Sunderland

Nobody

Plenty of fans are happy for the club to continuously take the p*ss out of them, at the end of the day they just want to watch some football. That's fine, but for me that's not what football's all about.

Aye but tbf, if they didn't go to the match it'd be impossible for them to see their BEST mates and 2nd cousin once-removed. Where else can they have a quiet natter about fat uncle gaz and his latest relapse?

What about those who are happy that the club's starting to act like a football club again? are they allowed to go back?

No because you are not a proper fan if you go to games, not until it's been declared acceptable on twitter.

You're killing the club, paying for a ticket and sitting on a seat is killing the club.

Implies you don't understand the point tbh, what does it have to do with actual fucking seats in a stadium and what doesn't it have to do with pumping money into an institution that has been wilfully neglectful of the playing squad, spiteful towards the club's fans and disinterested in success on the field. Ground should have been half empty years ago, might have seen a bit of investment or a new owner sooner.

Plenty of fans are happy for the club to continuously take the p*ss out of them, at the end of the day they just want to watch some football. That's fine, but for me that's not what football's all about.

Aye but tbf, if they didn't go to the match it'd be impossible for them to see their BEST mates and 2nd cousin once-removed. Where else can they have a quiet natter about fat uncle gaz and his latest relapse?

What about those who are happy that the club's starting to act like a football club again? are they allowed to go back?

No because you are not a proper fan if you go to games, not until it's been declared acceptable on twitter.

You're killing the club, paying for a ticket and sitting on a seat is killing the club.

Implies you don't understand the point tbh, what does it have to do with actual f***ing seats in a stadium and what doesn't it have to do with pumping money into an institution that has been wilfully neglectful of the playing squad, spiteful towards the club's fans and disinterested in success on the field. Ground should have been half empty years ago, might have seen a bit of investment or a new owner sooner.

Whether the stadium is full or empty... MA will not give a toss.

Too much money is made from TV and sponsorship deals, MA could easily offset the loss of the revenue from matchday by selling two players on high wages.

The whole "giving money is killing the club" is totally wrong and wide of the mark.

Implies you don't understand the point tbh, what does it have to do with actual f***ing seats in a stadium and what doesn't it have to do with pumping money into an institution that has been wilfully neglectful of the playing squad, spiteful towards the club's fans and disinterested in success on the field. Ground should have been half empty years ago, might have seen a bit of investment or a new owner sooner.

Too much money is made from TV and sponsorship deals, MA could easily offset the loss of the revenue from matchday by selling two players on high wages.

The whole "giving money is killing the club" is totally wrong and wide of the mark.

How do you know? Seems awfully convenient we've seen these new players come in following the first instance of organised and focused unrest.

How do you know? Seems awfully convenient we've seen these new players come in following the first instance of organised and focused unrest.

As I said in my previous post (bottom of the last page), I feel AshleyOut had a positive input on the changes that have gone on this summer but it will not force him out of the club.

I also think their protests were sparse and not very well organised.

It was the media focus on the club brought on by AO that forced MA's hand in making changes.

But that is besides the point, the fact is - whether SJP is empty on matchday (which it wouldn't be, due to away fans) or not... It would not force MA out of the club as he can easily offset the matchday revenue with other means.

Therefore, slating fans for attending games based on money is just downright wrong. Which was my original point.

I won't begrudge anyone going to games, and i doubt I could have the willpower not to completely, I do think however that once the club has obviously given up for the season (once we get to safe-ish) points the fans shouldn't take that, and any gestures that still hand the club money are easy to ignore, not turning up is the only one that might have any effect. I am happy to give McClaren a chance, I do not however think Ashley has suddenly become a good owner. He has invested heavily because the risk of relegation was too high and the potential for profit for staying in the league is way in excess of the spend.

I do not begrudge him being careful with his money however, I begrudge him how much he has taken the fans for granted, the tacky marketing, the disgraceful sponsorship by wonga, the petty media tactics etc etc. McClaren is an improvement, and hopefully he will continue and improve, I hope if he is positive he also has the patience with him he had with an awful manager before and doesn't start the random rollercoaster of which coach will he pick this time again, again assuming McClaren goes some ways to making things better long term. I am however now reasonably convinced McClaren does want to play good entertaining football, it's now down to whether he can do it competently over time.

I do think however that a strong fans voice is very important, be it one that is ignored it gets picked up (admitably badly mostly) by the media and has an effect. In the long term we want an owner who will involve us and not take us for granted again. There is always the chance that Ashley will decide f*** it and screw the club over somehow. I want an owner who genuinely cares I don't think Ashley does.

Also what I was getting at is that I think the investment has been borne mainly out of a fear of attendances dropping off.

happy face has touched on this a fair bit, but I honestly think the club will spend what it can afford. I don't think Ashley has spent the 50million due to fear as such, I think it's because the club simply had the money to spend.

We had loads to spend last year and it sat there untouched, causing an unnecessary relegation scrap.

now I absolutely do not know the ins and outs of the accounts, but wasnt the profit posted last year just a couple of million compared to the £35million this year? I just get the impression they'll spend what the club brings in. Could be totally wide of the mark.

I feel the cat with the message about starting to go back to games.

At the same time though if I was in the area I wouldn't yet. Bit too soon IMO. Having said that there's a bit of optimism,  and let's see where we are by this time next year. McClaren kept mentioning 3 windows, so we'll see.

In the meantime think it's fair enough to follow the club and support the team without attending. Afterall I doubt we'd even be in this improved situation if not for the great work from PardewOut and AshleyOut.

SEMTEX has got this absolutely spot on. We've beat Northampton at home, had an OK transfer window (signing potential, again) and all of a sudden nothing is wrong. 

Our fans loyal watchers really do like living up to their stereotype.

Guest Recoba

Aye but you've gotta admit it's a canny night with the lads when ya beat Northy Town and Willo hits the old onion bag.

Onion sack? My olde timey reference game is poor.

Your crack is mint like.

[emoji38] The whole f***ing point of AO was to direct attention to the situation. Of course the media covering it affected matters, did you think they were going to rely on carrier pigeons to Ashley's house?

My point was the actual protests were extremely poor.

The media picked it up and ran with it and gave it a lot more coverage than it probably deserved, which was my point.

Ashley hasn't spent money because sixty people stood outside SJP singing songs, Ashley has spent money because he fears NUFC could be relegated. Ashley has spent money because the club had the money available to spend (albeit from sales of players in previous windows).

Rubbish. Those protests had a massive effect. The fact they garnered that much media attention tells you all you need to know.

How do you know that? Has Ashley told you?

Ashley only cares about himself, NUFC being relegated was a big concern for him - hence the summer changes.

Why would Ashley give a toss about a very small group of supporters singing and holding banners up? The sit-in after the game, the group who stood outside Nine bar before a game (forget which one) were both awful and taken up by a very small number.

The Tottenham no-show was probably the best, but was still not great.