Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Bent isn't a bad striker despite all the negativity here, but he's too similar to Cisse, that's the problem. Especially the way Pardew teams play.

Yep, he's not a bad player he's just unlikely to come as backup and not what we need as a starter. If he's happy to compete with Cisse for one slot then fair enough.

This is the crux of the issue. I don't see Pardew being given Bent and using him as a back up.

Is there actually any reliable evidence of a bid being in the works? It would be such a counterintuitive transfer.

He's definitely leaving so I assume it's now up to us if we want him as he's unlikely to get a better offer.

I think the question was more about whether there's any evidence we actually want him, as it would be contrary to most other signings we've made.

We've been told by both Pards and Big Joe that we're after a striker and also that we're after more home grown players with PL experience. Plus he's probably going cheap so It's entirely possible based on all that.

Guest reefatoon

We haven't been told we're after PL experience at all. Pards used it as one of his excuses, whether that had any impact on transfer policy is extremely doubtful.

Why would it be extremely doubtful, if that is what he feels we are lacking and what he wants in the team?

Isn't Cisse agitating for more wedge and/or making a principled/tactical fuss about wearing a shirt sponsored by a non-Islamic financial institution? I don't believe we want to sell him, but maybe the interest in Bent is because we reckon we might lose Cisse anyway.

Guest Howaythetoon

He IS a proven Premier League goalscorer...

I would only ever want to see him here either as back-up and at an acceptable price which for me would be in between £4m-£5m. He is easily worth £10m to someone though, especially a side needing goals to stay in the division.

Oh wait...

We haven't been told we're after PL experience at all. Pards used it as one of his excuses, whether that had any impact on transfer policy is extremely doubtful.

Why would it be extremely doubtful, if that is what he feels we are lacking and what he wants in the team?

Because it's not up to him.

He said we'll be after more experienced players. I doubt they're saying "we must sign some 38 year old French players who haven't played in England".

Guest reefatoon

Because it's not up to him.

Well he wasn't sacked in the summer, so they must have listened to what he felt we are lacking and what he feels he needs to make us better. Doesn't sound extremely unlikely from this point of view.

He IS a proven Premier League goalscorer...

I would only ever want to see him here either as back-up and at an acceptable price which for me would be in between £4m-£5m. He is easily worth £10m to someone though, especially a side needing goals to stay in the division.

Oh wait...

I think he would shine with the style Pardew makes us play.  If I remember correctly he prefers to play alone at top and is good at it.  His last season was a poor one, with half of his goals coming against lower league clubs, so you never now if, he might be past his best.

Anyway, what we do with regards to targets remains to be seen, and I can't prove this argument (neither can anyone else mind). It just seems pretty strange to me that we all ready to believe that we're throwing out the most successful aspect of the running of the club because we did badly last season and Pardew made a few comments about lacking experience.

Seems a lot more likely that Pardew got a rocket up him and the onus is on him to improve next season.

Guess we'll see, it's just the desire to believe one version of events that confuses me a bit.

Guest reefatoon

Anyway, what we do with regards to targets remains to be seen, and I can't prove this argument (neither can anyone else mind). It just seems pretty strange to me that we all ready to believe that we're throwing out the most successful aspect of the running of the club because we did badly last season and Pardew made a few comments about lacking experience.

Seems a lot more likely that Pardew got a rocket up him and the onus is on him to improve next season.

Guess we'll see, it's just the desire to believe one version of events that confuses me a bit.

How is that more likely? Because you said so?  Looks like you are believing your own version of events, and that confuses me a bit.

How is that more likely? Because you said so?  Looks like you are believing your own version of events, and that confuses me a bit.

:lol: Saw that coming TBF.

It seems more likely to me because Mike Ashley has found a way of running his club that suits him. Sign undervalued players at reasonable fees on the recommendation of Carr, they are mostly quality and also have resale value when they reach the latter stages of their contracts. They produced a team that finished fifth in the league very recently.

As I said, I don't have any evidence, but it seems to be logically less likely that Ashley is going to sanction a major change in policy to keep Pardew happy.

Also, everyone is usually more than ready to believe and criticise the fact that the manager isn't involved in transfers enough.

I think football is moving on from the Darren Bent type of striker, nowadays you need to get so much more from your front men. For the prices being bandied around, he wouldn't be so bad, and he is near enough guaranteed to hit around 10 goals a season in the league. Cisse was on and off and we don't have any other recognised striker on our books who could come in and look like being a threat.

I think this signing would push Cisse on too. Healthy competition and all that. Unless Pardew wrongly tries to play both together.

I think football is moving on from the Darren Bent type of striker, nowadays you need to get so much more from your front men. For the prices being bandied around, he wouldn't be so bad, and he is near enough guaranteed to hit around 10 goals a season in the league. Cisse was on and off and we don't have any other recognised striker on our books who could come in and look like being a threat.

I think this signing would push Cisse on too. Healthy competition and all that. Unless Pardew wrongly tries to play both together.

Football, like fashion, is cyclical.

If we did sign Bent, in many ways, we'd be style pioneers.

Guest bimpy474

Pardew will definitely have more say in transfers this summer and will definitely be going for mostly British players.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/disgusted/grand/disg_kfdj897.gif

Bent isn't a bad striker despite all the negativity here, but he's too similar to Cisse, that's the problem. Especially the way Pardew teams play.

Agree with this Bent was quality. Ok his form has dipped but he's got the talent to be a quality player again. I'd be happy if we signed

him as competition for Cisse. Because if Cisse gets injured/ is horrendously out of form he'll put bloody Ameobi on !!

Although as has been mentioned i can't really see them forming a good partnership as they are too similar and neither really has that all important pace.

A player like Loic Remy or better is who they'll need to strike a partnership up with. i.e. someone with speed who can CREATE and chip in with the scoring. Think its plain to see if HBA or Goufran get injured we are going to really struggle to create AGAIN.

Krul

Debuchy  Taylor Colo  Santon

Marveaux Cabaye Sissoko

HBA                  Remy/Goufran

Cisse/Bent

Elliott, Mbwia, Haidara, Jonas, Marveaux, Bent/Cisse, Goufran

I wouldn't be surprised if we did chuck Bent in from the off he'd do really well. He must be really wanting to kick start his career again.