Pre-Season 2013/14

Fenham Mag

Guest neesy111

I'm just glad we're not fecking off to Timbuktu again. Unfamiliar climates, Visa issues. Pre-season tours that take place a million miles away never work out for us. I just want us to do it properly and not have us starting the season blatantly unfit, again. We looked out of shape at home to Spurs and, taking into account the gazillion injuries, were never A1 throughout the entirety of the season.

Was reading on .com the other day that Cabaye played 18minutes of pre-season last year. One of our most important players. :lol:

Dispute over an unpaid dental bill. Vintage NUFC.

Which was Cabaye's fault.  The club has many faults that one was purely down to the player himself.

Guest neesy111

I'm just glad we're not fecking off to Timbuktu again. Unfamiliar climates, Visa issues. Pre-season tours that take place a million miles away never work out for us. I just want us to do it properly and not have us starting the season blatantly unfit, again. We looked out of shape at home to Spurs and, taking into account the gazillion injuries, were never A1 throughout the entirety of the season.

The USA tour was the best one we've had in years in terms of fitness.

It was also the best for leaving behind one of our most important players whilst he had to bounce to and from Africa to sort out his Visa issues. :razz:

It also resulted in our best start for 14 years.

The USA tour was a farce from start to finish. s**** performances, a key injury and players not even allowed in the country.

But the commentary. The best commentary I've ever listened to.

The USA tour was the best one we've had in years in terms of fitness.

It was also the best for leaving behind one of our most important players whilst he had to bounce to and from Africa to sort out his Visa issues. :razz:

It also resulted in our best start for 14 years.

This.

A now traditional visit to non-league neighbours Gateshead is part of Newcastle United under-21s' pre-season friendly fixture list, announced on nufc.co.uk.

Willie Donachie and Peter Beardsley's side, who reached the final of the Citibank Hong Kong Football Club International Soccer Sevens last month, will warm up with two behind-closed-door games before playing two matches in England either side of a pair of games north of the border.

They include a trip to Scottish League Cup holders St. Mirren, which will see a number of first-team squad players join the under-21s in Paisley. Paul Dummett and Conor Newton both had successful loan spells with the Buddies last term.

First up this summer is a practice match at the Magpies' training ground against Hamilton Academicals on Tuesday, 16th July and another behind-closed-doors clash against Southampton on Saturday, 20th July. No members of the public will be admitted to these games.

However, spectators will be welcomed by Blue Square Bet North outfit Workington when Newcastle head to Borough Park on Wednesday, 24th July.

Then on Saturday, 27th July, United will take on Kilmarnock in Ayrshire, although the kick-off time has yet to be confirmed, before the meeting with St. Mirren at St. Mirren Park three days later.

Finally, the Magpies will cross the River Tyne to take on Anth Smith's Gateshead at the International Stadium on Saturday, 3rd August. The Heed have announced that admission prices will be £10 for adults, £5 concessions and £2 for under-16s.

The full list of under-21 pre-season friendlies is:

Tuesday, 16th July - Hamilton Academicals home (behind closed doors)

Saturday, 20th July - Southampton home (behind closed doors)

Wednesday, 24th July - Workington away (kick-off 7.30pm)

Saturday, 27th July - Kilmarnock away (kick-off TBC)

Tuesday, 30th July - St. Mirren away (kick-off 7.30pm)

Saturday, 3rd August - Gateshead away (kick-off 3pm)

Guest Roger Kint

Blackpool away is apparently Sunday 28th July

A day after Kilmarnock and 2 before St Mirren?

That'd be strange.

Hope not as it would be a right bastard for me, was hoping to go to at least one game but i would be away for all three of those :lol:

Blackpool away is apparently Sunday 28th July

A day after Kilmarnock and 2 before St Mirren?

That'd be strange.

Those two are reserve friendlies.

aaahhh I did not get that.

Makes sense :thup:

"We thought the Hartlepool game worked well last year," the manager told nufc.co.uk. "It was a chance for us to ease people like Hatem, who had been involved in the European Championships, back into the fold and it was probably one of our best performances of pre-season.

"Sylvain Marveaux got a couple of goals and Shola Ameobi, Haris Vuckic and Gabriel Obertan all scored. By the time the St. Mirren game comes around I'll be starting to formulate my team for the first league match of the season and I see this friendly as an opportunity for some players to try and force their way into my thinking.

"So there'll be a nice mixture for that one, similar to Hartlepool last year, because it's a Scottish Premier League team we're facing and we're expecting a good game there."

Was reading on .com the other day that Cabaye played 18minutes of pre-season last year. One of our most important players. :lol:

Dispute over an unpaid dental bill. Vintage NUFC.

Which was Cabaye's fault.  The club has many faults that one was purely down to the player himself.

Was using the Club as a collective term.