Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Flip makes an interesting point as well, the great thing about Drogba is how great he was with his back to goal. Had a fantastic ability to back into defenders which in turn creates space for those around him.

Lukaku doesn't do that, he doesn't play up to his physical capabilities.

He scored 32 Premiership goals at ages 19 and 20, but didn't impress you? At 21, Drogba was failing to make an impact in Ligue 2. It is not surprising that he is struggling in this Everton side with the way they have been playing this season.

He's good player and has had games where he's looked impressive games. Just thought he as a player isn't as good as some were making it out at the time (including you I think). He's nowhere near the complete player, but he has no doubt the talent to improve and the age on the right side. Think it's the same with Lucas at PSG. Has a lot of talent, went for a big fee but just doesn't impress me because they lack footballing-intelligence. I'm not writing him off, just thought at the time the fee was too big for him as I'm don't think he'll blossom into one of the best strikers in the world.

Like I said I might be proven completely wrong in 2-3 years time, but as for now he's still just a talent in my opinion.

Cost less than Willian though, who is a great player.

He scored 32 Premiership goals at ages 19 and 20, but didn't impress you? At 21, Drogba was failing to make an impact in Ligue 2. It is not surprising that he is struggling in this Everton side with the way they have been playing this season.

He's good player and has had games where he's looked impressive games. Just thought he as a player isn't as good as some were making it out at the time (including you I think). He's nowhere near the complete player, but he has no doubt the talent to improve and the age on the right side. Think it's the same with Lucas at PSG. Has a lot of talent, went for a big fee but just doesn't impress me because they lack footballing-intelligence. I'm not writing him off, just thought at the time the fee was too big for him as I'm don't think he'll blossom into one of the best strikers in the world.

Like I said I might be proven completely wrong in 2-3 years time, but as for now he's still just a talent in my opinion.

Cost less than Willian though, who is a great player.

:lol: Never called him great did I? Willian does have ten fold the intelligence on the pitch that Lukaku has though.

Surely intelligence is that last part of your game to develop, though? Like most young forward talents, he is selfish and really only sees the pitch in terms of what he can do once he gets the ball. Doesn't understand the benefits of simply keeping defenders occupied, making runs to confuse/overload the defense and open up spaces. I understand this, firstly I believe he will learn as part of his footballing education and secondly I don't believe he is as underdeveloped as the two of you make out. The physicality and and finishing abilities are already exceptional. I was surprised Mourinho would not want to work with him, especially given the effect we have seen him have on someone like Hazard in only 20 months or so. I believe the problem is his attitude; his continual poor choices in the media support the theory. Do not forget he mentioned using Everton as a showcase for greater things when he joined.

Willian sacrifices for the team and is a consistent starter on a the likely champions as a result. The role he has probably is not what he envisioned, but he performs admirably.

Surely intelligence is that last part of your game to develop, though? Like most young forward talents, he is selfish and really only sees the pitch in terms of what he can do once he gets the ball. Doesn't understand the benefits of simply keeping defenders occupied, making runs to confuse/overload the defense and open up spaces. I understand this, firstly I believe he will learn as part of his footballing education and secondly I don't believe he is as underdeveloped as the two of you make out. The physicality and and finishing abilities are already exceptional. I was surprised Mourinho would not want to work with him, especially given the effect we have seen him have on someone like Hazard in only 20 months or so. I believe the problem is his attitude; his continual poor choices in the media support the theory. Do not forget he mentioned using Everton as a showcase for greater things when he joined.

Willian sacrifices for the team and is a consistent starter on a the likely champions as a result. The role he has probably is not what he envisioned, but he performs admirably.

That's actually fair enough Baba and you are right in a way, but like I said while age is on his side I didn't think the fee was right and I did understand why he left Chelsea as he wasn't a striker ready to play for a team like them. I'm not saying he can't be one of the best because he does have talent, but I just think there's a lot left before he is the type of player that many and maybe himself seem to think he is already :thup:

:lol: guy just runs loads, admittedly quite fast.

Much ignorance of pre-Chelsea Willian.

Even the last game where he didn't have to play that covering role he was a decent threat. Wasn't as good as I have seen him before, but was a much improved performance over the ones he's had this season.

Still has a lot to desire in the final third.

:lol: guy just runs loads, admittedly quite fast.

Much ignorance of pre-Chelsea Willian.

ooooh 23 goals in 7 years in Ukraine and Russia, I was wrong.

He's not a goal scorer though, it's like judging someone like Iniesta on goals. Willian plays further up the pitch, sure, but he also gives his team another dimension (or at least did). Now he just does what you are talking about for most part.

I look at a player like Ayoze and think that intelligence doesn't necessarily come with age or experience. His vision of the pitch and natural understanding for the game is something Lukaku lacks completely. Lukaku needs to be "developed" into the world class striker he can clearly become. The lad has immense talent and physical presence. Maybe his manager forgets that he's still so young and relies too much on him as a senior player.

For the really good players, yes, intelligence comes naturally. But for many others, including players like Ronaldo and Zidane, their intelligence and control didn't come until much later.

Even in other sports, guys like Federer didn't become intelligent, mature and in control until 24, 25. The young ones are the exception. Most guys peak physically around 24, but mentally they reach their peak 2-3 years later.