Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

Liverpool supporting mate of mine just said this to me ( so take it with a pinch of salt)

the stories say Liverpool are willing to sell Downing for £5m and that Downing would be open to a move to Newcastle because they're near his home... not that Newcastle have bid or inquired over him (or that they're even seriously interested)

Not saying that is the facts but that does make sense and he says he's on 80k a week :lol:

And Downing's father's going around saying he's coming here, allegedly.

Could you dig that one out by any chance, know you mentioned it earlier? I missed it tbh, just wanted to know the context and stuff.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,76584.msg4549070.html#msg4549070

A very decent buy at £5m, but I'm inclined to believe Ryder on this one.

Do you think its decent vs £8m for Ince though?

I'm not sure about Ince. I can see why some clubs are hovering, and I can also see why they're hesitating.

With Downing, you get an experienced Premiership player, and one who is fairly versatile.

But like I said, I think it's all academic. This is an unconvincing rumour.

Marv's stats?

Marv isn't a winger.

I know this. Would like still like to see his stats for last season. 3 assists wasn't it?

5 according to soccernet. Marv was actually pretty mint on the wing when he first joined before his injury.

Played about 2 games didn't he?

Had a few in carling cup or something. Remember him getting pens & crossing for lovenkrands to score etc looked like it suited him at the time.

Liverpool supporting mate of mine just said this to me ( so take it with a pinch of salt)

the stories say Liverpool are willing to sell Downing for £5m and that Downing would be open to a move to Newcastle because they're near his home... not that Newcastle have bid or inquired over him (or that they're even seriously interested)

Not saying that is the facts but that does make sense and he says he's on 80k a week :lol:

And Downing's father's going around saying he's coming here, allegedly.

Could you dig that one out by any chance, know you mentioned it earlier? I missed it tbh, just wanted to know the context and stuff.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,76584.msg4549070.html#msg4549070

:thup:

Don't really read that thread. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/aiJohPB.png

Please don't sign Downing

Barrett and Caulkin on this? just seems so unlike us but I'd trust those guys info

Are they? i don't follow Barrett but i haven't seen anything from Caulkin.

link in the OP you can get the authors and Barretts the guy who you listen to on liverpool stuff

I'd rather not buy players because they were slightly better than our shit players.

Pretty sure we could get a lot better for £5m even if he was French/plays in France *spits in disgust*

Fairly mocking post just for the sake of it.

Liverpool form aside he's lots better than most of our current options out wide.  Get a similar player from France then fine, although I don't think it's healthy packing the whole squad full of French players and there's something to be said for getting a few players of other nationalities in.

Not really, I would just rather we signed players because they are quality rather than being less shit than some of our weaker players. He has been at Liverpool for 2 years and is 29 years old. I can't see his form improving.

Downing is miles better than Jonas, he was quite decent second half of last season.

I thought this too, but as long as the price isn't high, I'd welcome him in our squad. (I'd prefer Ince of course)

I'd rather not buy players because they were slightly better than our shit players.

Pretty sure we could get a lot better for £5m even if he was French/plays in France *spits in disgust*

Fairly mocking post just for the sake of it.

Liverpool form aside he's lots better than most of our current options out wide.  Get a similar player from France then fine, although I don't think it's healthy packing the whole squad full of French players and there's something to be said for getting a few players of other nationalities in.

Not really, I would just rather we signed players because they are quality rather than being less shit than some of our weaker players. He has been at Liverpool for 2 years and is 29 years old. I can't see his form improving.

Not sure anyone who is saying they wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him (including me, obvs) are saying it simply because they're less shit than our weaker players.  He's a good player and is proven in the Premier League, so has a head start on a lot of alternatives and would add a bit of variety amongst all of the other French/unproven/never-been-there-before players.  Don't see why his form can't improve, he's hit a rut at Liverpool like most Dalglish signings did.