RIP Joe Kinnear (1946–2024)

Anderson

Still can't get my head around it. It's not like a managerial appointment that has to be made. I bet MA thought that he couldn't fuck us with another shit managerial appointment as we already have Pards so he just added JFK in to a new role just to see us suffer. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Dennis Wise replace Graham Carr as chief scout soon.

Clueless Mike Ashley highlighted his lack of football knowledge by claiming Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear is better than Fabio Capello.

The Newcastle chairman brought Kinnear back from the football wilderness three months ago after Kevin Keegan walked away from the club and Terry Venables turned down Ashley's approach.

The appointment threatened to make even more of a mockery of struggling Newcastle, but now Ashley insists his man is better than the England boss.

Speaking to The Sun, Ashley said: 'Joe’s the man to do the job. He’s my hero. Is he better than Capello? Definitely. We are going to be in Europe by the end of the season.

I think Ashley genuinely rates Kinnear for some unfathomable reason and he wants to show that he knows better than anyone.

Already the new campaign is well placed to end in disaster and it's two months before a ball is kicked. Question is as to why this has been done, other than Ashley appointing another of his friend's and once again, doing it to spite the fans and show them who is boss?

It's madness, it's football, it's Newcastle United - as someone once said. :(

I guess if I were mega rich I'd do whatever the fuck I'd like, too. But, I'd like to think that even then it wouldn't be totally embarrassing for a huge population that holds something very dear. Total dick move by Ashley.

it really is 2008 all over again :( We're back to being the biggest laughing stock in the premiership. That interview FFS!

"Urrrrgh I spoke to david lamb....dave lamb....urgh Mike. My role will be dealing with financ....urm transfers."

Guest bimpy474

As much as i think this is a mad decision, i'm glad it's been done now and not during the season.

At least there are two months to sort things out, into something that looks like a structure.

@lee_ryder

Spoke to #nufc 's new director of football earlier. Full coverage in tomorrow's @EveningChron

That interview is going to be even worse than the SSN one.

:ANGUISH:

Guest bimpy474

‏@steveharper37

Nothing surprises me at all about @NUFCOfficial latest announcement today after spending 20yrs there.I actually liked JK as a bloke #2013!!!

Read this a few hours ago and I still can't get past a sharp exhale of breath and a knowing shrug as a response. It doesn't make sense on any level as far as I can see apart from to JFK. Utterly and truly leftfield & seemgly senseless as fuck.

@lee_ryder

Spoke to #nufc 's new director of football earlier. Full coverage in tomorrow's @EveningChron

What a fucking conversation that must have been  :jesuswept: Bet they just spent the time laughing their cocks off at how they both managed to land their respective jobs.

@lee_ryder

What a fucking conversation that must have been  :jesuswept: Bet they just spent the time laughing their cocks off at how they both managed to land their respective jobs.

:lol:

and

:(

Only we could do this in the big money year with the t.v deal. The time was right to make a change and shore things up and give someone sensible a chunk of change to build on a reasonable team.

Sentence in an article in the Independent today:

The decision to bring Kinnear back has Ashley’s fingerprints all over it as he has always privately maintained that the former Republic of Ireland international is the best manager he has worked with in his six years at St James’ Park, despite Kinnear winning only four of his 20 games between September 2008 and February 2009.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10123496/Joe-Kinnear-set-to-make-shock-return-to-Newcastle-United-as-director-of-football-in-management-shake-up.html

He just really rates Kinnear, it's as straightforward as that imo. I really think it's likely he'll replace Pardew at some point this season.