Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

Too much probably.

To be fair he may just be about that, I mean he has already sat on the bench at a money-bags club before in Chelsea and made the decision to move to another one in Man City so either he's all about the money or both times he's backed himself to break into the team.

World cup year as well so if he wants to go he needs to be playing regularly because he's no where near the England squad at the moment.

Some bloke on RAWK:

the Stewart Downing of last year was better than 5 million.

I understand wanting to clear the wages and I understand all recent transfer activity suggests clearing wages trumps over transfer fees but who knows. I'd swap for Ben Arfa but I think Downing has become a little underrated and he can certainly still do a job.

:idiot2:

I've only just seen Ryder suggested we're not in for him and he's been offered around lots of clubs and has ridiculous wages. Suppose Ryder knows bout as much as the rest of us though so no idea.

Some bloke on RAWK:

the Stewart Downing of last year was better than 5 million.

I understand wanting to clear the wages and I understand all recent transfer activity suggests clearing wages trumps over transfer fees but who knows. I'd swap for Ben Arfa but I think Downing has become a little underrated and he can certainly still do a job.

:idiot2:

As if we would be stupid enough, an injured Ben Arfa out of form would get £10m at least, a Ben Arfa in form would get something from £15m to £35m depending on who was interested in him.

How much is he on at Cit-eh?

Trebled his 20k wages IIRC.

No wonder he doesn't want to go anywhere. £60K for Scott Sinclair, man.

Pretty much the reason why I don't see him coming here, thats why I think if we buy English then we would would go lower level Premiership club or Championship youth prospect. One of the reasons why Downing wouldn't come as well, I doubt we would match what he's on at Liverpool.

For those people suggesting Ince would be the better buy, maybe if we hadn't just signed up Loic Remy, a far superior player at a better price. Downing is more of a left wing supply/track back player who will also give us the best of English qualities. It makes absolute sense to me, as long as it's at the right price.

How much is he on at Cit-eh?

Trebled his 20k wages IIRC.

No wonder he doesn't want to go anywhere. £60K for Scott Sinclair, man.

He said on his twitter account a week or so ago that he's leaving..... really hope we are in there tbh.

I think Downing was a bit of a scapegoat at Liverpool for Dalglish and isn't as bad as people make out. There may also be understandable resentment toward him because he has too many England caps (almost as many as Steve Coppell for old timers) relative to his ability due to the general poor quality of English wide players. Contrast with Carrick in the middle, Leighton Baines, any CH behind Rio and Terry etc.

If the idea is to replace Jonas without worrying about losing his defensive contribution, Downing mightn't be such a bad shout. He's still got a wicked cross on him, and Debuchy and Santon both look like they need protection that'll have to come from somewhere. If he'll take Jonas's wages, I wouldn't be that against, assuming that he's not gone bling bling on his Liverpool wages and can't really be arsed giving it all any more.

stinks of signings like duff, "experience" and all that bollocks - equates to an expensive never-was with his better years behind him

feel/felt the exact same about bent as i do this prospect, it's pardew convincing them that last seasons failures were that he didn't have enough "experience" and probably enough englishmen when we all know what the main problem was last year

Downing would be our best pure winger by far were he to come here. As some have said, he'd replace the Jonas workrate and add creativity. I'd never advocate signing him over someone like Sinclair but he'd make us better. We need a squad with strong competition for places.

if someone could guarantee me it meant never seeing jonas near the first team ever again then yeah, maybe i could get on board if he cost fuck all and wages weren't that high but i have no faith in pardew...he'll crowbar jonas in there somewhere so we'd have jonas running about doing dick and downing tracking back well providing 1 assist every 20 games (or whatever his average is)

everything presupposes that we have to sign wingers to succeed as well, we don't, we just need to find a formula that makes use of the players we have which really shouldn't be that hard tbh

5 goals, 8 assists in 45 last season (3 and 5 in 29 league games). He can deliver a cross, a trait the vast majority of our players lack.

Interesting factoid, Downey notched all 8 league goals/assists in games in which Liverpool outscored their opponents by a combined score of 30-2 (7-0 record, the only goals against coming in the 3-2 home win against Spurs). So he did pick-up his stats in blow out games.