RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

Guest Phil K

Apparently, it was his own decision to leave the training to Dowie ....

Bringing Dowie in was a mystery then and even more so in retrospect.

Not nearly as bad as Joe K, but a similarily baffling appointment too

This thing about Shearer being no good in management. Well maybe he wasn't/still isn't, the same goes for Pardew, but i'm pretty sure they had/have the best interests of nufc in their jobs even if it's not enough. We've people running this club who couldn't care less about the good name of Newcastle Utd. It's all about their self interest.

JFK is a PR disaster whenever he opens his mouth, and he's supposed to be in charge of transfers? Can he really expect to talk any half decent player into coming here with so little tact? He's a national clown.

For any reasons Pardew stands his grounds on his job, it won't and will never be for NUFC.

I don't actually believe Kinnear reads forums to be honest, think it's another porkie.  Doubt he knows how to turn a computer on.

He invented forums. Of course he reads them.

Slagging of Shearer's managerial credentials.. Someone with no experience expected to turn around the most dysfunctional outfit in the league.

It was absolutely ridiculous expecting shearer to get us out of that mess.

Don't forget that bizarre quote from Ashley post relegation about the Shearer appointment being his best decision.. Depressing..

:thup: It's Shearer. People love to have a dig. He's getting the blame for an 8 game spell and the other chaotic 30 were of no impact whatsoever apparently.

I don't actually believe Kinnear reads forums to be honest, think it's another porkie.  Doubt he knows how to turn a computer on.

Honestly doubt that if he'd been technically capable enough he'd manage to leave his ego aside to not end up a member desperately trying to defend Kinnear. :lol:

Honestly doubt that if he'd been technically capable enough he'd manage to leave his ego aside to not end up a member desperately trying to defend Kinnear. :lol:

Aye he'd sign up and be going wild. He can't stop himself ringing radio and tv stations, he'd be in the house of the banned breaking all sorts of records within 10 minutes, max.

I've got the Times today and there's a whacking big picture of JFK looking in rude health. Looks as well as he's done for ages. FFS.

He states it's his last interview and that, from now on, AP will do them.

Can you upload a pic dude?

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/multimedia/archive/00352/D23KIN_352329a.jpg

:naughty:

"Fuck you all! I created Dave!"

I was just surprised Shearer couldn't get more out of the players, there wasn't the lift the team gets when a new manager usually comes in. Sunderland would have went down if Di Canio hadn't turned it round in just as few games with probably a worse squad than Shearer had to work with. The players didn't respond to Shearer it's as simple as that, Hughton got far more out of them a few months later. Shearer might be a legend as a footballer, that doesn't mean he's necessarily going to be a good manager.

How can you compare results in the Premiership to results in the 2nd division?  I’m sure that we were 18th in the league when Shearer was appointed and 18th after his last game.

Exactly, and don't forget that it even took KK 8 games to sort us out after Allardyce had been fired.

Keegan returned in January with half a season left - Shearer only had a couple of months and the damage was well and truly done by then.

Not saying Shearer is going to be a top manager, but the period he had with us was not a fair guide of his abilities in that direction.

Nobody is blemish-free, but for Kinnear to call Shearer a c--- is plainly pot and kettle if not worse.

I was just surprised Shearer couldn't get more out of the players, there wasn't the lift the team gets when a new manager usually comes in. Sunderland would have went down if Di Canio hadn't turned it round in just as few games with probably a worse squad than Shearer had to work with. The players didn't respond to Shearer it's as simple as that, Hughton got far more out of them a few months later. Shearer might be a legend as a footballer, that doesn't mean he's necessarily going to be a good manager.

How can you compare results in the Premiership to results in the 2nd division?  I’m sure that we were 18th in the league when Shearer was appointed and 18th after his last game.

Exactly, and don't forget that it even took KK 8 games to sort us out after Allardyce had been fired.

Keegan returned in January with half a season left - Shearer only had a couple of months and the damage was well and truly done by then.

Not saying Shearer is going to be a top manager, but the period he had with us was not a fair guide of his abilities in that direction.

