Sunderland

Nobody

What kind of manager is he tactically? How did his last team perform?

Beat us didn't they.

Look at the team we had out.

What was more telling was that they looked far slicker and better organised, and we looked like a bunch of individuals thrown together to work things out themselves. Sound familiar?

As mentioned, we also lost to Graham Westley's Stevenage. That doesn't mean I think he is a good manager.

What makes you think anyone's a good manager?

Pardew beat Hiddink, Hiddink is a class manager.

Pardew is a better than class manager  :celb1:

Pardew also won manager of the season which is based on more than 2 games.

Come to think of it, why are we all angry at Pardew? He's class!

Poyet brought a League One team into the Championship and made them instantly competitive while playing decent stuff, it's not surprising he's thought of well. He never gave them the final push though, and Sunderland are shit, so I can't expect much. January will be big for them.

What separates Poyet from every other decent Championship manager? Serious question.

Just seems like being an ex fairly high profile footballer who is still young gives them a bump up the ladder. Poyet beat us twice in the cup but Graham Westley managed it once at a club two divisions below.

When we played Brighton I was impressed they could string more than 2 passes together but that was more to do with the fact we couldn't than them playing any real quality football.

Is he any better than the likes of Mick McCarthy, Nigel Pearson, Paul Ince, Brian McDermott etc.. or is he just more fashionable?

Yep.

Funny how if you get a team out of the Championship then go back down, your name becomes mud whilst someone like Poyet who has languished in Championship mid-table for a few years now (one play off semi, hmm great) has had a growing reputation. If he hadn't played for Chelsea and Spurs, nobody would be in the slightest bit interested in him.

Compare to Nigel Clough who's  in keeping Derby dully mid table consistently over a few years while bringing through some kids at the same time as rather large reduction in whats available for him to spend I'd say is better than Poyets ones at Brighton because of the difference in budget but if any premier league side let alone Sunderland (from our POV) appointed Clough they'd be a laughing stock.

Yup.

He had a decent budget at Brighton did Gus.

Clough on the other hand did more or less the same job but with no budget and he tried to bleed in new players at a struggling club

As mentioned, we also lost to Graham Westley's Stevenage. That doesn't mean I think he is a good manager.

What makes you think anyone's a good manager?

Pardew beat Hiddink, Hiddink is a class manager.

Pardew is a better than class manager  :celb1:

Pardew also won manager of the season which is based on more than 2 games.

Come to think of it, why are we all angry at Pardew? He's class!

All hail Ashley and his recruiting wisdom then  :indi:

What separates Poyet from every other decent Championship manager? Serious question.

Just seems like being an ex fairly high profile footballer who is still young gives them a bump up the ladder. Poyet beat us twice in the cup but Graham Westley managed it once at a club two divisions below.

When we played Brighton I was impressed they could string more than 2 passes together but that was more to do with the fact we couldn't than them playing any real quality football.

Is he any better than the likes of Mick McCarthy, Nigel Pearson, Paul Ince, Brian McDermott etc.. or is he just more fashionable?

Yep.

Funny how if you get a team out of the Championship then go back down, your name becomes mud whilst someone like Poyet who has languished in Championship mid-table for a few years now (one play off semi, hmm great) has had a growing reputation. If he hadn't played for Chelsea and Spurs, nobody would be in the slightest bit interested in him.

Compare to Nigel Clough who's  in keeping Derby dully mid table consistently over a few years while bringing through some kids at the same time as rather large reduction in whats available for him to spend I'd say is better than Poyets ones at Brighton because of the difference in budget but if any premier league side let alone Sunderland (from our POV) appointed Clough they'd be a laughing stock.

Yup.

He had a decent budget at Brighton did Gus.

Clough on the other hand did more or less the same job but with no budget and he tried to bleed in new players at a struggling club

Post it in the "Who would you go for" thread. It's making me physically sick to have to discuss managers in a Sunderland thread following recent developments.

Poyet brought a League One team into the Championship and made them instantly competitive while playing decent stuff, it's not surprising he's thought of well. He never gave them the final push though, and Sunderland are shit, so I can't expect much. January will be big for them.

Paul Lambert and Nigel Adkins both went from League One to the Premier League in the space of one season. It's really not that much of an achievement to come into the Championship and "be competitive", the margins below the Premier League are much greater.

Think of the managers who have actually gotten teams out of the Championship during the same time period: Warnock, Holloway, McDermott, Adkins, Bruce. In the few years preceding that it's been Brown, Dowie, McCarthy, Boothroyd.  These are the blokes who have outdone him and he's been in that division a few years now, enough time for a proper crack at promotion and not got near it. Maybe he'll prove a good Premier League manager but his reputation is built on absolutely fuck all.

Guest neesy111

He was given a blank cheque book for his 12 months there.  This season they were threatened with sanctions with the new FFP rules for the Championship.

Think he's quite good but time will tell, the PL is a whole new ballgame. I suspect tactically he's probably better than Pardew and can get sides to play football but as a man manager and the million other things you need to make it in the PL the jury will be out for quite some time....It's annoying cause they'll stay up under him. His biggest hurdle will be the very average squad...

Where did the idea that if a manager beats anther manager then he must be better come from? :lol:

Nowhere but what else can his performance be judged on other than comparisons against those in the same competition?

Paul Lambert and Nigel Adkins both went from League One to the Premier League in the space of one season. It's really not that much of an achievement to come into the Championship and "be competitive", the margins below the Premier League are much greater.

Think of the managers who have actually gotten teams out of the Championship during the same time period: Warnock, Holloway, McDermott, Adkins, Bruce. In the few years preceding that it's been Brown, Dowie, McCarthy, Boothroyd.  These are the blokes who have outdone him and he's been in that division a few years now, enough time for a proper crack at promotion and not got near it. Maybe he'll prove a good Premier League manager but his reputation is built on absolutely fuck all.

It's about the football which suits a higher level at the end of the day. That's all I based my opinion. Not whether he's a foreigner, or ugly, or shits on the floor in dressing rooms. I'm sure all these things might be factors to consider somewhere down the line, but stats have never made much impression on me. I thought his team looked far more organised than Pardew's on the two occasions we played them. That suggests to me he is better than Pardew. That fucking pisses me off. That's really all there is to it.

In my mind there is no question he is tactically better than Pardew.

I'm not convinced he's a PDC style cunt either though. That seems to be what we are basing our criticisms on. But the Brighton forums seem to view him quite positively, and in the two games against us, his teams seemed far more motivated than ours did under Pardew.

In my mind there is no question he is tactically better than Pardew.

I'm not convinced he's a PDC style cunt either though. That seems to be what we are basing our criticisms on. But the Brighton forums seem to view him quite positively, and in the two games against us, his teams seemed far more motivated than ours did under Pardew.

Think he's far more dangerous than PDC...Generally his past players seem to have really liked him...If he gets time and can get 2/3 players in Jan then they'll be ok.