Alan Pardew

Mike

Nearly getting relegated isn't stability, even if you do it by sticking with a failing manager.

Don't think he'll last the season to be honest, this just means we'll sack him with no replacement

Guest neesy111

Nothing about aiming to do anything in the cups, providing better football than the shite all season long.  Club's only ambition is to break even or post a profit to pay back Ashley.

Actually, if you're at least semi literate there was.

No, there's not.  Just about aiming for the top 10 was the only objective from a playing perspective.

Go look up 'at least'.  Then find someone who can type and get them to look up 'at least'.

Top 10 doesn't mean 10th, it's the same thing as at least 10th.  Clown.

Well done, you understand the basic premise of what we're saying.  Now look up 'at least'.

Yes, so it still means they'll be happy with anything from 10th upwards since it's the target.

No, it means 10th is the minimum they will accept.  Hence 'at least'.  here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/at+least

Forget it.

Last time I checked, and by no means do I have a street wise education, but Top 10 did include positions such as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and a few others I forget about.

What's wrong with this?

Or should we be finishing Top 3?

I understand DL says "at the least", is probably trying to dampen expectations and may secretly have higher ambitions himself, but it's just the thought of it being a case for celebration.

It's also the fact we could have still finished 10th on the last day of this season if results had gone the right way. By no means would that have made it a successful season.

I'm sure "top 8" was the previous benchmark as well, but could be wrong :laugh:

As for this season's table it was madness, so many clubs were in the Relegation 'Dog Fight' until the 2nd/3rd last week of the season. It was packed accept for the 2 top teams and the small chasing pack underneath. Premier League is average and the teams are similar (probably a discussion for another thread).

I'm just trying to understand the vitriol towards everything at the moment, as it really is everything.

No Statement - Rage.

Statement - Rage.

Could it be that they've (somewhat) sensibly reassessed targets for next season based on this one, and suggested that next season Top 10 is the least they'll accept going forward (and then they'll change when things improve)?

Where do you guys honestly see us as a club?

Don't really appreciate being lumped in with the hystericals like, I was just saying that the impression of a top-ten finish being a cause for success was a disappointing one to be giving out.

I don't expect him to come out with Keegan-esque statements of going for Man Utd's title and I appreciate he has to finely balance the message he gives to supporters with the warning he gives to the manager (including the term "at least" shows that there's some pressure on Pardew).

I totally agree that the PL is incredibly average, save for the teams that finished top 7 this season and I'd personally expect us to be filling that 8th slot at the very least.

Along with this I'll be hoping that one or two of that group underperform like they did when we finished 5th and we'll sneak a bit higher up again, while maybe doing something in one of the cups for once. A trip to Wembley would be nice, even if just for a semi-final.

Too much to ask?

Wasn't aimed at you personally, Rich. You're smart lad with fabulous hair (however I fear that the mob has lowered your morality and resolve!). Just an open question formulated from your reply.

:thup:

I expect at "least" to challenge the top 6. Wasn't Pards on about top four pre season? I don't think that its unrealistic for a club of our size, income, fan base, to aim for this.

"a club of our size, income, fan base" means absolutely nothing if we didn't invest $ into players. Look at Liverpool, look at Spurs, look at their squad, look at their spending.

Fucking two bob Everton are still in with a shout of the Champions League places with two games to go, as we were last season, and people on here would be happy with fucking 10th?!

European qualification is the absolute minimum we should demand from NUFC and always has been as far as I'm concerned. Fuck competing with West Brom, Swansea and Fulham, bollocks to that. Their crowds and income can't touch ours so why on Earth should anyone be comfortable with matching them?

I expect at "least" to challenge the top 6. Wasn't Pards on about top four pre season? I don't think that its unrealistic for a club of our size, income, fan base, to aim for this.

That's more like it.  I've been watching us for too long to expect anything really but do you see how, when talking in the context of crisis talks and the manager's job being on the line, Dekka can't come out and say that?

Not least the media shite that'll follow it but what if we have a decentish season and finish 7th?  Sack him?

