Best British manager of recent times. (SAF, Paisley, Clough...)

Parky

It is nigh on impossible to compare managers from different eras, because they are operating in what is practically different sports.

To be a successful manager these days you need entirely different skills. Clough, for example, would never get away today with talking to the way he did to his players. In fact, he didn't get away with it at Leeds. These days, every team is a Leeds in that sense.

The stat that for me always illustrates how much the game has changed is that when we won the league (as if the fact we won the league at all doesn't say enough) in 80-81 we used 14 players all season. These days you can use 14 different players in a single match.

Ferguson's record is incredible, but I do wonder how much he was assisted by the timing, in that shortly after he rocked up at Man United, the PL began, which funnelled more and more money into the game. There's no doubt that Man United have benefitted from the PL more than any other club.

I also think we pick managers according to our age and affiliations.

Personally, for example, I would pick Clough as the greatest of the lot, but I am aware that is shaped by my own personal memories of what he actually did with Forest at the time - a club that had never amounted to much becoming double European Cup winners just beggars belief.

That was an achievement that can never happen again, a club of that ilk will never win things like that again, and football is way, way poorer as a result. We'll never see a manager achieve what Clough did in his time, mainly because these days it is quite literally impossible to win championships without huge financial backing.

Pardew.

The dude led us to 5th while playing terrible football, if that's not an achievement then I don't know what is.

On a more serious note, it has to be SAF.

He's turned them into one of the biggest clubs in Football, 20 league titles ffs.

It is nigh on impossible to compare managers from different eras, because they are operating in what is practically different sports.

To be a successful manager these days you need entirely different skills. Clough, for example, would never get away today with talking to the way he did to his players. In fact, he didn't get away with it at Leeds. These days, every team is a Leeds in that sense.

The stat that for me always illustrates how much the game has changed is that when we won the league (as if the fact we won the league at all doesn't say enough) in 80-81 we used 14 players all season. These days you can use 14 different players in a single match.

Ferguson's record is incredible, but I do wonder how much he was assisted by the timing, in that shortly after he rocked up at Man United, the PL began, which funnelled more and more money into the game. There's no doubt that Man United have benefitted from the PL more than any other club.

Personally, for example, I would pick Clough as the greatest of the lot, but I am aware that is shaped by my own personal memories of what he actually did with Forest at the time - a club that had never amounted to much becoming double European Cup winners just beggars belief.

That was an achievement that can never happen again, a club of that ilk will never win things like that again, and football is way, way poorer as a result. We'll never see a manager achieve what Clough did in his time, mainly because these days it is quite literally impossible to win championships without huge financial backing.

Good read that. I personally would have Clough over SAF in any era.

Fantastic post  :clap:

SAF easily.

Had a lot of money the whole time.

Yes but I judge him on his ability to maintain a very distinct style of play even when completely dismantling old squads and replacing with new players. The complete opposite of the numbskull at our club who doesn't seem to know how to set his teams up from one day to the next.

Guest firetotheworks

Surely it would be Clough and Taylor though?

Yeah it should be Guardiola and that bloke who makes the tactics videos. ;)

I wasn't around in his pomp, it's just on what I've read in terms of his record without Taylor.

Manchester United were always big spenders, even before Taggart, Atkinson and Sexton spent heavily as did Ferguson . The reason they were able to is down to Sir Matt Busby and his teams success . He was the one that created the Manchester United brand.

Ferguson's incredible trophy haul and ability to keep his team at the top for so many years, must set him apart. And with Aberdeen, he proved he could do it at a club with modest resources.

But Cloughie will always have a unique place in the game. Promotion, the League Championship, and two European Cups in successive seasons with that Notts Forest side is just staggering. No-one has achieved anything like it before or since.

Bob Paisley. Took over the reigns from Shankly.

Following victory in the 1974 FA Cup Final, Bill Shankly suddenly announced his retirement. In the wake of the shock announcement, the directors of Liverpool turned to the unassuming Paisley as his replacement, in the hope of maintaining continuity.

Paisley would prove to be a huge success at Liverpool, winning at least one trophy in eight of his nine years as manager. Hugely disappointed by finishing second in his first season as manager, the team went on to win the title in 1976. This period marked the beginning of Liverpool's dominance of English and European football, as the team went on to become Champions on five occasions - finishing second twice - as well as winning three League Cups, one UEFA Cup, one UEFA Super Cup, six Charity Shields and, most significantly, three European Cups.

Liverpool's dominance of the era in English and European football was primarily challenged by Nottingham Forest under Brian Clough, and Aston Villa under Ron Saunders and Tony Barton. Paisley remains the only man in history to manage three European Cup-winning sides. He also won an unprecedented six Manager of the Year Awards. The only trophy that Paisley failed to win as manager was the FA Cup, although Liverpool would be runners-up in 1977.

Three European Cups in the days it was home and away knock out (iirc) and it included only the champions from each country.

Wenger has had similar, but with far less resources at his disposal.

So, nobody has had the same level of financial backing over the long term as SAF.

Spent an av of 35m a season net apart from the season they sold CR.

Where on earth have you dug that figure up from? :lol: It's absolute nonsense. If you took Ronaldo out of the equation, since the Premier League began we've a net spend of about £15million, maybe not even that. £35million. :lol:

Pardew..

For creating a side that can finish in the top 5 in one season and then doing the exact opposite and creating a side that finished in the bottom 5 in the space of 12 months..

Try as hard as he could but SAF would never ever be able to achieve that..

Wenger has had similar, but with far less resources at his disposal.

So, nobody has had the same level of financial backing over the long term as SAF.

Spent an av of 35m a season net apart from the season they sold CR.

Where on earth have you dug that figure up from? :lol: It's absolute nonsense. If you took Ronaldo out of the equation, since the Premier League began we've a net spend of about £15million, maybe not even that. £35million. :lol:

You spend about 35m a season. Apart from the season CR left. Plus you've got the 3rd biggest wage bill in WORLD FOOTBALL!!!  :frantic: :snod: