Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

"more than a football club" behind Allerdyce in the press conference, really West Ham? Really?

I want royalties :lol:

Barcelona should sue over that alright

still what the hell West Ham in what possible way are they "more than a football club" (its also one of the things that bug me about Barca but lets not get into that)

It's just what it meant for the Catalan population throughout the years (could go at length with examples), it wasn't coined - and certainly it doesn't mean - as a way to affirm superiority over other football clubs. It's something I'm quite proud as a fan tbf.

The phrase was coined in the late 60s, when we were utterly s***.

"more than a football club" behind Allerdyce in the press conference, really West Ham? Really?

still what the hell West Ham in what possible way are they "more than a football club" (its also one of the things that bug me about Barca but lets not get into that)

It's just what it meant for the Catalan population throughout the years (could go at length with examples), it wasn't coined - and certainly it doesn't mean - as a way to affirm superiority over other football clubs. It's something I'm quite proud as a fan tbf.

And very proud of it you should be :thup:

If there is to be any club worthy of being "mes que un club" then it's Barca.

VI is correct, it's nothing to do with superiority at all, it's around social history, Franco, Spanish civil upheaval and a view point on it and taking a stand.

The Barca story is a truly great one.

VI is correct, it's nothing to do with superiority at all, it's around social history, Franco, Spanish civil upheaval and a view point on it and taking a stand.

You'll make me blush.

Let's not carried away, however, it's not like we became a social protest force (we'd have been shut down the day after, for starters - although the club was indeed banned under another Junta in the 1920s). But little things, like people organizing clandestine gatherings during matches (you had to ask permission to organize any kind of gathering in a public place, but you could easily disguise that in the terraces of a stadium holding 100,000 people), the Barça anthem being a Catalan anthem in disguise (as affirmed by the original author), so people could sing it at the stadium at a time where the proper Catalan anthem was forbidden (and people were sent to jail for singing it in public). Heck, one of our presidents was shot during the war and the whole squad had to flee to Mexico.

It was mostly an example of an oppressed society using whatever outlet they could to (in a limited way) express themselves. There were many others at the time but none so massive as a football club.

You'll make me blush.

Let's not carried away, however, it's not like we became a social protest force (we'd have been shut down the day after, for starters - although the club was indeed banned under another Junta in the 1920s). But little things, like people organizing clandestine gatherings during matches (you had to ask permission to organize any kind of gathering in a public place, but you could easily disguise that in the terraces of a stadium holding 100,000 people), the Barça anthem being a Catalan anthem in disguise (as affirmed by the original author), so people could sing it at the stadium at a time where the proper Catalan anthem was forbidden (and people were sent to jail for singing it in public). Heck, one of our presidents was shot during the war and the whole squad had to flee to Mexico.

It was mostly an example of an oppressed society using whatever outlet they could to (in a limited way) express themselves.

Spent a day at Camp Nou a few years back, really really enjoyed it, was in the museum for three hours alone  :lol: wife wasn't best please but there you go.

God bless Joan Gamper :thup:

Are you from Barcalona VI? Or just supporting?

You'll make me blush.

It was mostly an example of an oppressed society using whatever outlet they could to (in a limited way) express themselves.

Spent a day at Camp Nou a few years back, really really enjoyed it, was in the museum for three hours alone  :lol: wife wasn't best please but there you go.

God bless Joan Gamper :thup:

Are you from Barcalona VI? Or just supporting?

Barcelona born and bred :snod:

The museum's an amazing place for a football lover, regardless of whom you support.