Sunderland

Nobody

It's not even a great escape. They had games in hand to save themselves, and won them. They didn't come from behind with the same amount of matches left. If they won, they'd stay up. That's not a great escape. Fulham a few years ago was a great escape.

I'd say looking to be down then getting 7 points from Man City, Chelsea and Man U away is pretty great.

Not in great escape context, because if they did they'd stay up. If they did that and still weren't guaranteed staying up, it'd be pretty great.

After securing promotion to Division One in the summer of 1990, Dave Bassett’s Sheffield United were not given much of a chance of staying up and after a dreadful start to the campaign that belief seemed justified. Their first win came seventeen games in during December but by March they’d clawed themselves out of the drop zone. In the second half of the season they claimed 36 points from 19 games, including winning seven in a row to finish 13th. Had their first half of the season been better they may have secured European football at Bramall Lane.

:thup:

Not that bad but 1991-2, their record after 15 games was P 15, W 2, D 3, L 10....they finished 9th out of 22. :lol:

(record after a New Year defeat at Anfield was P 20, W 13, D 3, L 4. 2 of those losses were their last 2 games). Pretty epic season.

After securing promotion to Division One in the summer of 1990, Dave Bassett’s Sheffield United were not given much of a chance of staying up and after a dreadful start to the campaign that belief seemed justified. Their first win came seventeen games in during December but by March they’d clawed themselves out of the drop zone. In the second half of the season they claimed 36 points from 19 games, including winning seven in a row to finish 13th. Had their first half of the season been better they may have secured European football at Bramall Lane.

Christ, so they did it 2 seasons in a row then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990%E2%80%9391_Sheffield_United_F.C._season#Season_summary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_Sheffield_United_F.C._season

Christ, so they did it 2 seasons in a row then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990%E2%80%9391_Sheffield_United_F.C._season#Season_summary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991%E2%80%9392_Sheffield_United_F.C._season

Would appear so marra.

Brings back very vague memories of seeing Bassett in a Christmas party hat in August to try to get his team to start the season in the same form they show from Christmas onwards. Great days...

OK, I'll join in on the well-deserved kudos.

Well done SAFC on not being the most sh*t team in the country for one month out of nine.

Now tidy up that absolute f*cking pig sty of a town you f*cking bamps. You're an embarrassment to the region.

OK, I'll join in on the well-deserved kudos.

Well done SAFC on not being the most sh*t team in the country for one month out of nine.

Now tidy up that absolute f*cking pig sty of a town you f*cking bamps. You're an embarrassment to the region.

"FTM"

I see West Ham want Poyet as manager. We should should try to get him. We have more pull than them. Ihighly rate Poyet and think he could do wonder with our squad.

Feels like the managerial equivalent of signing Ryan Taylor so he can't score against us.

If both teams start next season with the same managers they'll be finishing well ahead of us imo - look at the respective records since January

Poyet P 19 Pts 24

Pardew P 18 Pts 16

The gap will probably be even bigger after today....

Great escape ? It certainly feels like it. Not the best by a long way, but still and impressive turn around, considering we had the worst start in Premier League history and were bottom at Christmas. And we've done it playing some good football, which was a nice change  O0

Anyway I've got tomorrow off work, so I'm off to the club to enjoy Peroni on draught and watch the last day of the season in a calm and relaxed state  :cool:

Guest antz1uk

Great escape ? It certainly feels like it. Not the best by a long way, but still and impressive turn around, considering we had the worst start in Premier League history and were bottom at Christmas. And we've done it playing some good football, which was a nice change  O0

Anyway I've got tomorrow off work, so I'm off to the club to enjoy Peroni on draught and watch the last day of the season in a calm and relaxed state  :cool:

Look at me.. my club sells peroni  :aww: