RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

Pardew is a poor, poor manager at this level, but unfortunately as the last few days has shown, he's probably the best we're going to get under Ashley. Seems like all the papers are running with Pardew not being happy and wanting Kinnear to shut the fuck up. Can't be a coincidence.

Steven Taylor can fuck off though. It's usually a race between him and Beardsley to get their nose lodged into Ashley's fat stinkin ring piece first.

Pardew is a poor, poor manager at this level, but unfortunately as the last few days has shown, he's probably the best we're going to get under Ashley. Seems like all the papers are running with Pardew not being happy and wanting Kinnear to shut the f*** up. Can't be a coincidence.

Steven Taylor can f*** off though. It's usually a race between him and Beardsley to get their nose lodged into Ashley's fat stinkin ring piece first.

Pardew will be gutted that Kinnear is geting all of the air time and he's getting nowt.

Going off those reports it's not that much for Pardew to ask really - just shut the fuck up and say as much as every other director of football in this country. Highly doubtful JFK will be able to manage that though.

And here's the big problem. JFK is such a mouthpiece, the hacks will hound him for quotes all day long, the first whiff of blood, even back-to-back defeats and they'll all over him like a rash.

Is he likely to take the high ground?

Answers on a postcard please

Alan Pardew 'relaxed' over the arrival of Joe Kinnear

by Mark Douglas, The JournalJun 18 2013Comments (32)

ALAN Pardew is planning for the future as Newcastle United manager ahead of a meeting with the Magpies' new direct of football Joe Kinnear this week.

Pardew again avoided making any public statements yesterday despite repeated attempts to contact him, adding to an air of uncertainty around St James’ Park, but he was understood to be in contact with senior figures at the club to discuss United business.

There has been mounting speculation about his own position at the club and what Kinnear’s appointment means, but Pardew has given no indication of any unhappiness.

Kinnear even went as far as to claim Pardew is “delighted” by the new arrival.

Although the lack of public statement adds an air of intrigue to the picture, he was said to be relatively “relaxed” about the Kinnear appointment.

However, when he does speak again he will emphasise the fact he continues to control the day-to-day running of team affairs – something the new director of football will be reminded of, too.

Kinnear’s first interviews in his new

role have seen him claim wide-ranging influence over everything from transfers to the team’s playing style, but The Journal understands his position will be slightly more prosaic.

Having not been active at a Premier League football club since 2009 he will not take on any scouting duties, which will continue to be conducted by Graham Carr.

There will be no interference with the first team either, which continues to be Pardew’s domain.

Lee Charnley, the club’s secretary, continues to oversee contracts and other day-to-day business.

Instead, Kinnear will sit in on and contribute to meetings on team and transfer affairs and be the man designated with the task of approaching Ashley on behalf of the club’s football staff.

Kinnear hinted at this when he said Derek Llambias’ role would be changed to concentrate on “the finances” of the business.

Kinnear was chosen because Ashley wanted to add “experience” and “football knowledge” to his management team.

Ashley has never made any secret about his admiration for Kinnear, who he firmly believes would have kept Newcastle in the Premier League but for his illness.

The new director of football is slated to meet Pardew towards the end of the week, although confirmation of the announcement was delayed yesterday.

Llambias and Charnley are both away, which may have added to the tardiness. A statement is expected to be forthcoming today.

Kinnear has been less conservative, continuing to speak on-the-record about his new role.

As well as offering assurances Newcastle will not sell Yohan Cabaye, he has publicly reassured Pardew he will not step on his toes.

He said: “Before I had a meeting with Mike, Derek said he had informed Alan and Alan said: ‘Great news – I’m delighted with that. At last I have somebody who’s a football guy.

“Derek told me he’s had a long talk with Alan and explained I’m coming in as director of football. He (Llambias) is going to go on the finance side and anything to do with football is coming my side.

“I am delighted to be working with Alan. We are very open-minded and good with each other.

"I have the utmost respect for him and I cannot see any problems between the two of us.

“I am not the type of guy who causes problems for the sake of it. I want the best for all of us.”

United made another French signing on Sunday, securing the signature of 17-year-old Metz striker OIivier Kemen. The France under-19 international tweeted a picture of himself on the pitch alongside Peter Beardsley.

Read more: Journal Live http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/06/18/alan-pardew-relaxed-over-the-arrival-of-joe-kinnear-61634-33488459/#ixzz2WcDYqtM7

Alan Pardew plays waiting game following confirmation of Joe Kinnear as Newcastle's director of football

Alan Pardew wants reassurances that Joe Kinnear will not heap further embarrassment upon Newcastle United as the club’s manager considers whether he can work with their controversial new director of football.

By Luke Edwards11:00PM BST 18 Jun 20132 Comments

Newcastle belatedly confirmed Kinnear’s appointment on Tuesday, stating clearly that the 66-year-old would have overall control of the football side of the club’s business, making him Pardew’s boss.

The club’s official statement, which tellingly did not carry any endorsement or comment from Pardew, came less than 24 hours after a radio interview in which a belligerent Kinnear accused Newcastle fans opposed to his appointment of talking “tosh”, mispronounced the names of several of the club’s players, and bragged of the strength of his relationships with Arsène Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson.

Pardew is understood to be keeping his options open over whether it will be possible for him to work with Kinnear.

The pair have spoken on the telephone, but they have still not had a proper meeting about how the new structure will work, and Pardew will seek certain conditions from Kinnear before he commits to the new set-up at St James’ Park.

Along with staying out of team selection and tactics, one of Pardew’s demands will be for Kinnear to stop courting publicity in the media.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10128821/Alan-Pardew-plays-waiting-game-following-confirmation-of-Joe-Kinnear-as-Newcastles-director-of-football.html

Guest tollemache

Yep, it's framed in a relatively acceptable way in that article. You do wonder about his ability even to be a communicative water carrier between manager and board though, given the total lack of control he seems to have over words, language, semantics etc... Perhaps like most illiterate or dumb people, you usually get the hang of what they mean in the end, even if they have no idea how to say it, but why give yourself that problem

Guest tollemache

And also: why let him out in public? That is just a weird thing to do when you know what he's like. And also also: it really should be a very simple and uninteresting process to define what a director of football does and where the manager's responsibilities begin and end. Just look at almost every other half-decent club in the world.

Well you have won the prize for the most weird pre season story so far! Unfortunately, it looks like a story that will run and run.

There is nothing new in this - NUFC have mostly made the headlines for the wrong reasons and this is a stand-out example of it. Still, we continue to win the prize for being the club that provides the most amusement for other clubs' fans - just as well, because that's the ONLY prize we will win..

The post that was quoted was rough around the edges, but the content was correct. Ashley knows people will turn up regardless, which is why he pleases himself. A bigger message would be if people started staying away from games, but unfortunately I think there is too much apathy inside St James. In that people will be unhappy, but won't vent their displeasure - probably for fear of what happened at the Hull game, after Keegan walked. Civil war almost broke out amongst our ranks after that game.

Could always be that Ashley has worn people down and that the more vocal (in the main) are the ones who don't go to games, such as myself.

I think you'll find, BG, that the fans over 45 will be the ones most likely to boycott - a large proportion have witnessed both bad and good times before SJH and KK took over the club and then afterwards.

A large percentage of younger fans will not remember those days and in any case, Ashley has been very successful in brainwashing quite a few fans into thinking a mid-table place is where we should be - no better.

It has always been this way really, because fans who went in the 50s when we were FA Cup kings stopped going after the shenanigans with Eastham etc at the start of the 60s and the usual board interference at that time.

Noticeable that many of those posting in the Chron and Journal, vowing to scrap their STs, were older fans.