Alan Pardew

Mike

I am far more pro Pardew than most on here, but to not even try to get Benitez would be to reach amazing levels of stupidity. Benitez wants to stay in england, he isn't going to be at Chelsea next season, or Man U, City, Arsenal or Spurs. If we decided to replace Pardew we would essentially only be competing against Everton and teams from countries the guy doesn't want to manage in. Even if we had just had a relatively decent season, the prospect of getting a manger with a CV like Benitez's should be enough to prompt a change in manager. After the season we have just endured it's a no brainer.

:thup:

it is true beni wants to stay in england, it showed after he left lfc that he waited a year and a half until chelsea came up,  but us trying for him would be a waste of time, he can wait another 18 months for a top job in england but he certainly wont wait on nufc even if the job becomes available tomorrow, spurs perhaps one day? 

Would be crazy for us to not even try though, surely questions have to be asked by MA and co, he can only say no and he would have the tools to make us a solid team.

Our only hope of Pardew getting the sack is if he confronts Ashley or challenges him on how the club is ran which is how Keegan and Hughton both fell foul to the powers that be. KK famously for not accepting having players brought in behind his back and Hughton for siding with the players over bonuses and other political disputes.

I'm sure Pardew would love more of a say when it comes to player recruitment and should there be this much talked about end of season review perhaps he will go into it laying some of or most of the blame for our season at the lack of investment in the summer and his minority role in player recruitment.

If he goes into the meeting demanding this or that player or this or that certain type of player, Ashley after investing so much in January may well tell him to do one. Or he may well listen and agree to sign some of the players Pardew would clearly like, namely someone like Andy Carroll if not Carroll himself.

If that is to be the case I'm all for it because I do feel we would do better and with it Pardew too, with a team that is better suited to how the manager wants us to play and the tactics he prefers, which our current squad with the exception of a few, simply aren't suited to.

Being sensible (I know...) for a moment, as much as I'd like to see him peddled and regard him as one of if not the worst manager in the league, we cannot afford to simply get in just anyone because they are not Pardew. His replacement must be someone who can get the very best out of the squad and develop a brand of football that sits easy with everyone concerned, most importantly the fans.

I'm resigned to him being here at the start of the new season though :(

This is the one point that will bury him in the long run. There is a distinct conflict of interest between the type of player we are scouting/employing and the type of player that suits Pardews desire to play the game.

Ashley has a blueprint of players he wants to buy, these players are not suited to the game Pardew plays (jumpers) and this (let the straw clutching begin) could be the boiling point in their relationship.

Not only that (which is painfully obvious with the scouting/deployment of Vurnon Anita). There's also a quite obvious discrepancy in what we need and what we buy at times.

Just look at his comments about Remy/Sissoko with regards to what was done in January. He complains about the lack of goals because we didn't sign Remy. What we needed was goals after Ba left.

At any other club, the obvious way to go would after missing out on Remy, would be to try for another striker rather than going for Sissoko instead, mainly because he was a "good deal" at the time.

He's aiming indirect critisism at the way the club does business - cause we will never go for a play that we need over one that represents a good financial deal.

As much as I hate Pardew, he has a point on this one, the blueprint has its flaws and this being point and case, it took them too long to replace Carroll and it has taken them too long to replace Ba. We had no choice in losing Ba, but we had a choice to replace him, the blueprint prevented us from doing that as there was no 'bargain' strikers on our radar. Packing the midfield and burying our head in the sand hoping that Cisse can carry the team injury free was criminal.

Benitez' football is very boring mind, but very effective. Take last night for example. Very organised, very well drilled, they did not panic in possession or gave it away cheaply but as an attacking force they were very conservative and almost like a cat ready to pounce in terms of getting at the opposition. They rarely forced the issue. That's the way Benitez sets his sides up to play. I don't think I'd particularly enjoy that kind of football but its not nothing football that hinges on a few things, its a system designed to win games in certain ways and it works regardless as he has shown at Valencia, Liverpool and now Chelsea. 3 differing clubs with different players and challenges. He's a master tactician and would have us defensively strong and able to win games home and away in critical matches. He would have eventually won the league with Liverpool in my opinion.

