Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Can anyone do a Best XI of recently active managers? So for example you could have  players such as Seedorf, Guardiola, Laudrup, Blanc, van Basten in there because they've recently managed at clubs. Preferably an XI without Maradona as that makes it a bit boring

Current manager and half decent player in their time XI

Preud'homme (Brugge)

Karanka (Boro) - de Boer (Ajax) - Mihajlović (Samp)

Enrique (Barça) - Deschamps (France) - Simeone (Atleti) - Cocu (PSV)

Mancini (Inter)

Palermo (Arsenal de Sarandi) - Klinsmann (USA)

Bench of: Zola, Bruce, Strachan, Montella and Montanier

In mildly related news Doriva, the old Boro gadgy is Vasco da Gama manager these days.

Excellent effort :thup:

I would definitely have Blanc over at least Bruce on the bench, but that's pretty awesome.

Just an observation, but Seems like a generation of Dutch players are ALL getting into management and/or coaching of some kind (Cocu, De Boer bros, Bergkamp, Kluivert, RVN etc) But generally the same generation of say English players are not - they get into media.

They probably look at the likes of Paul Merson and think "If he can earn a living doing that, anyone can..."

We do have a few ex-pros serving as pundits, too, but not in the staggering amounts you do. We still have mostly professional "journalists" doing most stuff.

Not that the average Spanish football journo is going to win the Pullitzer anytime soon, mind. The best journalist that writes about Spanish football is a brit.

Punditry is a safe game for them. Guaranteed job pretty much once you've got your feet under the table, no pressure, no having to go down the leagues etc.

I guess the money Sky/BT/BBC etc offers ex pros hammers what other countries offer.

Less pressure, just as much (or more) pay, less work each week, etc. You see a lot of the more successful NFL coaches going into TV more too, can't blame them it's a much more sensible decision.

We do have a few ex-pros serving as pundits, too, but not in the staggering amounts you do. We still have mostly professional "journalists" doing most stuff.

Not that the average Spanish football journo is going to win the Pullitzer anytime soon, mind. The best journalist that writes about Spanish football is a brit.

Speaking of which, I'm reading Lowe's weekly La Liga article (great read if you're interested in our OMGWEMIGHTFINISHTHIRD-crisis), and found this great bit:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/12/lionel-messi-barcelona-unite-crisis-for-now

“The whore that gave birth to you,” he shouted. Which, dramatic and bizarre though it sounds is a pretty common and relatively harmless phrase in Spanish.

Sadly true :lol:

“The whore that gave birth to you,” he shouted. Which, dramatic and bizarre though it sounds is a pretty common and relatively harmless phrase in Spanish.

Sadly true :lol:

:lol:

Was trying to explain to my friends that it's really not that bad, and usually not really aimed at the person in that kind of way. I use it quite a lot whenever I rage :lol: But it's never really aimed to offend anyone.

A Liverpool fan friend of mine just told me that "Newcastle were one of the richest clubs in England the 90s", in the middle of a "money doesn't buy success" tirade. Is that true? I know you were actually one of the top clubs in England (money-wise) in the 2000s, but not too sure before that.

Guest firetotheworks

A Liverpool fan friend of mine just told me that "Newcastle were one of the richest clubs in England the 90s", in the middle of a "money doesn't buy success" tirade. Is that true? I know you were actually one of the top clubs in England (money-wise) in the 2000s, but not too sure before that.

I'd hazard a guess at that being right, yeah.

Weren't we one of the richest until the mid 2000s or something?

Guest Roger Kint

Depends if you class rich as in the daft way Deloitte do ie turnover or rich as in actually having money.

Guest firetotheworks

If my memory serves me right it would have been Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Us up until Chelsea came in.

Guest firetotheworks

According to Deloitte we were the 5th richest in the world in '97-98. We came back onto the list in the other CL years, too.

Depends if you class rich as in the daft way Deloitte do ie turnover or rich as in actually having money.

Ah right.

Can anyone do a Best XI of recently active managers? So for example you could have  players such as Seedorf, Guardiola, Laudrup, Blanc, van Basten in there because they've recently managed at clubs. Preferably an XI without Maradona as that makes it a bit boring

Current manager and half decent player in their time XI

Preud'homme (Brugge)

Karanka (Boro) - de Boer (Ajax) - Mihajlović (Samp)

Enrique (Barça) - Deschamps (France) - Simeone (Atleti) - Cocu (PSV)

Mancini (Inter)

Palermo (Arsenal de Sarandi) - Klinsmann (USA)

Bench of: Zola, Bruce, Strachan, Montella and Montanier

In mildly related news Doriva, the old Boro gadgy is Vasco da Gama manager these days.

Just an extra thought on this, you could technically have Zidane in there too