Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Mentioning the Liverpool massacre in a defence if Haidara doesn't make much sense to me, like. The kid should've been docked wages for his efforts that day. The worst defensive performance I've seen in our colours in years.

Paul Huntington away at Alkmaar probably tops it by a distance IMO.

Not sure what the big deal is? He came to a club, sold on some bullshit by Pardew, probably happy to pick up  a paycheck then get out of a sinking ship. That's what I would do.

He has to cover because he's not very good at attacking it.

QPR Aerial duels:

Colo - 1/3

Willo - 6/9

Fulham Aerial duels:

Mapou - 2/5

Saylor 4/6

But these are just individual games. You look at whoscored.com it wil tell ya players strengths/weaknesses due to stats:

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2859/Show/Fabricio-Coloccini

I don't think Mapou is particularly weak/weak in the air but he's not particularly strong there yet. He's still young, so long as he gets games, even at full back - he will develop and adapt to the league. Colo caught up and so willl Mapou. But I think he and Colo are too similar. Mapou relying on his pace, Colo his brain - neither their bodies to jump or use strength.

He covers because he's excellent at it, ask Taylor to drop back, watch the game and intercept/mop up potential threats and see what happens.  Does that site have the stats for the number of headers won vs lost for each player over the season listed somewhere?, that's really what I'd like to see.  I'll have a look later like but I'm busy and I thought you might know where it is.

We agree that Yanga-Mbiwa isn't necessarily weak anyway, which was my main point initially.  We'll see more after he's bedded in if him and Coloccini can play together.

WhoScored use stats to judge players strengths and weaknesses. A player that gets 95% passing and only passes sideways would be described as passing being a strength however. But if a player has passing at 50%, in any terms that his bad.

Coloccini has aerial duels as a weakness because he loses a lot of them.

Willo wins a lot in the air. But his headers have poor power and direction.

Never understand when teams make it so clear they don't want a player they are trying to sell (like banning them from training).

Not exactly the best bargaining technique, like a car salesman telling the potential customer the car they are looking at is at the back of the lot because he doesn't want people to think they sell cars that shite :lol:

Guest Recoba

I have always rated Darren Bent. Wherever he has gone he has always scored goals. Even for Spurs he was prolific in relation to games played. I wanted us to sign him from Ipswich years ago but we got Titus and Ambrose instead! athe mackems have never recovered from his departure. The one thing you neef in the Premiership is goals.  The past rwo years we have struggled to score, last year our defence fell apart and we were fucked.Other than Cisse, a contribution from Ben Arfa, a few from Gouffran and Cabaye (who may leave) there are no goals in our squad.  Lambert obviously has a mandate to go young and froze out Given, Bent, Dunne, Ireland and Hutton. You could argue (sure Lambert would) that all those players are finished.

For various reasons I dont feel we have the luxury to be choosy. e are where we are and Bent would improve our squad in my opinion. My only concern is that he is too similar to Cisse. Both are basically goalscorers and nowt else.

I don't mind a player like Bent being available but we'll try him 4-4-2 with Cisse and it won't work, then Cisse will get shunted out to the wing again...

If we signed him and another more useful striker who can play deeper, wide or hold the ball up that would be fine, I fear Bent is seen as the answer to our striking problems which he isn't. We haven't the best squad to feed him either.

Guest Recoba

Darren Bent.  :scared: Is this what it has come to?

It does make you wonder what the question is..

If the price drops to the £4-5m mark it wouldn't be a bad deal provided we had a manager who knew how to play Cisse and Bent together. He's still a quality Prem striker at the right price. Whether he's the right striker for us is the issue.

We will still struggle with or without bent if we don't buy some creativity on the wing and goals/creativity through the centre.

Bent and Remy would be fantastic though IMO. Bent turned us down when at ipswich right? We had a cheap deal on the cards too.

If villa get a £4m offer off someone and they don't have to contribute to his wages they should take it. Same goes for Ireland, any cash offer should be seriously considered. The money saved lambert will put to better use, no doubt about that.

Terrible move if this comes off.

Why terrible?

Not trendy enough.

I personally hope we sign someone from abroad who has a worse record and costs twice as much.

Or young and French. Therefore surely will come good in a few years.