Sunderland

Nobody

What separates Poyet from every other decent Championship manager? Serious question.

Just seems like being an ex fairly high profile footballer who is still young gives them a bump up the ladder. Poyet beat us twice in the cup but Graham Westley managed it once at a club two divisions below.

When we played Brighton I was impressed they could string more than 2 passes together but that was more to do with the fact we couldn't than them playing any real quality football.

Is he any better than the likes of Mick McCarthy, Nigel Pearson, Paul Ince, Brian McDermott etc.. or is he just more fashionable?

pretty much my thinking on it.

Gabbiadini's just said on Total Sport that sunderland are a bigger club than Napoli.

:spit:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, to be fair it was the Mackem that rang in and said 'So you dont think Sunderland are bigger than Napoli then Marco?', he was instantly shot down. He then said, 'well why not billy Davies?'

Benitez to Billly Davies in one sentence, magical.

What separates Poyet from every other decent Championship manager? Serious question.

Just seems like being an ex fairly high profile footballer who is still young gives them a bump up the ladder. Poyet beat us twice in the cup but Graham Westley managed it once at a club two divisions below.

When we played Brighton I was impressed they could string more than 2 passes together but that was more to do with the fact we couldn't than them playing any real quality football.

Is he any better than the likes of Mick McCarthy, Nigel Pearson, Paul Ince, Brian McDermott etc.. or is he just more fashionable?

Yep.

Funny how if you get a team out of the Championship then go back down, your name becomes mud whilst someone like Poyet who has languished in Championship mid-table for a few years now (one play off semi, hmm great) has had a growing reputation. If he hadn't played for Chelsea and Spurs, nobody would be in the slightest bit interested in him.

Guest Slippery Sam

BWFAZcGIcAAU2UQ.jpg

:lol: must of sold out of those Paolo ones. Obviously haven't learned any lessons. They deserve all they get man. A Love Supreme is a right f***ing cringe

'Until Victory, Always'. Seems apt at the moment.

Our team the second time we played Brighton was downright fucking rank tbh, factor in we played the last half hour with 10 men.

21 Elliot

03 Santon

06 Williamson

14 Perch (Dummett - 46' )

34 Tavernier

08 Anita

20 Bigirimana

25 Obertan (Marveaux - 71' )

39 Abeid Booked (Ranger - 46' )

23 Sh Ameobi Dismissed after an earlier booking

28 Sa Ameobi

Yep.

Funny how if you get a team out of the Championship then go back down, your name becomes mud whilst someone like Poyet who has languished in Championship mid-table for a few years now (one play off semi, hmm great) has had a growing reputation. If he hadn't played for Chelsea and Spurs, nobody would be in the slightest bit interested in him.

Funnily enough your post earlier sums up the 'fashionable' bit I mentioned -

It's much harder now that Paolo is gone. Holloway is a near certainty because of his cluelessness, Hughton because fans have lost patience last season and McKay because Asian owners aren't a patient bunch. Jol is also a  decent shout but too bad we can only choose 3.

Very harsh on Holloway. Once again he's got a team out of the Championship that had absolutely no right to do so, not to mention having to lose his best player by far. Absolute disgrace if they sack him after he's made them financially secure for years to come.

A manager who has done well at a number of clubs, getting a couple promoted when it probably should have been beyond them and at times punching well about their weight but, Ian Holloway? Who did he play for again?  :laugh:

Yep.

Compare to Nigel Clough who's  in keeping Derby dully mid table consistently over a few years while bringing through some kids at the same time as rather large reduction in whats available for him to spend I'd say is better than Poyets ones at Brighton because of the difference in budget but if any premier league side let alone Sunderland (from our POV) appointed Clough they'd be a laughing stock.

You can only go on the football you've seen, and his team did the right things from what I saw. Closed us down well as a team, kept their shape well, showed plenty of movement when they had the ball and passed it around well. Those are all qualities we are short of. You are right though, we don't need a foreign manager to do that or a fashionable one, an English coach who can do the same things would do nicely.

Guest icemanblue

Aye. Foreign, though. Exotic.

Their chairman hasn't got a clue, Gus will be no match for our homegrown think tank of Pardew and Kinnear.

Guest icemanblue

Their chairman hasn't got a clue, Gus will be no match for our homegrown think tank of Pardew and Kinnear.

Really, though? Absolutely everything has to come back to this?

BWFAZcGIcAAU2UQ.jpg

:lol: must of sold out of those Paolo ones. Obviously haven't learned any lessons. They deserve all they get man. A Love Supreme is a right f***ing cringe

Far too fit to be a Mackem!

'Until Victory, Always'. Seems apt at the moment.

Not sure if he can keep them up. Think he'd get them straight back up playing stuff a few levels above what we are used to under Pardew. But that could be two years away.

Right now it's a gamble, there were better suited candidates for survive at all costs, they haven't gone down this route and its a good sensible decision as long as they stick by him if he doesn't keep them up or has a big shit on the floor.

Really, though? Absolutely everything has to come back to this?

What else would it come down to when we are discussing managers? At least when I give a rationale about a manager's qualities or drawbacks it's not based on his being foreign or exotic.

What kind of manager is he tactically? How did his last team perform?

Beat us didn't they.

Wiped the floor with us aye. or was that his arse ? cant remember now.

, whats this shitting thing about anyway?