Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• 1 year later...

Norwegian league wanted to implement play-offs from next season, backed by Rosenborg, Molde and Vålerenga (three biggest teams in Norway) and only one relegation spot (plus one relegation play-off spot against four teams in the second division). Got voted down :( :( :(

The relegation thing still got implemented though :anguish:

I mean, what sport has suffered because they added playoffs? Get rid of the league cup that no one cares about, move the league fixtures into those old LC spots. You only need three matches if you go one and done.

Top eight teams like in NBA/NHL make it. One and done. No legs, no agg. Final top eight standings determined by winner, 2nd place, winner of 3rd, loser of 3rd place playoff. Then 4-8 could be GD.

Gives every team something to play for all year. Midtable teams pushing for that 8th spot, get a chance to compete for the trophy.

Best team isn't always the team in first.

:lol: I'll f*** off. I'm just saying, is all.

http://www.hwaetglennabolas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/what.gif

Should just be the top placed teams from The North West, North East, Midlands and South in a knockout tournament of 4 with a 3rd/4th placed playoff. Winner gets the Premier League title, 2nd and 3rd Champions League Group stages, 4th placed has the bad luck of having to go through the CL Qualifcation stage.

The FA didn't listen to my idea about scrapping the Charity Shield and having the Premier league winners versus the England team so they wont listen to this.

Depends what you want innit. Playoffs are fun, a great spectacle etc. They don't give you the best team in the league, but they give you the team that performs the best against top opposition, with a heavy sprinkling of random chance. It's not like it's that hard to comprehend why it's fun. People enjoy the FA cup and the Champions League finals...

Depends what you want innit. Playoffs are fun, a great spectacle etc. They don't give you the best team in the league, but they give you the team that performs the best against top opposition, with a heavy sprinkling of random chance. It's not like it's that hard to comprehend why it's fun. People enjoy the FA cup and the Champions League finals...

Which is why we have separate cup competitions. The best team in the country should be decided over the course of a league campaign, as it has been since 1888. Change is it good.

Playoffs would lead to negative, boring teams winning the league. For example that boring as fuck Chelsea team in Mourinho's first season back would probably have won the league

Explain. Barcelona have done pretty well in cup competitions like. I don't find them to be negative.

Five or ten years ago you might have convinced me given the top 4 monopoly, but this is one of the most unpredictable and balanced Premier League seasons I can remember. Every weekend is interesting.

I'm all for giving the FA Cup winner a Champions League place. That would be a great change.

I'd also be open to a four team playoff between 4-7 for the last CL spot, since 4th is hardly a champion anyway.

Which is why we have separate cup competitions. The best team in the country should be decided over the course of a league campaign, as it has been since 1888. Change is it good.

So as I said, it just depends what you want. You want the categorical best team over 10 months to be the champion, so you go league. Others would prefer the team that can perform in high pressure situations, against the best teams in the league. Both are reasonable enough IMO. Personally, I'm bored as fuck with football, so would take playoffs just for the lols.

Playoffs would lead to negative, boring teams winning the league. For example that boring as fuck Chelsea team in Mourinho's first season back would probably have won the league

Explain. Barcelona have done pretty well in cup competitions like. I don't find them to be negative.

No teams as good as Barcelona in England. In games between top teams where there isn't any clear better team the better team defensively tends to win

No teams as good as Barcelona in England. In games between top teams where there isn't any clear better team the better team defensively tends to win

giphy.gif

I don't know what to argue against there like. If that's such an issue, it seems like a better idea to fix the game, rather than allow it to affect how we structure tournaments.

As it stands today, if a team has found a way to beat another team, I don't have any problem with how they do it.