Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

9 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

Only at left back as Trippier, Livramento, Burn, Taggert and Hall weren't available to play there.

Exactly. Actually I was weirdly happy to see him get a run out because I assumed we were going to close the game out quite easily. 

1 minute ago, Heron said:

-Demonstrating the right attitude in training

-Wanting to be at his home town club

-Multiple managers seeing enough quality in him to at least offer something to the squad

-FFP

-Other clubs not being interested that would make it worth our while

All of the above. Reality is, attitude is the most important thing.

Without talent it means sod all if we’re going to get to where we want to. 

2 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

That might be the case but aside from Ritchie I'm not sure what the other viable options were tonight. Burn, Trippier, Tino, Hall all unavailable to play there for various reasons. At which point you can only put kids in. Kids are also likely to do what Dummett did. Only difference is it'd have been more forgivable. Howe isn't to know that ahead of the decision though.

We rely upon people with the right application and attitude and will for 2/3more years and possibly beyond with FFP. So we have to choose whether we back folk who deserve backing or chance it on potential mercenaries like we did when we got relegated. I'd have a Dummett, Longstaff or Burn every day of the week over a Sissoko for example who didn't give a fuck.

12 minutes ago, Heron said:

-Demonstrating the right attitude in training

-Wanting to be at his home town club

-Multiple managers seeing enough quality in him to at least offer something to the squad

-FFP

-Other clubs not being interested that would make it worth our while

All of the above. Reality is, attitude is the most important thing.

home grown attitude from an ageing average performer isn't helping out, as we've just witnessed

23 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Here, if newcastle wanted to match my wage to do what he gets to do, I’m sure 99% of people on here would happily sign up for whatever hell dummet has.

15 minutes ago, Holloway said:

home grown attitude from an ageing average performer isn't helping out, as we've just witnessed

I'm not even disputing that. What I am saying is folk shouldn't equate his career to the equivalent of that one performance tonight.

6 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Can we take a hit and release him?

For 5th choice LB it'd be wise to allow that to be a kid imo. So in short, yes.

9 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Can we take a hit and release him?

We could. Man Utd keep Tom Huddlestone around as a mentor to younger players, Johnny Evans was supposed to do that but ended up getting games, there's a bloke at Brighton does a similar thing and I've never heard of him. I'd guess a few clubs do it now.

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

I'm not even disputing that. What I am saying is folk shouldn't equate his career to the equivalent of that one performance tonight.

as far as i can tell most fans can't understand how he is still at the club, never mind being involved in a match of this importance

6 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

He's played a handful of games in the last few years. Find it hard to be too critical of him.

This is it. For all his limitations, over the years I think he’s been a solid enough defender, but when you haven’t played for so long, it’s not surprising when a mistake like that happens.

52 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

This is it. For all his limitations, over the years I think he’s been a solid enough defender, but when you haven’t played for so long, it’s not surprising when a mistake like that happens.

Maybe I’ve been overly harsh for years but I’ve never rated him. Slow to turn, slow to move the ball, an absolute icon of the Ashley years for me. I’m not even surprised what happened last night. He’s spent his career giving forwards a push or a nudge before trying to win the header, he just amplified it for last night. 

Probably being overly harsh, but I find it incredible that a Premier League player can look so poor on the ball and not seem to know what to do with it. I know people say "he's a CB not a LB" but he spent 3/4s of his career at LB. I just find it bizarre that throughout all that time his default move is pass to the LCB. Flair players get criticised for laziness when they don't track back etc, I find it laziness that a Premier League footballer in 12-13 years never learned to cross a ball adequately or improve the technical side of his game. 

1 hour ago, The Butcher said:

He's played a handful of games in the last few years. Find it hard to be too critical of him.

Doesn't take game time to understand you can no longer make cynical fouls like that with VAR around. He's still a professional footballer. 

11 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

His contract is up at the end of the season right?

Current contract is up in summer. Not sure on the one they're talking about offering him though. 

2 hours ago, Rafalove said:

It wasn't really a mistake though.

He's dragging down a dwarf at the neck, with the ball well out of reach from a hopeful cross into the box. It was just so incredibly irresponsible.

He's been a good servant to the club = he has never been good enough so of course he's been more than happy to hang around and be paid handsomely for it.