10th is a good starting baseline for us.  It won't be a good season but it also won't be the clusterfuck we've just witnessed.  That's our minimum expectation.

Disclaimer:  If the football is still shite get rid.  I want Pardew sacked but if you're attacking the board then your ire is being misdirected.

Top 10 is a fine target.. Assuming that we actually try in the cups, which we won't.. If we are going to concentrate only on the league like we always do and then aim to be average, then I don't get it.. Is the target of "the top 10" enough to keep this group of players around and attract new ones? No. The players are a lot like us really, get them to think that their is a chance of winning something or getting into Europe and they might stick around. Hell we were awful this season and only just a few points away from "the top 10"... Playing s*** football with the chance to be as good as West Brom isn't going to excite anyone or keep this squad together.

Guest neesy111

They all have far better managers than what we have.

Whose fault is that?

We all know who.  This club will not get back to where it should be under Ashley, zero fucking ambition.

What's the minimum you would be happy with in terms of league position next season?

After this season, I'd be happy with 10th and a good cup run tbh, but I'd want to be fucking entertained and feel confident that we were going in the right direction.

Won't happen with this twat in charge.

So you'd be happy with the minimum the board have set forth as a target in terms of league position.  We can't know about the football until the season starts and for what it's worth I don't believe we'll be playing decent stuff. It'll likely be hoofball again but that won't have anything to do with the board.

Nor do I, mate, sadly. I'm just saying mid-table mediocrity is far more preferable than a relegation battle. Would dearly love us to challenge for Europe again, but lets face it, the decision MA and DL have taken over Pardew is indicative of the level of expectations/ambition for this club. I can't hope for more than top ten tbh.

Let's be honest. The REAL position people here expects are 5TH. Probably Wullie is the only one who will admit this though.

Mmost people were hoping for/expecting around 7th this season, with the general range being 6th-9th. That seemed realistic in August.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,92839.0.html

When I realized we could only got Anita (and on a ridiculous fee of 8m) I already knew we are in deep trouble.  I didn't expect a relegation fight though.

To me 5th is only possible IF we signed all those January imports back in last summer. 

All the 3 cunts fucked this up massively. I would even place more blame on Ashley and Llambias. Anita the only signing last summer was absolutely fucking ridiculous.

They all have far better managers than what we have.

And have owners with vision/ambition.

Is not all about the quality of the squad or manager, sadly, as this shit storm ably demonstrates.

Guest bimpy474

Cool, no cup runs then because Pardew doesn't like the Europa.

Ah well i shall enjoy us aiming for at least 10th. Wonderfully optimistic me like.

We've got a manager in charge who absolutely hates the Europa League and doesn't want us anywhere near it. So why aim for the European places? Why win a cup as well if it just cripples us the season afterwards? The man is embarrassingly bad and we're stuck with him for years to come if the thread title is anything to go by. I just hope we're still in the Premier League with a decent squad when him and Ashley finally fuck off.

Guest Slippery Sam

What's the minimum you would be happy with in terms of league position next season?

Top 7. Minimum 7th.  That would mean, imo, we were taking on other teams and trying to beat them, rather than attempting to stop them from scoring, which appears Pardew's main objective.

It's just fucking bizarre how attitudes have shifted.  I've kept a consistent position on the twat and yet I find myself on the other side.  It's like one of those things where someone says 'if you want to suck off this large diseased polar bear, step forward' and everyone else takes one step back.

Top 7. Minimum 7th.  That would mean, imo, we were taking on other teams and trying to beat them, rather than attempting to stop them from scoring, which appears Pardew's main objective.

7th? Dunno like, that could mean dreaded Europa League football and a relegation battle in 14/15.

Guest bimpy474

It's just fucking bizarre how attitudes have shifted.  I've kept a consistent position on the twat and yet I find myself on the other side.  It's like one of those things where someone says 'if you want to suck off this large diseased polar bear, step forward' and everyone else takes one step back.

If your position is fuck the twat off. Then i'm on the other side with you ;)

That is the exact analogy I would have used.