Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest Howaythetoon

If Spurs and Arsenal spend well, they could be in with a shout. It will be far closer than for many a year I feel. Moyes could surprise everyone and retain the title for Man Utd, but I think Arsenal and Spurs can do far better if they buy well.

"It's all well and good saying that the set play problem is down to tactics, delivery, whatever. Ultimately you need (players of) six-foot four (inches) to go and head it in, or at least make first contact.

"We haven't had that all year and it means all our wins have been one-goal wins, apart from Wigan and Southampton."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130529/pardew-wants-dominant-defensive-threat_2281670_3194452

Bit more season review context.

"It's all well and good saying that the set play problem is down to tactics, delivery, whatever. Ultimately you need (players of) six-foot four (inches) to go and head it in, or at least make first contact.

"We haven't had that all year and it means all our wins have been one-goal wins, apart from Wigan and Southampton."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130529/pardew-wants-dominant-defensive-threat_2281670_3194452

Clueless wanker. So he expects the remainder of our goals to be from set plays :lol:

Such cringe worthy comments  :lol:

The only reason I'm not so mad about it, is because I would actually like a dominant defender with some real presence, as we could do with one of those in general.

Not just for set pieces though!

Reading it back, that part's actually worse than the 6'4" thing.  Has he been relying on big fellas at set pieces for us to win by more than one goal?  We are Stoke man, just with a more charismatic Pulis.

I'm just hoping that we start well and get a few wins so he doesn't have to talk so much bollocks.

What's the point, seriously? What is the point? It's clear from what he says that he doesn't know anything about football.

If he does well next year, it'll be more than likely down to luck and we'll end up back here soon enough. That's not me being biased against him - that's me reading what he says. He doesn't have a clue and we won't be any tactically better off than last year if he thinks that 6ft 4 players are the answer to our problems.

:( this is exactly how I thought it would go.

Was hoping at the very least he would shut up with his tail between his legs and just accept he messed up last season.

What's actually happening is he seems to be taking the fact he's been backed to carry on as some sort of justification he is right.

That rumour from one of the "sources" about how the backroom staff felt we needed bigger players and more "jumpers" :lol: was laughed at when it was rumoured but here it is from the man himself.

Said it before and I'll say it again. He's the perfect successor to Tony Pulis for Stoke. In fact even Stoke have removed Pulis and will probably move away from the style of play he established there and will probably end up selling their 6ft 4" players to us. N'Zonzi or Shawcross anyone? Can easily see it happening.

:( this is exactly how I thought it would go.

Was hoping at the very least he would shut up with his tail between his legs and just accept he messed up last season.

What's actually happening is he seems to be taking the fact he's been backed to carry on as some sort of justification he is right.

That rumour from one of the "sources" about how the backroom staff felt we needed bigger players and more "jumpers" :lol: was laughed at when it was rumoured but here it is from the man himself.

Said it before and I'll say it again. He's the perfect successor to Tony Pulis for Stoke. In fact even Stoke have removed Pulis and will probably move away from the style of play he established there and will probably end up selling their 6ft 4" players to us. N'Zonzi or Shawcross anyone? Can easily see it happening.

I wouldn't conclude that. Firstly, he's probably spouting bollocks without much thought at all. Secondly, he's met with Ashley and probably been told in no uncertain terms that he's on his last life. Nothing that's happened would make him think he was right, IMO.

Guest icemanblue

Perhaps it's a poor choice of words there, JH, but it's still a bit silly.

What's silly? Sorry, just didn't understand what you were referring to...

That he 'doesn't know anything about football', obviously.

Yes, his mentality is shit and his belief in how to win games is pish. But, I'd guess he does know a little bit about football in order to have maintained a career as a player, coach and manager.

We should be looking to Sociedad's season for a bit of hope for next year. Montanier was criticised in 11/12 for being too defensively minded, his team have played absolutely fantastic stuff over the last 9 months and still have a slim chance of making the Campions League. Hopefully Pardew will come back refreshed and with the mentality that we saw at the back end of last year.

We should be looking to Sociedad's season for a bit of hope for next year. Montanier was criticised in 11/12 for being too defensively minded, his team have played absolutely fantastic stuff over the last 9 months and still have a slim chance of making the Campions League. Hopefully Pardew will come back refreshed and with the mentality that we saw at the back end of last year.

Here's hoping. :booze:

:lol: Do other managers ever spout this kind of bullshit? Was talking to some fans of other clubs past couple of weeks and they were rolling around laughing at some of the shit I was telling them he says.

:lol: Do other managers ever spout this kind of bullshit? Was talking to some fans of other clubs past couple of weeks and they were rolling around laughing at some of the shit I was telling them he says.

I think if you analysed other managers' quotes to the extent we do with Pardew, without the audio/video and the context/question, you could generate nearly as many ridiculous quotes. Maybe not the same amount, but not far off. Especially if you only concentrated on managers under pressure or where things were going badly on the pitch.

:lol: Do other managers ever spout this kind of bullshit? Was talking to some fans of other clubs past couple of weeks and they were rolling around laughing at some of the s*** I was telling them he says.

I think if you analysed other managers' quotes to the extent we do with Pardew, without the audio/video and the context/question, you could generate nearly as many ridiculous quotes. Maybe not the same amount, but not far off. Especially if you only concentrated on managers under pressure or where things were going badly on the pitch.

Any examples?