Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

Guest bimpy474

Will be gutted if Stewie was sold for that amount.

An absolute shithouse of a player, but still worth more than 5M in today's market.

Must be his 75K/week wages.

:lol: Living in an absolute dream world.

The Liverpool way :lol:

I think it's called "delusional". Bunch of fucking knackers them lot.

An absolute shithouse of a player, but still worth more than 5M in today's market.

Why? Because it will mean that LFC and Queen Kenny are not the only mugs that would pay over the odds for him? I hope you get stuck with him for the rest of his contract, or sell him for 750k next summer.

What's the point?  Take whatever we save on the wage difference between him and Ince over a contract and get Ince in.  Decent young player with potential rather than an aged never was.  Shouldn't even be a question.

What's the point?  Take whatever we save on the wage difference between him and Ince over a contract and get Ince in.  Decent young player with potential rather than an aged never was.  Shouldn't even be a question.

very good post overall, ince doesn't have "experience" though mate

if we wanted ince we'd have been in at blackpool already imo, with the wonga links and the friendly...ain't happening imo

We could be possibly prioritising the striker deals before anything else (as said by JFK) if someone else moved for an earmarked winger then we've got a decision to make, until then it can wait and keep focused on getting Gomis in.

perhaps, but it's a hell of a risk considering how available ince is supposed to be at a rumoured decent price

He's been available and that price all summer though, no established premiership club has gone in for him. As soon as one does I'm sure one or two more will as well, including us if he really is a target.

Guest Slippery Sam

I must say I find this Tom Ince love-in a bit perplexing. All I can see is another over-hyped slightly-above-average English footballer.

I guess it would really be good if he played in the prem so we could find out, one way or the other, just how good he is (or could be). 

Question is though, if he's that good, and he's available at a decent price, why he hasn't been snapped up yet?  Wages perhaps??

I must say I find this Tom Ince love-in a bit perplexing. All I can see is another over-hyped slightly-above-average English footballer.

I guess it would really be good if he played in the prem so we could find out, one way or the other, just how good he is (or could be). 

Question is though, if he's that good, and he's available at a decent price, why he hasn't been snapped up yet?  Wages perhaps??

8m isn't exactly a 'decent price'. So far Liverpool had refused to pay that and while Cardiff does, he rejected them.

8m isn't exactly a 'decent price'. So far Liverpool had refused to pay that and while Cardiff does, he rejected them.

Hughton got the bargain player in Redmond, that's the kind of fee and wage you expect to be paying for that type of player.

Guest Slippery Sam

I didn't know that - cheers.  It will be interesting to see him in the top league, to see how he performs.

If he's going to be moved on then he'll have to come to terms with a pretty drastic wage cut, since none of the clubs that will be interested will pay anything like 75k a week. he might get about half that. £5m isn't cheap for a 29 yr old either. He wouldn't be a bad signing for us, but the price would have to be less than that I'd have thought.

Alot of Liverpool fans seem strangely disappointed about the idea of this, I would take him but only if we don't get one of the younger more preferable targets. If you offered me Gomis, Remy and Downing a week ago i'd have bit your hand of. Would still like some young defensive cover though.

I know Downing is a figure of fun and jokes (and well, he deserves it for that "unbelievable season" a couple of years ago), but last season, from christmas up-wards he started nearly everygame and was an integral part to the team that lost 3 times in the whole of 2013.

He ain't a world beater, he always bottles it in massive games, but he's a decent functional player when everything is going well. In today's inflated market, I don't think it's unrealistic to say a former England-international with many years of PL experience at a decently average level (if you look at his career at a whole) is worth around 7-8M (that's his true worth imo).

But then, I guess his high wages work against us in our negotiation leverages. Just because a player is utter shit for one team, it doesn't mean he'll be shit everywhere. He'd be an instant upgrade on Jonas/Obertan/ and your other orthodox 4-4-2 wingers.

It's fashionable to say "OMG, DELUSIONAL LIVERPOOL FAN" , "OMG HISTORY" , "KKK" etc...but I don't think it's true in case of valuation of Downing. Shame O'Neil got sacked, or else the deal will be done.

In case he leaves, his biggest legacy will be that performance at Old Trafford in February 2012. By far the most gutless, and disgusting performance I've seen from a LFC player in a big game. Bottling shithouse.

You may be a very decent chap but I don't like you as a poster at all. Not one bit.

I know Downing is a figure of fun and jokes (and well, he deserves it for that "unbelievable season" a couple of years ago), but last season, from christmas up-wards he started nearly everygame and was an integral part to the team that lost 3 times in the whole of 2013.

He ain't a world beater, he always bottles it in massive games, but he's a decent functional player when everything is going well. In today's inflated market, I don't think it's unrealistic to say a former England-international with many years of PL experience at a decently average level (if you look at his career at a whole) is worth around 7-8M (that's his true worth imo).

But then, I guess his high wages work against us in our negotiation leverages. Just because a player is utter s*** for one team, it doesn't mean he'll be s*** everywhere. He'd be an instant upgrade on Jonas/Obertan/ and your other orthodox 4-4-2 wingers.

It's fashionable to say "OMG, DELUSIONAL LIVERPOOL FAN" , "OMG HISTORY" , "KKK" etc...but I don't think it's true in case of valuation of Downing. Shame O'Neil got sacked, or else the deal will be done.

In case he leaves, his biggest legacy will be that performance at Old Trafford in February 2012. By far the most gutless, and disgusting performance I've seen from a LFC player in a big game. Bottling shithouse.

And yet you'd like 8million for him and he's 29. Liverpool paid far to much for him originally. I'd say he was worth 15million tops when you bought him and since then his value has plummeted. Same goes for Darren Bent at Villa, the ridiculous fee's just mess with people's heads.

5mil would be a good price imo.