Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

Dude, as stupid as Pardew is there's no way Jonas gets a look in with Remy and Downing in the squad.

i have so little faith in the man i just don't believe it dude, i really don't, he's terrified of his own shadow...he'd find a way to get jonas in :lol:

career stats for downing on wiki, so basic (appearance, goals, assists):

'boro      234    22    43

villa        79      11    15

liverpool  91      7      11

since leaving 'boro he's basically been very, very average at best and frankly wasn't that hot shit at 'boro either stats-wise

5 goals, 8 assists in 45 last season (3 and 5 in 29 league games). He can deliver a cross, a trait the vast majority of our players lack.

Interesting factoid, Downey notched all 8 league goals/assists in games in which Liverpool outscored their opponents by a combined score of 30-2 (7-0 record, the only goals against coming in the 3-2 home win against Spurs). So he did pick-up his stats in blow out games.

That's impressive for a physio.

Interesting factoid, Downey notched all 8 league goals/assists in games in which Liverpool outscored their opponents by a combined score of 30-2 (7-0 record, the only goals against coming in the 3-2 home win against Spurs). So he did pick-up his stats in blow out games.

This is *so* American. :D

I expect a full sabermetrics report by the morning. :snod:

Much prefer Ince but at least it appears we have woken up in the transfer market.

Derren Brown put us to sleep in a phone box with him on the other end of the line. Put us in a wheelchair and flew us overseas. We've just woken up in the transfer market.

Dude, as stupid as Pardew is there's no way Jonas gets a look in with Remy and Downing in the squad.

i have so little faith in the man i just don't believe it dude, i really don't, he's terrified of his own shadow...he'd find a way to get jonas in :lol:

Will hinge on who he feels will track back/keep it tight more, if it comes to that.

Speaking as someone who's gone out of their way to watch Stewart Downing's pathetic attempts at impersonating a premier league winger over the last couple of seasons, I'd be pissed off if he played for us and I was forced into it every week.

Bad idea.

I don't want him and I think he's shite, but it isn't all about assists and goals stats. Jonas is poor now, but a season or two back he was a good player for us despite his poor assists and goal record. He would win a ridiculous amount of free kicks in dangerous positions and on so many occasions take the pressure off the team by moving the ball up the field and keeping it.

5 goals, 8 assists in 45 last season (3 and 5 in 29 league games). He can deliver a cross, a trait the vast majority of our players lack.

That's impressive for a physio.

;D  it is impressive like, to be faye

Seems a bit far-fetched to me. English players have inflated prices, we pay low prices and Liverpool can't be over the £35m business.

Liverpool have signed loads this season, they need to clear off the wage bill and IIRC he's a big earner there. It makes sense to get rid cheap-ish given he's 29 already and not that good.

His wages is what makes me doubt you'll be in for him though.

career stats for downing on wiki, so basic (appearance, goals, assists):

'boro      234    22    43

villa        79      11    15

liverpool  91      7      11

since leaving 'boro he's basically been very, very average at best and frankly wasn't that hot s*** at 'boro either stats-wise

According to those stats he actually improved at Villa, going from scoring 1 in 10 to 1 in 7 and creating a goal from 1 in 5.5 to 1 in 5.2. At Liverpool his average was 1 goal in 13 games and 1 assist in 8, whereas his career average is 1 goal in 10 games and 1 assist in 6.

So based on his career averages, say he played 30 games for us over the season we'd expect him to score 3 goals and create 5.

Personally I don't think that's enough for a winger......although it's a massive improvement on Gutierrez who last year got 1 goal and no assists and the year before got 2 goals and 3 assists (in the PL).

Having Remy, Ben Arfa and Gouffran I really can't see us playing a formation that suits Downing so the idea of him being better than Jonas is null and void. They won't be playing in the same position.

Some (correctly) moan about Pardew's lack of ambition but isn't wanting to sign a player just because he is better than one of your worst exactly the same thing?

I don't want us to sign a player because he is better than Shola, Jonas etc.. we will just be replacing a player we don't want in the side with another one we don't really want in the side.

I also don't want us to sign players because they are the sort of player that would suit Pardew's 'hoofball'. If he can't work with quality players then we need to consider where our (his) future lies. Feels like we have been there before.

Guest TurboTrev

Downing's a decent player, I'd certainly have him.  He works hard, has got pace and can deliver a decent cross.