Sunderland

Nobody

Poyet was quoted in the Mirror today saying their fans need to stop 'living in the past' and wishing that Quinn and Phillips were still around. Is he beginning to lose it again?

Another group  of fans ebing told "know your place" by the sounds of it.

Im not sure why people follow football anymore when managres talk like this.

See, I agree with this.

Turn up, pay your money, watch crap. Unless you're one of the big teams. In which case don't even bother celebrating when your team goes 2-0 up in the fourth round of a cup.

Football is screwed and I'm becoming more disillusioned by the day.

Do I wish Quinn and Phillips were still around? Yes. Would I miss them as much if the football I'm currently watching wasn't turgid? Probably not.

Look at Burnley, Southampton, West Ham. Showing a bit of ambition. Whether it's with their style of play or backing their manager. They're getting results.

The media doesn't help either. Someone like us, yourselves, even Arsenal now for Gods sake. Get a result at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad and it's 'one the fans will remember for a long time'.

I'd rather remember cup wins, going for the jugular and getting results.

But I suppose that doesn't fit with the status quo.

Good post, hithere.

Imagine 10 years ago going to Man City in a league match with no major importance, winning, and thinking 'My god, I don't think I'll ever forget this win!' :lol: That's why I detest seeing Man City do well in any way, they just shouldn't be where they are. The status quo that Sky Sports have created is sickening. They cant stand the thought of the rich boys being upset by a lesser team.

There's so few talented English players allowed to break through because of this ridiculous obsession with blowing millions upon millions on foreign players for instant results. But they don't care because it just means that the rich boys keep winning. They don't care that fans can't afford to go to games anymore because more people will be able to watch it on TV and there won't be any chants with swearing at the match now, and people can sit there in silence and just marvel over the sterile league that Sky have created. Meanwhile on the continent they can stand and sing whilst watching good football with more homegrown players at generally affordable prices. I fucking hate English football these days. Typing this makes me wonder why I still bother? :lol:

Good post, hithere.

Imagine 10 years ago going to Man City in a league match with no major importance, winning, and thinking 'My god, I don't think I'll ever forget this win!' :lol: That's why I detest seeing Man City do well in any way, they just shouldn't be where they are. The status quo that Sky Sports have created is sickening. They cant stand the thought of the rich boys being upset by a lesser team.

There's so few talented English players allowed to break through because of this ridiculous obsession with blowing millions upon millions on foreign players for instant results. But they don't care because it just means that the rich boys keep winning. They don't care that fans can't afford to go to games anymore because more people will be able to watch it on TV and there won't be any chants with swearing at the match now, and people can sit there in silence and just marvel over the sterile league that Sky have created. Meanwhile on the continent they can stand and sing whilst watching good football with more homegrown players at generally affordable prices. I fucking hate English football these days. Typing this makes me wonder why I still bother? :lol:

Bit hypocritical

Good post, hithere.

There's so few talented English players allowed to break through because of this ridiculous obsession with blowing millions upon millions on foreign players for instant results. But they don't care because it just means that the rich boys keep winning. They don't care that fans can't afford to go to games anymore because more people will be able to watch it on TV and there won't be any chants with swearing at the match now, and people can sit there in silence and just marvel over the sterile league that Sky have created. Meanwhile on the continent they can stand and sing whilst watching good football with more homegrown players at generally affordable prices. I f***ing hate English football these days. Typing this makes me wonder why I still bother? :lol:

Bit hypocritical

No it's not, he's referring to the fact that they're there on financial clout, not merit.

