Alan Pardew

Mike

I think this idea that Pardew wants to play crap football (like Pulis) is a bit of a slur to be honest. Fair enough you're not happy with what happened this season but there have certainly been times when we've played good stuff under Pardew. Indeed in the past he's made comments about us wanting to play a more technical passing game and only this week was saying he wants us to play with attacking full backs. Also having tall players isn't necessarily contradictory to playing good football - Bayern's CB pairing last weekend was Dante (6ft 2in) and Boateng (6ft 4in).

I agree but I was too scared to post this myself! His style is safety-first and conservative a lot of the time, but I don't think he's a long ball manager or much like Pulis at all.

He actually said he wanted us to be on the front foot and get it forward early. Now, never mind long or not it means, and you can tell by watching, is that he likes to get it to the forwards at the first opportunity and you can tell (just by watching the last 70 odd games or so) that the forwards rarely have midfield support. Hence, when the ball goes forward quickly we don't hang on to it very well. Worked better with Ba, a lot worse without him but we persisted with it anyway and we'll persist with it next season. It can work if you have the players for it, which we don't, but maybe we'll replace 2 or 3 of a forward players for ones who can.

I think this idea that Pardew wants to play crap football (like Pulis) is a bit of a slur to be honest. Fair enough you're not happy with what happened this season but there have certainly been times when we've played good stuff under Pardew. Indeed in the past he's made comments about us wanting to play a more technical passing game and only this week was saying he wants us to play with attacking full backs. Also having tall players isn't necessarily contradictory to playing good football - Bayern's CB pairing last weekend was Dante (6ft 2in) and Boateng (6ft 4in).

I agree but I was too scared to post this myself! His style is safety-first and conservative a lot of the time, but I don't think he's a long ball manager or much like Pulis at all.

he doesn't have a style man :lol:  bolded is all he know and favours, football firmly comes second, and as we're seeing if you don't coach good players into playing football as a team they rapidly become a nervous pile of shit and resort to treating the ball like a hot potato

Disagree with this (to an extent). Where I'll agree with you is that when our backs have been up against the wall this season (in terms of league position) he has certainly played conservatively, particularly away from home. I don't think that necessarily means that's how he wants us to play - I reckon that's largely him panicking about our league position and deciding he needs to get something rather than nothing.

I think he does want to be more attack minded but he does need to improve his style. The Swansea and Sunderland home games come to mind as games where having gone behind we've actually thrown considerable numbers forward and been cut apart on the counter attack.

Guest bimpy474

As reality sets in, i'm dreading next seasons football but i'm also intrigued to see just what Pardew does. I guess the buys will tell a lot.

The 6ft 4in utter rubbish is a big indicator. Evra scored a few headers from corners, Shearer and Ferdinand as we've seen in our past were just about 6ft. It's about delivery and movement, and i noticed Pardew dismissed those as only part of the problem when they are the main reason you score. With as a clueless a logic as that, this season coming doesn't bode well.

As reality sets in, i'm dreading next seasons football but i'm also intrigued to see just what Pardew does. I guess the buys will tell a lot.

The 6ft 4in utter rubbish is a big indicator. Evra scored a few headers from corners, Shearer and Ferdinand as we've seen in our past were just about 6ft. It's about delivery and movement, and i noticed Pardew dismissed those as only part of the problem when they are the main reason you score. With as a clueless a logic as that, this season coming doesn't bode well.

My fears exactly.

Not sure how you think that, considering we finished top of the long ball % in the PL. Also just watch the games and you can see it for yourself

I do watch the games, cheers.

he doesn't have a style man :lol:  bolded is all he know and favours, football firmly comes second, and as we're seeing if you don't coach good players into playing football as a team they rapidly become a nervous pile of shit and resort to treating the ball like a hot potato

Disagree with this (to an extent). Where I'll agree with you is that when our backs have been up against the wall this season (in terms of league position) he has certainly played conservatively, particularly away from home.

