Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

He looks to have really matured as a player and grown in confidence. The potential was always there, but he seemed to go through a period where he was afraid to try things and retreated into his shell. He seems to have put that behind him.

This might be an outrageous lack of awareness from my part. But I think Dummett has always been this good / bad. He has always been comfortable defending and loves a tackle, along with having decent pace once upto speed. Obviously his deficiencies have been attacking, particularly the dreaded hoof. 

I also find it strange he received this praise after Soton, who have been collectively branded as one of, if not the shittest team to grace the turf at St James' this season.

After relegation many people agreed that had Dummett not been injured for a lengthy spell we most likely would have accrued the additional point to stay up. He's not pretty, but he's a reliable 6 or 7 / 10 most weeks. Roll on the next 4 years Pauly D.

‘Many people agreed’ is a stretch. 

I would say 30% tops suggested he was a significant miss.  Some even said Manquillo was better or on par with PD.  I agree that he’s not gotten significantly better.

Many people could be 8 or 800, I never said it was a forum wide conforming :lol:

Defenisively as solid as Enriqué.

Can we not just praise a player for doing well without forcing people into making negative posts about him in response to nonsense like this? [emoji38]

But he is imo, and I had a Jersey with Enrique on the back. No-one  got past Enrique, and no-one gets past Dummett, and if they ever did, both had the pace to make up for it. Not sure why you'd say what I wrote was nonsense.

starting to win me over. Local lad - only problem is that he is not great going forward. Good reliable defender! 

I think his attacking play has improved a lot too. It's not just the 30 yard hoof infield any more.

I'm eagerly awaiting his sliding tackle compilation video to drop on YouTube. Can't be long now.

I'm on it.

Will be complete with earth shudders & explosions as he crunches into tackles.

Don't forget the Evanescence soundtrack. Bring Me To Life or My Immortal are fine.

SAIL

Defenisively as solid as Enriqué.

Can we not just praise a player for doing well without forcing people into making negative posts about him in response to nonsense like this? [emoji38]

But he is imo, and I had a Jersey with Enrique on the back. No-one  got past Enrique, and no-one gets past Dummett, and if they ever did, both had the pace to make up for it. Not sure why you'd say what I wrote was nonsense.

Nobody gets past him but he doesn't often win back possession like Enrique did. But as somebody else said, it works for our system. He concedes a throw and we get the chance to re-organise.

starting to win me over. Local lad - only problem is that he is not great going forward. Good reliable defender! 

I think his attacking play has improved a lot too. It's not just the 30 yard hoof infield any more.

It looks the same to me, he's fine to play the odd short pass when we aren't under pressure, otherwise he'll hoof as per normal. He always had a surprisingly good delivery on the cross as well, just you don't get to see it much as he rarely gets that far up the pitch.

Dummett's in good form but we need another left back for competition, ideally someone better going forward but solid defensively too. To be run like a normal football club we'd have 2 natural left backs obviously so hopefully thats addressed in the summer.

Dummett's in good form but we need another left back for competition, ideally someone better going forward but solid defensively too. To be run like a normal football club we'd have 2 natural left backs obviously so hopefully thats addressed in the summer.

I reckon if we brought in anyone who is worse than Dummett defensively, we would miss him straight away and he would be back in the 11 pretty quickly. Can't help but feel we'd have to spend an amount we won't be in the game to spend to get a full back who can attack but is also as good as Dummett going on the other way. The way he has played this season I'm not sure we need a replacement, a backup certainly, but I think we should be looking to put funds in other places than left back.

I have to swallow my pride and say I have been way ott, borderline out of order, in criticizing him. He may be limited in technical ability, but he has earned the right to be clear first choice LB with some solid and consistent performances this season. His motivation and sacrifice for the team to stay up is very admirable and will no doubt send positive signals to the rest of the team as well.

I hope in a year or two the club will have progressed enough to replace him with someone that have similar defensive and better offensive qualities, but for now he is one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

We're not going to buy a backup left back with the likes of Haidara, Manquillo and Lazaar on the books.

Dummett is so clearly the only first-team quality left back we have that the biggest danger is complacency - although he seems to have his feet grounded.