Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

I don't dislike Dummett and think he could still have a long-term future with us in the centre, and he gave one of his better performances at left back today even before the goal. He was still tucking in too much and allowing Man Utd too much space down the right, but on those occasions where he was caught wider and had to face Martial one-on-one, he tended to come out on top. Still it's a bit painful how restricted we are down the left with him at full back: it seems that our tactics involve deliberately refusing to pass him the ball, so everything has to go down our right or through the centre. I wonder how much better we would be regardless of any other changes if we simply had a reliable left back who would run the flank and could whip in a good cross.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that both Wijnaldrum and Perez have totally disappeared when they've been asked to play in front of him on that left hand side. It forces the team to basically attack only down the right, or long ball to Mitrovic.

He's a good back up but we need a LB who's comfortable on the ball in the summer.

He's always been a good one-on-one defender, even on his debut coming in against Navas he performed his defensive duties really well. It's just a shame he isn't a few inches taller because, for his size, he's actually good in the air and would be a good left-sided centre half.