RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

If JFK hadn't had his heart attack I think we would've stayed up, similarly if Shearer had been given 12 games I think we would've stayed up.......

We were chaotic rubbish under both, but JK started the rot.

I was at SJP for the Liverpool game, as bad as we've been in my lifetime.

Foudn this gem from 2011.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/03/17/joe-kinnear-feels-he-deserves-more-credit-61634-28350929/?

“I wanted to sell him (N’Zogbia) because I didn’t get on with him, I didn’t think he was a fighter,” said Kinnear.

“I got £8m for him and it was me who brought in Kevin Nolan for £4m. He was Newcastle’s player of the year last year but do I get any credit for signing him? No, because I’m a cockney.

“The trouble was, I had to generate my own money. When the £8m was offered by Brucey I knew I had to get Nolan, then I got Løvenkrands. He was a free. With his experience I thought he would be great to come off the bench for us.”

“The only conversation I had with him (Bruce) was over N’Zogbia,” Kinnear insisted. “He said he phoned me on the Monday. I never had a conversation with any manager about Andy Carroll.

“Andy Carroll was a kid I’d given his debut to. Him and Shola Ameobi were going to be my strikers.

“Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias had no intentions of selling him at any stage.

“When Chrissy Hughton put him in the team Andy was able to step down a level and did fantastically well. Whether he is trying to talk himself up or not, I don’t know. But to say he only offered £2.5m, it makes him look stupid.

“For me to let Andy go to Wigan, he would have had to sell his entire team, and then you would have had to pay Andy a fortune just to go to Wigan.

“I think Andy had bigger options in his head even then.”

If JFK hadn't had his heart attack I think we would've stayed up, similarly if Shearer had been given 12 games I think we would've stayed up.......

I was too, Liverpool could have had about 15.  Can remember Given leathering the ball away in pure frustration as he was the only player preventing more goals.

I was too, Liverpool could have had about 15.  Can remember Given leathering the ball away in pure frustration as he was the only player preventing more goals.

He was probably man of the match and conceded five.

Was shit, like the 6:0 last season.

I agree that we'd have probably stayed up had the heart attack not happened.  Kinnears useless, but it didn't take a good manager to keep us up, just a bit of consistency.

We only had one decent performance and we won away at portsmouth i think, the rest under jfk we were crap.

WBA and Villa at home were decent mind.

WBA at home was shambles. Can't believe we won. Some stupid penalty after Shola tumbled in the box. The Villa game was decent, Barton and Martins had good games.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/03/17/joe-kinnear-feels-he-deserves-more-credit-61634-28350929/?

“do I get any credit for signing him? No, because I’m a cockney.

Can't stand this fucking shit.

:lol: It's laughable that the papers get away with implying it, never mind someone that used to manage the club.  It's total and utter bollocks of course.

We hate Cockneys - Rob Lee, Les Ferdinand, Warren Barton etc are all despised.

I saw a quote from him in the Chronicle the other day it read, "I will sort out Newcastle's problems".

I thought thats easy, fuck off.

I can see why we want a DOF and accept it, what I can't get is him having the job.

Though I want Pardew gone as manager I can see why the club have kept him.

The only problem here is you JFK, the only solution is to go.

“do I get any credit for signing him? No, because I’m a cockney.

Can't stand this fucking shit.

:lol: It's laughable that the papers get away with implying it, never mind someone that used to manage the club.  It's total and utter bollocks of course.

We hate Cockneys - Rob Lee, Les Ferdinand, Warren Barton etc are all despised.

I also like his reasoning that he deserved more credit as he bought the players that did well in the championship...

Yep, he bought higher-championship players whilst in a relegation battle...not Premiership players...

absolute joke. If only we had Geordie Keegan sign another Geordie Ferdinand or Geordie Albert...

He is mad enough to turn up to the meeting tonight.

I honestly think he is at risk of an attack if he is seen in public.