He's played conservatively every week man, since he took the job.

Guest icemanblue

[template post] That approach worked quite well when we finished fifth, like. [/template post]

I'm not intrigued at all, Pardew's bluffed his way through two years here, he managed to bullshit his way through an end of year meeting where he should have got sacked. Now he'll get a further two months of excuses and blarney next season before the penny finally drops and Mike finally pulls the plug.

I'm not intrigued at all, Pardew's bluffed his way through two years here, he managed to bullshit his way through an end of year meeting where he should have got sacked. Now he'll get a further two months of excuses and blarney next season before the penny finally drops and Mike finally pulls the plug.

Well that brightened my day.

I've been looking back over this season and the common trend where we stopped playing football in the second half of matches. A lot was joked about saying such things like "What the hell does Pardew say to them at half time" etc.

I think it all comes back to how utterly unfit and prepared the team appeared going into the season. It looks to me in a lot of games we start the first half ok. Passing, running into channels and closing down well all over the pitch. But then later in the game we resort to just getting rid of it (hoof) not closing down as much and rather just backing off and dropping deeper and deeper to save chasing all over the pitch.

I believe a lot of these problems could be solved with a bit of good old fashioned fitness work in pre-season.

Everton started the season on fire and it looked to me like Moyes had got his team fitter than ever and they were just bulldozing teams. Whereas it always looked to me like we were playing catch up as we had under prepared for the season.

Either way it's still Pardew's responsibility to put it right.

^what that man said.

only intrigue i have is what other new found excuses can he come up with next season, to add to his bullshit dossier.  That is going to be fascinating.

Guest bimpy474

I was meaning the way Dave put it really, i'll be happy for a new season to come around so i can forget this one. Although i'm curious to see how Pardew approaches things. Part of me wants him to do well, because that means the team is doing well. That said, i hate the fucking clueless fuckwit.

I was meaning the way Dave put it really, i'll be happy for a new season to come around so i can forget this one. Although i'm curious to see how Pardew approaches things. Part of me wants him to do well, because that means the team is doing well. That said, i hate the fucking clueless fuckwit.

That's just it though, I don't hate him at all, he's a decent fella, but I don't have any faith in him at all to take us where we deserve to be. So we'll be better next season when we get a couple of 6ft 4 players in the team and will score more set pieces. I think we'll muddle along towards mid-table at best and we'll lose some of our technical players, maybe even this summer. I think we might be heading back towards a team like the one Hughton was in charge of if Pardew hangs around long enough.

Guest bimpy474

That's just it though, I don't hate him at all, he's a decent fella, but I don't have any faith in him at all to take us where we deserve to be. So we'll be better next season when we get a couple of 6ft 4 players in the team and will score more set pieces. I think we'll muddle along towards mid-table at best and we'll lose some of our technical players, maybe even this summer. I think we might be heading back towards a team like the one Hughton was in charge of if Pardew hangs around long enough.

And the one Hughton had, played decent football and was good at set pieces. Thing that gets me, Pardew's waffle about big players blah blah blah crap. Our delivery is cack, our movement is cack, we try nothing different. Why by buying a defender who can head it, not sure why he thinks thing will change when Pardew has shown he is completely and utterly clueless.

Ok a big lad will now try to win a floated ball, i'm sure the oppo will just let him win it. Were so easy to defend against it's embarrassing, i can't see that changing because we have a Harlem Globetrotter up for a corner. Pardew's thinking is so flawed it's unbelievable he can't see it himself.

I was meaning the way Dave put it really, i'll be happy for a new season to come around so i can forget this one. Although i'm curious to see how Pardew approaches things. Part of me wants him to do well, because that means the team is doing well. That said, i hate the f***ing clueless fuckwit.

decent fella?  i obviously dont know him personally but to me he still comes across as a complete sleaze ball.

My point is, I don't have anything against Pardew on a personal level, I just think this club deserves a quality manager rather than a sales rep/PR guy with an outdated concept of the game.