As far as Liverpool goes he was unlucky not to win it in that year where they lost twice all season, i don't like the club at all but i do admit he ran them within a whisker of winning the league.

Almost glad he didn't though, would have never hear the end of it from the Scousers.

Guest Howaythetoon

Our only hope of Pardew getting the sack is if he confronts Ashley or challenges him on how the club is ran which is how Keegan and Hughton both fell foul to the powers that be. KK famously for not accepting having players brought in behind his back and Hughton for siding with the players over bonuses and other political disputes.

I'm sure Pardew would love more of a say when it comes to player recruitment and should there be this much talked about end of season review perhaps he will go into it laying some of or most of the blame for our season at the lack of investment in the summer and his minority role in player recruitment.

If he goes into the meeting demanding this or that player or this or that certain type of player, Ashley after investing so much in January may well tell him to do one. Or he may well listen and agree to sign some of the players Pardew would clearly like, namely someone like Andy Carroll if not Carroll himself.

If that is to be the case I'm all for it because I do feel we would do better and with it Pardew too, with a team that is better suited to how the manager wants us to play and the tactics he prefers, which our current squad with the exception of a few, simply aren't suited to.

Being sensible (I know...) for a moment, as much as I'd like to see him peddled and regard him as one of if not the worst manager in the league, we cannot afford to simply get in just anyone because they are not Pardew. His replacement must be someone who can get the very best out of the squad and develop a brand of football that sits easy with everyone concerned, most importantly the fans.

I'm resigned to him being here at the start of the new season though :(

This is the one point that will bury him in the long run. There is a distinct conflict of interest between the type of player we are scouting/employing and the type of player that suits Pardews desire to play the game.

Ashley has a blueprint of players he wants to buy, these players are not suited to the game Pardew plays (jumpers) and this (let the straw clutching begin) could be the boiling point in their relationship.

Not only that (which is painfully obvious with the scouting/deployment of Vurnon Anita). There's also a quite obvious discrepancy in what we need and what we buy at times.

Just look at his comments about Remy/Sissoko with regards to what was done in January. He complains about the lack of goals because we didn't sign Remy. What we needed was goals after Ba left.

At any other club, the obvious way to go would after missing out on Remy, would be to try for another striker rather than going for Sissoko instead, mainly because he was a "good deal" at the time.

He's aiming indirect critisism at the way the club does business - cause we will never go for a play that we need over one that represents a good financial deal.

As much as I hate Pardew, he has a point on this one, the blueprint has its flaws and this being point and case, it took them too long to replace Carroll and it has taken them too long to replace Ba. We had no choice in losing Ba, but we had a choice to replace him, the blueprint prevented us from doing that as there was no 'bargain' strikers on our radar. Packing the midfield and burying our head in the sand hoping that Cisse can carry the team injury free was criminal.

The 'blueprint' as you put it does have its flaws but we really did try to replace Ba (Remy) in January but failed and although we should be more flexible we should always try to stick to our principles as much as possible. Anyway, as much as he hasn't been played there nor looks like one, at least in Goufran we did buy someone capable of scoring goals and playing as a striker.

A friend I mine has just said that the coaches at the acadamy were talking about Steve Mclaren replacing Pardew, just thought I'd share this.

Te person that told me has got a nephew who plays for a club not to far away from us so hopefully he will get somemore intel from him.

Guest Howaythetoon

McLaren is the opposite to Pardew, good coach, poor manager.

He might work though and certainly fits the bill, cheap, British, unemployed and is used to working under a system where he has little control over transfers.

Guest Howaythetoon

Didn't we buy Gouffran when we missed out on Remy?

Aye, which showed a bit of flexibility in our process, although it appears he was earmarked for the summer anyway regardless.

Didn't we buy Gouffran when we missed out on Remy?

Gouffran was planned for the summer on a free, aka a depth option.

We moved to him after it came clear that our Ba replacement options Remy and Aubameyang were not viable.