Nobody is blemish-free, but for Kinnear to call Shearer a c--- is plainly pot and kettle if not worse.

Well, I agree, it absolutely can't be a definitive judgement on Shearer's managerial ability. It is the only time we have to judge but its certainly not fair to assume that's all he had to offer. However, there is a difference between Keegan taking 8 games after Allardyce when there were plenty of games left to play for and no real perceived danger of relegation then Shearer when we absolutely desperately needed something. He was the absolute obvious choice to dig us out by galvanizing the players, staff and fans. The latter clearly happened, unfortunately the gamble and the former never happened.

- Maybe it was the hype and expectation, as mentioned both Hughton/Di Canio relatively unpopular decisions amongst fans/media worked for the good of the club, siege mentality and proving people wrong is a strong motivator (that we can bloody pray to god is true about the current state of our management).

- Maybe it was Shearers abilities, the players should have respected him, there would surely be no lack of passion and reality about the situation they were in, yet players didn't play for Shearer or the shirt, if anything things went down hill despite probably the best backing of fans in recent times..(12th man my ass).

- Quite possible and especially fashionable, it was the disgusting state of the club, the downward spiral was created long before the Kinnear appointment, two many managers and disruption with a sprinkling of overpaid mercenaries with talents and passion that had been long surpassed by an easy job with great pay.

We can't know for sure. Certainly its a blotch on Shearers coaching career but I don't think anyone in their right mind should hold that fully against him. His consequent career path and lack of interest in getting back on the horse and proving doubters wrong however could certainly be more telling.

*for what is worth, Kinnear is entitled to call Shearer what he wants, I know a few people have eluded to the fact Shearer didn't even name Kinnear but it is blatant what he is talking about. I just wish it could be explained to Joe what taking the high ground means and how important it could be in trying to mend the structurally sound bridges he ripped down in his self indulged egotistical rants. I don't doubt we will hear from himself that "the club is bigger than any one person" I doubt however he can actually understand the meaning especially relate the fact that he is not excused from that statement.

if anything things went down hill despite probably the best backing of fans in recent times..(12th man my ass).

It's barely relevant but i vividly remember the 0-0 draw at home to Portsmouth. The atmosphere / support at that game was the best for years, tuotally un-premierleague-like. I was convinced that night we were down, because if our players couldn't raise their game that night there was no hope.

That's a fair point if NUFC is just a match to you.

it isn't to me. its part of my region, the pride I have in it, the city I love and  the people who mean so much to me.

Its not about the match or the 11 players. Rarely has been for me. I've seen mostly dross over the years on the field, the PL years under KK and SBR being part of the exception.

Didn't matter. I loved going, home and away. Being crap was never the issue, still isn't to some extent.

The wilful destruction of the club, its name being dragged through the mud, the area and region being vilified, that I cant stomach.

As you say though just stay away. I have been and will continue to do so.

Wish more had the same opinion obviously.

The thing that does most harm, to the region and the area, in the eye's of others are the pathetic fake funeral's, Willy Wonga's, Boycoutts, Geordie nation bollocks type stuff which frankly shows the region up way worse. We're getting way too scouse.

The Ashley destroying the club/region to those outside the region perception (and a goodly proportion within it) is a figment of your imagination.

I work all over the country and when talking football, most "neutrals" think Ashley's a nutter and are equally incredulous, as we are, about some of the things he does, folks actually sympathise with NUFC supporters but the over the top demonstrations of wailing and gnashing of teeth does us no favours.

That said, to most, it's all about the match day, club politics gets no more than passing interest.

Guest jonlane86

If JFK hadn't had his heart attack I think we would've stayed up, similarly if Shearer had been given 12 games I think we would've stayed up.......

"Fuck you all! I created Dave!"

Perfect trolling opportunity for someone to create a new account and just go on a Kinnear defending rampage tbh. :lol:

What kind of ride did he get from our home fans when he was here? I really don't remember as I worked most games at the time.

Just wonder where the thought from him he is liked around here comes from.