jonas seemed to sense that the match wasn't one for wasting possession...

Oh, and HB KI

Just got home after being "kettled".

Anyone still think Benfica are world beaters? They were very average again.

Unfortunately we were s**** .

One of the best in Europe according to Pardew

They are dog toffee, shame we couldn't give them a game.

Not sure who to blame, depressing.

:lol:

Classic reaction. I get you're p*ssed off with the manner of the goals, anyone would be. But there's a natural tendency to think the opposition wasn't any good when you're blaming yourselves for a defeat.

They weren't world beating, they weren't brilliant, but they were good. Their passing and movement was clearly superior and thus deserved to win the game. Despite that however the tie is far from over due to their very slack defending.

But yes, can totally see why you'd be p*ssed off at how the goals came about.

I watch them every week and don't rate them, I think a decent team would take them to the cleaners.

In my opinion they are very average, bar a couple of stupid mistakes we could have been set tonight so yes I am frustrated.

Benfica are basically rubbish. They'd struggle to finish in the top8 of the PL. We had almost complete chillax for the first 45min in their stadium. I still think they will collapse if we score early...Crying like babies and diving and holding their faces and the usual South American rigmarole. Benfica are a fraud in a league that is is championship level bar 2/3 sides.

Could easily have been 3-3. :lol:

Guest neesy111

Wasn't massively impressed by Marveaux at all, certainly not to the extent that people on here have been (MOTM nominations?!) - thought he was looking well short of confidence whenever the ball was nearer our goal than theirs. Similarly, for the one or two chances he created with a good pass selection or dribble, he made some very poor choices to cut short or waste an opening, something we couldn't really afford. Even Jonas seemed to sense that the match wasn't one for wasting possession...

Oh, and HB KI

:anguish:

Classic reaction. I get you're p*ssed off with the manner of the goals, anyone would be. But there's a natural tendency to think the opposition wasn't any good when you're blaming yourselves for a defeat.

They weren't world beating, they weren't brilliant, but they were good. Their passing and movement was clearly superior and thus deserved to win the game. Despite that however the tie is far from over due to their very slack defending.

I watch them every week and don't rate them, I think a decent team would take them to the cleaners.

In my opinion they are very average, bar a couple of stupid mistakes we could have been set tonight so yes I am frustrated.

You should pop to Specsavers the next time you're over in England; they're one of the better European teams and have a ridiculous amount of attacking talent for a non-'elite' club (Spa, Ger, Ita, Eng, etc).

That Barca team are generally considered 'decent' aren't they?

Oh, and HB KI

:anguish:

You press 'show post' just to type that...? It's not nice to be mean about KI's birthday.

Not sure why Pardew is exempt from any blame for last night.  Yes, we were set up well/started well.  But the regular and fucking frustrating habit we have of retrenching and trying to defend a draw/lead is a fucking joke.  Its negative and our plays cannot and do not deal with at all, we crumble every time.

The whole mindset of the team is his doing.  The whole attitude of the team is his doing.

We defend terribly and have done all season, this is his doing.

OK, he is not to blame for Santon and Taylor gifting two goals but the overall shape, mindset and attitude of the team is his fault.  Considering the money we spent in Jan, this team should look like it is (slowly) improving (look at Liverpool) but its not.

He is blind to our short comings IMO.

Even if we go 2 up next week, he will have us sitting back to protect it and we all know what will happen then.

:lol: Embarrassing.

They were the superior team but all of their goals were handed to them by poor defensive mistakes and lapses in concentration. Sort that out and we are more than capable of getting the two goals we need against them.