Football has been destroyed by SKY the passion I had in the late 80s and 90s has been sucked out of me totally. I'm just so meh about it now you don't see sections of crowd going mental when a goal goes in, it's just subdued applause at some places not even off your seat material. Yet you look at Bundesliga games and other foreign games and the passion is still intense. SKY have created this us and them with the big boys it's as if the rest are there to be cannon fodder and when we do beat them it's portrayed as some Ronnie Radford like shock that will be remembered forever....fuck off

I have found myself becoming more and more immersed in US sports recently as the system they have with the collegiate and draft setup prevent any of this us and them shite as the sports go in cycles.the parity setup is fantastic and the passion for their teams never wanes

Im losing all interest in English football rapidly so much so that if we did go down it just wouldn't affect me at all and I hate SKY for creating this level of apathy in me

Football has been destroyed by SKY the passion I had in the late 80s and 90s has been sucked out of me totally. I'm just so meh about it now you don't see sections of crowd going mental when a goal goes in, it's just subdued applause at some places not even off your seat material. Yet you look at Bundesliga games and other foreign games and the passion is still intense. SKY have created this us and them with the big boys it's as if the rest are there to be cannon fodder and when we do beat them it's portrayed as some Ronnie Redford like shock that will be remembered forever....f*** off

I have found myself becoming more and more immersed in US sports recently as the system they have with the collegiate and draft setup prevent any of this us and them s**** as the sports go in cycles.the parity setup is fantastic and the passion for their teams never wanes

Im losing all interest in English football rapidly so much so that if we did go down it just wouldn't affect me at all and I hate SKY for creating this level of apathy in me

So glad I have the NHL to watch.

Guest firetotheworks

The point about beating Man City or Chelsea is a good one. To me it used to mean a sign of improvement and a core to start from and to get better and better, now you're a blip on a team that you have no respect for's march to unappreciated glory. I couldn't give a shit when we beat Chelsea for example, because the context of it being such a massive upset and something that we'll remember for a long time is so patronising and askew from the history of both clubs that it just makes me scoff at the situation and, if anything, solidifies our place as not a sleeping giant or an underachiever, but a nothing, plucky underdog. Fuck. That.

Football has been destroyed by SKY the passion I had in the late 80s and 90s has been sucked out of me totally. I'm just so meh about it now you don't see sections of crowd going mental when a goal goes in, it's just subdued applause at some places not even off your seat material. Yet you look at Bundesliga games and other foreign games and the passion is still intense. SKY have created this us and them with the big boys it's as if the rest are there to be cannon fodder and when we do beat them it's portrayed as some Ronnie Radford like shock that will be remembered forever....fuck off

I have found myself becoming more and more immersed in US sports recently as the system they have with the collegiate and draft setup prevent any of this us and them shite as the sports go in cycles.the parity setup is fantastic and the passion for their teams never wanes

Toyed with the idea of replacing football with another sport too, but the American sports aren't for me - not least because they're in a different time zone!

Guest firetotheworks

Fwiw, the worst atmosphere I've ever experienced in my life was at the Neu Camp. Probably because it has no roof so you lose all the sound, but it was honestly totally silent a lot of the time. It was 07/08 vs Almeria like, Messi came on as a sub and it was before Guardiola, so that might have been a factor, but aye, totally dead atmosphere.

Fwiw, the worst atmosphere I've ever experienced in my life was at the Neu Camp. Probably because it has no roof so you lose all the sound, but it was honestly totally silent a lot of the time. It was 07/08 vs Almeria like, Messi came on as a sub and it was before Guardiola, so that might have been a factor, but aye, totally dead atmosphere.

Not surprised. Every match you watch nearly everyone sits there with their camera phones just recording or taking pictures. Sometimes you see people not even celebrate or clap because they're too busy acting like complete tools. I just don't understand why you would destroy the privilege of going to the match by taking pictures of half of it? For example, if we have a good free kick or a penalty, I am far too nervous/excited to concentrate on trying to film it. And if we do score it, I want to properly celebrate, not jump around with a camera in one hand ffs.

I watched Espanyol the other night and they seemed to have a gathering of Ultras behind one of their goals (about 1-2 thousand) and it looked class, and sounded good too. Similar with Atletico Madrid who seem to have a cracking atmosphere (not sure if it will reach the same level since their Ultras were 'banned' from their section) as it's proper fans who live and breathe the club, whereas Real Madrid suffer from the same camera-phone generation as Barca do.

One stadium I would like to go to, especially for a big match, is Feyenoord's De Kuip. Looks like a brilliant atmosphere there- Everdise fans seem to be quite hardcore.

