Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't really give a shit about rugby, but just saw Newcastle Falcons won the championship, winning 21 and losing 1, finishing on 98 points, 24 ahead of second place.  But promotion is based on a play-off! They lost their second game of the season today, in the semi-final first leg, to 4th placed Leeds who had 31 fewer points!

What a load of bollicks :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/20/premier-league-review-innovations-future

Premier League play-offs

There is an obvious antidote to anti-climaxes, as followers of the Championship, League One and League Two know full well. And why should the lower leagues have better endings than the top flight? Introducing play-offs for the last Champions League spot and the last relegation spot would guarantee extra excitement and mean more teams would have something tasty to play for towards the conclusion of the regular season.

FFS Mike.

The only way I would have play offs in the prem, is maybe making the last champions league place up for grabs from the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th place.

I could see this happening at some point. Too much money to be made.

You might want to limit it to four teams though.  ;)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/5/22/1369230882515/wtf.gif

I can see some of the appeal tbh, but I like that the league is about the long run of games and play offs dilute that, for the same reasons wish that Champions league would get rid of the group stages and just make it knockout from day 1, should be either all one way or all the other :p

We'd never be able to cope with extra playoff games if we made them. Imagine those two games a week again like this season! Doesn't bare thinking about!!

I personally think the 4th Champions League place should go to the FA Cup winners.  :snod:

I personally think there should only be 1 Champions League place for each country.

Agreed, but whilst the system is in place, I think the last place should go to the FA Cup to give the competition some more importance, and gives it more authority as a 'champions' league.

why not have a play off system where each team involved plays each other home and away, points could be awarded for winning games, and less points for drawing them, nothing for a defeat. the team with the most points is deemed the winner of these play offs. if teams have the same points, goal difference could be used to seperate them.

why not have a play off system where each team involved plays each other home and away, points could be awarded for winning games, and less points for drawing them, nothing for a defeat. the team with the most points is deemed the winner of these play offs. if teams have the same points, goal difference could be used to seperate them.

Booooooooorrriiiinnngggg. wnw

Booooooooorrriiiinnngggg. wnw

It's a novel idea mind.

• 7 months later...