Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Whilst I feel Dummett will be good enough for us in the Championship, If teams are willing to pay the British premium price I would let him go on a minute. If we are serious about going straight back up I would rather Rafa was allowed to invest in a team that will be better suited to his style and capable of playing Premier League football next season.

Dummett at LB pretty much is his style, though.

I've read that Rafa likes his full backs key strength to be their defensive work but his past players like Risse and signings of Fabio Aurelio and Ghoulam suggest he likes his full backs to offer something in the final third. Unfortunately something Dummett isn't too comfortable with.

If he sees Dummett as a centre half yes I would keep but as a left back I definitely think we need an upgrade.

If they make him a squad player or even a regular cb then ffs take the number 3 off him. Misplaced squad numbers arghhhhh...I'll head back over to the pet hates thread now.

I'll take solid defensively over an attacking left back leaking soft goals any day.

You have to be at least average going forward thoughton, they shouldn't be exclusive of each other.

Exactly, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive.  He is solid defensively, but offers absolutely nothing going forward.  Considering we don't play a left footed winger in front of him.  It really f***s us up.  As we have no width down that side and there is usually loads of space for him to overlap and join in the attack.  But he just doesn't bother, or he can't, because he isn't good enough.

I quite like him and I think he is a really solid defender, TBH.  I just think fullbacks who are comfortable on the ball and are good going forward.  Are pretty important if you want to play decent, passing football. 

Aye, I agree. But for now, players that are good at the basics of their role I think is good.

• 2 months later...