Heart or violent? Or maybe both. I think he is deluded and egotistical enough to try and justify himself - and probably slag everyone else off in the process.

He is mad enough to turn up to the meeting tonight.

I honestly think he is at risk of an attack if he is seen in public.

Heart or violent? Or maybe both. I think he is deluded and egotistical enough to try and justify himself - and probably slag everyone else off in the process.

Both really.

Guest Bert Shaft

Keep it up with the funny and insane comments Joe.

The "cuckoo's nest" is surely beckoning ever closer.

Currently free on The Times

Joe Kinnear is redefining the director of football role

Alyson Rudd

June 24 2013 14:06PM

The title “director of football” is not, by and large, one that commands huge respect in Britain. It is viewed with a certain mistrust. If they are not standard issue at every club, why do certain club owners feel the need to appoint one? Does having one mean that the owner is too involved, too mistrustful of the manager?

It can, therefore, often be a pretty thankless task. Damien Comolli, for example, is remembered as the man who spent too much on Andy Carroll, while Kenny Dalglish’s legacy in his most recent stint as Liverpool manager is subject to more light and shade.

He took the club to two cup finals, even if the results in the league were disappointing. His dealings with the media were misguided, even if his heart was in the right place. Meanwhile, Comolli, well, he paid too much for Carroll.

The director of football sounds all-powerful, but he is not quite the manager, not quite a top executive. His presence will be resented, if not by the manager then by someone; the chief scout or the managing director or the fans.

Sometimes he can be a saviour. The appointment of Steve Coppell as director of football at Crawley Town was not widely regarded with distaste. It was a way, perhaps, of attracting a man of calibre when the job offer of manager would not have cut it for him.

So, what’s in it for the DoF, beyond a juicy salary? It is not true that most DoFs are really after the manager’s job. That appeared the strategy of Avram Grant, first at Chelsea, then at Portsmouth, but more typical is someone such as John Rudge, who acted as DoF for five managers at Stoke City and was not regarded as a threat to any.

So, I did wonder if it was possible to blog about DoFs and not mention Joe Kinnear. It was a test I set myself and I failed. Happily failed. What his appointment at Newcastle United has highlighted is that DoFs are the dark pools of satanic literature. You peer in and see what you fear to see.

It would help if Newcastle or Kinnear could intelligently explain why a DoF is needed and what he will do, but the suspicion is that the mirth, confusion, panic and depression prompted by the unexpected return of Kinnear, who produced a 22 per cent win ratio when manager at St James’ Park from 2008 to 2009, might be the point of it all. Is it all a big laugh for Mike Ashley, the club’s owner – a case of I can, so I will?

There is sympathy for Alan Pardew, the manager, but it would have been worse if a former beloved manager with status had been recruited.

At least Pardew does not have to compete with Kinnear for fan loyalty. If this marks the beginning of end of his Newcastle career, it will enable him to leave with relative dignity.

The interviews, the hilarious interviews – saying “Kebab” rather than “Cabaye” on talkSPORT is just one – prevented a cold analysis of Kinnear’s new job.

He has wrecked the post before finding a drawer for his new stapler. It does not matter what a DoF at Newcastle could or should do. Ashley has found a job for a bloke he likes and perhaps trusts, and the only available title was DoF.

Kinnear realised pretty quickly a DoF is supposed to have a decent CV, a sheen of superiority, and that is why he talked up his achievements.

Had he said nothing, he could have become like other DoFs; a shadowy figure seen deep in conversation at restaurants with the owner, blamed for poor buys, ignored when new players perform well.

It would be stretching things to suggest that he could have been someone Pardew would turn to for advice, but like Chauncey Gardiner in Being There, saying very little is often misinterpreted as a sign of deep thinking.

Just imagine if Kinnear had opted to maintain a solid silence and eventually emerge as at the grand old wise man of the game. It can’t happen now, though.

Still, that Manager of the Year award from the Mirror should provide ample compensation.