Imagine if The Gallowgate End was all standing? What an atmosphere that could be...

Football has been destroyed by SKY the passion I had in the late 80s and 90s has been sucked out of me totally. I'm just so meh about it now you don't see sections of crowd going mental when a goal goes in, it's just subdued applause at some places not even off your seat material. Yet you look at Bundesliga games and other foreign games and the passion is still intense. SKY have created this us and them with the big boys it's as if the rest are there to be cannon fodder and when we do beat them it's portrayed as some Ronnie Redford like shock that will be remembered forever....f*** off

I have found myself becoming more and more immersed in US sports recently as the system they have with the collegiate and draft setup prevent any of this us and them s**** as the sports go in cycles.the parity setup is fantastic and the passion for their teams never wanes

So glad I have the NHL to watch.

Me too, been a hockey fan for years (Dallas) but its a pity theres no Newcastle team anymore.

Eagles basketball is really good to watch - helps that they win a lot and serve 2 pinters during the game.

Football has been destroyed by SKY the passion I had in the late 80s and 90s has been sucked out of me totally. I'm just so meh about it now you don't see sections of crowd going mental when a goal goes in, it's just subdued applause at some places not even off your seat material. Yet you look at Bundesliga games and other foreign games and the passion is still intense. SKY have created this us and them with the big boys it's as if the rest are there to be cannon fodder and when we do beat them it's portrayed as some Ronnie Radford like shock that will be remembered forever....f*** off

I wasn't old enough at the time, but even before the Sky era, wasn't there a 'big 5' in the media of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs & Everton?

Pretty fucking grim when you actually think that 25-30 years on, but for a few brief spells from clubs like Blackburn, us, Leeds...the only difference is Man City & Chelsea's oil money has muscled in yet Spurs & Everton are still 6th & 7th really. No doubt in 30 years time it'll still be the same, regardless of Sky.

In fact, it's probably because of Sky that average clubs get a very good level of players these days throughout the league.

Football has been destroyed by SKY the passion I had in the late 80s and 90s has been sucked out of me totally. I'm just so meh about it now you don't see sections of crowd going mental when a goal goes in, it's just subdued applause at some places not even off your seat material. Yet you look at Bundesliga games and other foreign games and the passion is still intense. SKY have created this us and them with the big boys it's as if the rest are there to be cannon fodder and when we do beat them it's portrayed as some Ronnie Radford like shock that will be remembered forever....f*** off

I wasn't old enough at the time, but even before the Sky era, wasn't there a 'big 5' in the media of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs & Everton?

Pretty fucking grim when you actually think that 25-30 years on, but for a few brief spells from clubs like Blackburn, us, Leeds...the only difference is Man City & Chelsea's oil money has muscled in yet Spurs & Everton are still 6th & 7th really. No doubt in 30 years time it'll still be the same, regardless of Sky.

In fact, it's probably because of Sky that average clubs get a very good level of players these days throughout the league.

You did have the big teams Liverpools dominance etc, but you had teams like Ipswich,Watford,Forest,Crystal Palace,Wimbledon,Villa,West ham challenging at the top for seasons. Teams like Luton Oxford and Wimbledon winning cups the league was more exciting there was hope for fans of other teams the games meant more to the fans. Saturday at 3.00pm carried a significant meaning

The sit on their hands with their mobile phones brigade or prawn sandwich brigade didn't exist

Games weren't on the telly as much as they are now SKY has saturated the whole game that a lot of us older generation area rapidly losing interest

The fact you now get lower division teams fielding weakened teams in cup competitions was unheard of then. The gap in the premier league between the have and have nots is embarrassing. All of us fans of the remaining 14 teams or so know before a ball is even kicked we can't compete and the main aim is to hit 40pts. You could no sooner finish 8th or bottom

It's just shit all love hope and expectation is gone from me now. Yes we were still shite in the 80s but I enjoyed it the whole period Mick Quinn mark McGhee etc. and the 90s is an era none of us will forget

Them days will never ever return