Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

He's an excellent defender, which is not suprising since he was supposed to be a centre back. He offers nothing going forward.

It depends what you want from your full back. There are very few that can do both sides of the game, be careful what you wish for.

Give me a defender who can defender over a defender with loads of pace and skill but is positionally all over the place. I understand that those aren't the only two options but players who can do both are incredibly hard to come by.

Gouffran is a much bigger problem on that side.

He's not an "excellent" defender though, is he? He's acceptable defensively, but he's hardly the Maldini some make him out to be.

His lack of ability going forward wouldn't be such an issue in many teams but given Rafa's system I think we need a LB who can actually do something with the ball. Rafa loves his inverted wingers meaning any real width in our attack has to come from the full-backs. If we were to sign a left footed, pacy winger and actually play him on the left then I'd have no real issue with Dummett staying in the team. That seems unlikely though.

You sure? Never recall Valencia or Liverpool having roving fullbacks.

Did they have decent wide midfielders in front of the full backs? The Dummett/Gouffran duo seems an unlikely partnership to provide any service to the strikers.

If you want to rely on him not getting beat all that often and knicking in in front of players to take/clear the ball then he's effective. If you want to retain possession/create then he's horrendous. One tends to negate the other depending on the opposition. He's good at what he does and what he's lacking he's incapable of.

His lack of ability going forward wouldn't be such an issue in many teams but given Rafa's system I think we need a LB who can actually do something with the ball. Rafa loves his inverted wingers meaning any real width in our attack has to come from the full-backs. If we were to sign a left footed, pacy winger and actually play him on the left then I'd have no real issue with Dummett staying in the team. That seems unlikely though.

Did they have decent wide midfielders in front of the full backs? The Dummett/Gouffran duo seems an unlikely partnership to provide any service to the strikers.

I'd like to think so as they won a fair few trophies :lol:

Not sure what point you are making anymore though. I was simply stating in response to your statement that Rafa seems to like his fullbacks to stay home so in essence someone of Dummett's ilk is perfectly suite. Not saying he's good or anything but I can see why he is picked for virtually every game and currently the least of his worries.

I'd like to think so as they won a fair few trophies :lol:

Not sure what point you are making anymore though. I was simply stating in response to your statement that Rafa seems to like his fullbacks to stay home so in essence someone of Dummett's ilk is perfectly suite. Not saying he's good or anything but I can see why he is picked for virtually every game and currently the least of his worries.

Well that is my point really, I don't see anything wrong with a defensive full back as long as there is a decent wide man in front of him. I'm sure Rafa would like a better footballer than Dummett there who could bring the ball out, but as has already been said, the full backs who are good going forward as well as defending are not that common. Janmaat was a perfect example. Like a Rolls Royce going forward, but absolute liability in defence.

Anyway my point is like I said earlier: Dummett's not good enough, but we need to replace Gouffran first to sort the left side of our play out. Then hopefully invest in a really top class left back next season to take us forward.

He's been immense these past half dozen games.

So he isn't Roberto Carlos going forward, so f***, he's there to defend and he's been bloody good at it anarl.

You can't be immense when you can't even pass to your own players.He's done well enough defensively, i guess

Why is it always Marcelo or Roberto Carlos? :lol:

He offers nothing going forward and obviously that's issue.

:lol:

It's particularly problematic when the winger in front of him is stunted as well. We can get away with Dummett-Atsu because the latter is a threat, but Dummett-Gouffran is completely toothless.

He's been immense these past half dozen games.

So he isn't Roberto Carlos going forward, so fuck, he's there to defend and he's been bloody good at it anarl.

That's such a tiref cliché like, at the top level full backs these days are expected to be involved going forward, it's churlish to suggest otherwise.

I wonder what his pass completion percent was. Losing possession all the time just invites pressure (especially against better teams).

Colback is another one, but at least Dummett has done well defensively lately. You noticed when Colback tried to head the ball twice in our penalty area? First one straight up in the air and the second one he almost missed completely and it went backwards to Darlow luckily :lol: :lol: