Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Would like to see a 4312 with Hatem at the front of a diamond slipping through-balls to Cisse and Bent. Could be tasty.

We have enough hardworking players for the midfield three.

Only problem is don't think Pardew would ever consider it.

I think football is moving on from the Darren Bent type of striker, nowadays you need to get so much more from your front men.

That's the thing. That's exactly it. And that's why Lambert wants to move him on, the game has moved on, and strikers of the type of Bent are old hat.

But, as I said, if you play to his strengths, he's one of the best around. If you don't, then he's a waste of space.

Chicharito scores a lot of important goals as a poacher. Fergie expects a lot of every player, but he was happy to play him, even as a starter in the CL final against Barca. Bent is cheap enough to be a massive upgrade on Shola without presumably blowing the transfer or wage kitty.

Tactically, I reckon Bent would be a good buy because it would force any sensible manager/DOF to bring more creativity into the team, something which Cisse needs. I think our lack of creativity also leads to HBA and more recently Sissoko trying too hard. An active threat in place of Jonas alone would be a big step forward.

Guest Bert Shaft

Replacing Jonas with a genuinely creative player would elevate the side beyond belief.

..and would also leave Santon open to getting ripped apart every game. Jonas goes then fine, but then we need an experienced  proper left back.

Replacing Jonas with a genuinely creative player would elevate the side beyond belief.

..and would also leave Santon open to getting ripped apart every game. Jonas goes then fine, but then we need an experienced  proper left back.

Not if we defend from the front and press correctly.

Only a pipe dream though due to who our manager is.

I think football is moving on from the Darren Bent type of striker, nowadays you need to get so much more from your front men.

That's the thing. That's exactly it. And that's why Lambert wants to move him on, the game has moved on, and strikers of the type of Bent are old hat.

But, as I said, if you play to his strengths, he's one of the best around. If you don't, then he's a waste of space.

Which begs the question, why set up a system that plays to his strengths, if the trend is to more modern systems, as you said in the first sentence.

There's a sense with the more traditional system with wingers and a central striker that certain players are in more static positions, waiting for the ball. The trend which has existed for many years is for players to be more flexible, swapping positions to pull defences out of position, and sharing the workload out.

The second point of wanting someone stronger and better aerially is a fair enough point, so I think it could be sensible to pick Taylor ahead of Mbiwa.  I personally would like to see how Colo and Mbiwa would work but i'm pretty certain that won't be first choice next season.

Santon can learn how to defend. Or be dropped for Haidara/Mbiwa