Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

Having Remy, Ben Arfa and Gouffran I really can't see us playing a formation that suits Downing so the idea of him being better than Jonas is null and void. They won't be playing in the same position.

Some (correctly) moan about Pardew's lack of ambition but isn't wanting to sign a player just because he is better than one of your worst exactly the same thing?

I don't want us to sign a player because he is better than Shola, Jonas etc.. we will just be replacing a player we don't want in the side with another one we don't really want in the side.

I also don't want us to sign players because they are the sort of player that would suit Pardew's 'hoofball'. If he can't work with quality players then we need to consider where our (his) future lies. Feels like we have been there before.

I tend to agree... we do need a player who can operate wide, but I was thinking more a wide forward than an orthodox winger. That said, I really don't know how Pardew is planning to line up. And obviously options are good.

Guest icemanblue

Must admit, I wouldn't mind Downing for the figures being thrown around. He's an improvement on most of our backup options in wide positions.

Thought Downing and Henderson both started hitting some decent form towards back end of last season but regardless of Liverpool now cutting losses after realising they've made a huge financial error by buying bang average English talent for huge sums, i wouldn't even bail them out and give them 5 million considering his age and wage demands.

Guest icemanblue

We'd never get rid of him man, he's ineffective and getting worse.

He looked alright in the second half of last season, like. On his day, he can be a threat, and I'd prefer to see him over Obertan. Not entirely convinced we'll be seriously interested, like, because of the bother we'll ahve shifting him if it doesn't work out.

We'd never get rid of him man, he's ineffective and getting worse.

He looked alright in the second half of last season, like. On his day, he can be a threat, and I'd prefer to see him over Obertan. Not entirely convinced we'll be seriously interested, like, because of the bother we'll ahve shifting him if it doesn't work out.

Too high risk imo, get in someone who we can move on if it doesn't work out. I'm all for signing an older gent if they're actually good, but I think Cajun's right in saying we'll be sick of the sight of him within 12 months, and his presence will stop us improving.

There's nowt wrong with the basic principles of our transfer policy. Sign young, decent players on the cheap. The problem is we're too limited in our scope and need to expand the scouting resources. This, on the other hand, would just be the polar opposite - a lazy O'Neill signing. Really hope we don't get him.

Downing's a decent player, I'd certainly have him.  He works hard, has got pace and can deliver a decent cross.

He had a good season for us, but I would in no way describe him as a hard worker.

Ashley Young on the other wing worked twice as hard.

We are going to need another homegrown player soon. Rather it was Ince or Sinclair mind.

Still weird Sinclair hasn't been strongly linked with a move away from Man City... maybe they need him for the homegrown rule too.

Has Sinclair recovered from the medical condition he suffered last season?

We are going to need another homegrown player soon. Rather it was Ince or Sinclair mind.

Still weird Sinclair hasn't been strongly linked with a move away from Man City... maybe they need him for the homegrown rule too.

I was wondering this yesterday. Hart, Richards, Barry, Milner, Rodwell, Lescott, Sinclair.. Not sure who else they have?

I was wondering this yesterday. Hart, Richards, Barry, Milner, Rodwell, Lescott, Sinclair.. Not sure who else they have?

Richard Wright and Gael Clichy.  Maybe Guidetti?

Guest reefatoon

Imagine signing this knackerpot.  A few injuries into the season could see us with Downing on the left, Obertan on the right and Shola upfront, Just makes you shudder.

Actually that would be the attacking lineup when we are knocked out of the cups at the first attempt as usual.

If we want someone on the left who gets wide and delivers crosses consistently, then unfortunately Sinclair isn't that guy. I see the thinking in getting a more traditional winger for the left side, as Santon is naturally right footed and looks to cut in, and so this would provide a good balance.

However, I would hope we could do better than Downing. Cheeky bid for JK's old pal Insomnia?

There's really not that many left footed, left wing players that can put in a decent cross, that I can think of tbh.

Who do you play for, like?

I'm a free agent at the minute. In a moon boot recovering from a broken metatarsal, mind i'm still confident i could put in a better performance than Downing.