Basically someone to get us over the line and he did that i suspect if Pardew stays and gets his way Gouffran will not be first choice next year.

Guest Howaythetoon

Would be shitting it if McLaren was the replacement, although I respect him for going abroad.

Why, he's a decent coach with a decent record. He wouldn't be top of my own list mind...

you are very much in strong favour of Pardew getting another season just as much as others want him sacked.

any specific reason why you share these views. im curious.  injuries and last season 5th finish?

Pardew is a prick.  I've never liked him.  It was a sad day for me when he was appointed.

We replaced one average manager with another average manager, but at least the last one was likeable. 

People are getting very worked up over ousting the bloke...so we can get another middle of the road jouneyman in to peddle mediocrity.

What's the point in that?

Do you not have a little spark of hope that the next one might be good?

Would be shitting it if McLaren was the replacement, although I respect him for going abroad.

Holy fuck i'd forgotton about him.

While i can't see Pardew leaving, if it was to happen McLaren would be a realistic target. Unlike Rafa.

I am far more pro Pardew than most on here, but to not even try to get Benitez would be to reach amazing levels of stupidity. Benitez wants to stay in england, he isn't going to be at Chelsea next season, or Man U, City, Arsenal or Spurs. If we decided to replace Pardew we would essentially only be competing against Everton and teams from countries the guy doesn't want to manage in. Even if we had just had a relatively decent season, the prospect of getting a manger with a CV like Benitez's should be enough to prompt a change in manager. After the season we have just endured it's a no brainer.

it is true beni wants to stay in england, it showed after he left lfc that he waited a year and a half until chelsea came up,  but us trying for him would be a waste of time, he can wait another 18 months for a top job in england but he certainly wont wait on nufc even if the job becomes available tomorrow, spurs perhaps one day? 

Would be crazy for us to not even try though, surely questions have to be asked by MA and co, he can only say no and he would have the tools to make us a solid team.

I'd change the avatar, I keep thinking James is posting and therefore ignoring it entirely.

Why, he's a decent coach with a decent record. He wouldn't be top of my own list mind...

Hard to say exactly why, just think we need someone 100% pro and his comedy persona might come back to bite us. High pressure environment etc.

Guest icemanblue

I'd change the avatar, I keep thinking James is posting and therefore ignoring it entirely.

You've been lucky, so far.

Shteeve McLaren wouldn't be a huge disappointment, has proven ability at club level, he was just an embarrassment when in charge of Ingurland. Would rather we were more ambitious than that but I'm not adverse to the notion.

As to the 'blueprint' (as I can't think of a suitable name for it) I agree that if we are to implement it then we need to do so with continuity. Yes it has its flaws and yes Goof was sort if the final option in replacing Ba, albeit in the short term, he was never gonna be a 15-20 goal a season striker and had Cisse been seriously injured at any point we would be screwed.

However any show of willingness to break the mould and we no longer hold the power in negotiations and that's the line that has worked so well for us under Ashley.

Shteeve McLaren wouldn't be a huge disappointment

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1223629/stone-cold-laughing.gif

:lol: I think Pardew has sapped me of all hope an expectation!

Guest Slippery Sam

Fair point.

But... last season he was decent. The football was decent too. I know this season has been awful but none of us know which way next season would go under Pardew. We can't know.

Since we can't know what kind of football we'll have until we're playing it, the only stuff that matters are the external factors like stability and relationships in the club.

The football was decent at times last season but he ditched what worked for us as soon as he could.  The football was also s*** at times last season.

More than s*** at times. It's pretty clear a lot of people get blinded by results, and fair enough I guess, but still hate when some say we played very good football last season. It's not true, we finished 5th but we were nowhere near convincing for a big part of that season.

Last season's dvd was described by one poster on here as "basically a Goals of the Season dvd".  Now, I haven't seen the dvd, and I missed a lot of the games, but if it actually is a goals of the season dvd it could  be argued that it explains why we finished so high up and, therefore, that the fifth place finish was indeed a fluke.  Any stats anyone??