Newcastle United 1 - 0 Fulham - 31/08/13 - post-match reaction from page 34

Beren

Tend to agree with Owen, sorry was just a little sick in my mouth there, Pardew was harsh on HBA there, don't think he did much wrong today. Yeah he kept the ball too long sometimes but maybe, just maybe, that's more indicative of Pardews inability to allow players forward!

A deserved win, the side at least showed some attacking enthusiasm, esp in the second half. There was also evidence of more movement off the ball.

Fulham, though, were woeful - content to try to slow down the game and keep the ball to waste time and had it not been for HBA's great strike they would have got a point. Berbatov wasn't bothered and the rest of their forward line didn't look as if they were either.

The guy who beavered away quietly yet was the spring board for most of our pressure was Anita - he mopped up many loose balls and tried to set up attacks with forward passes which could have caused them problems if we had forwards who could hold up the ball and had pace - the intro of Remy was a turning point because his pace gave them problems down the left.

A result which at least temporarily removes some pressure, but with Norwich winning again, Palace turning over the Mackems as well as Cardiff getting a point from Everton, there can be no doubting that new blood is required to avoid getting pulled into a bottom 4 scrap. Better teams than Fulham have to be faced in the next couple of months and a better side than them would have got something at SJP today.

Seemed like santon had improved positionally today, thought he was very impressive

Agreed, but he was not tested - their forwards hardly got into the game.

Lets see how Santon does when he is under pressure again before passing judgment - same applies to Debuchy.

Jol couldn't give a f**k like :lol:

:lol: His team didn't either by the looks of things. Berbatov, Ruiz and Bent all starting away from home man, one on hand it's admirable but you're more or less condemning yourself to a game under the cosh. I can't see us having an easier game at SJP this season.

I'm finding these reports amazing, as I was only able to watch the first half and haven't yet seen the goal. I went to bed with the commentator's remark that the first 45 minutes were "immediately forgettable football" and agreeing wholeheartedly.

Debuchy and Santon must have picked up a lot to get some of the ratings being given here and as magical as Ben Arfa is, he can be infuriating at times too - the Captain Hero routine is a product of how shit we are, but if the opposition is in any way disciplined against him we are easy to shut down.

Delighted with the win, here's hoping we can turn it on again sometime soon!!!

I'm finding these reports amazing, as I was only able to watch the first half and haven't yet seen the goal. I went to bed with the commentator's remark that the first 45 minutes were "immediately forgettable football" and agreeing wholeheartedly.

Debuchy and Santon must have picked up a lot to get some of the ratings being given here and as magical as Ben Arfa is, he can be infuriating at times too - the Captain Hero routine is a product of how shit we are, but if the opposition is in any way disciplined against him we are easy to shut down.

Watch a replay of the last 15 minutes if you can - it's the best we've played in months.

That last 20 minutes or so. :aww:

http://www.vivaelfulham.co.uk/articles/talking-tactics-newcastle-1-fulham-0-7-289.html

From a Fulham site, excellent tactical breakdown obviously mostly from their perspective. But the writer comes to the same conclusions we did. Their heat map is shocking. Worth a read and on that evidence Jol is not long for Craven Cottage.

Canny read. :thup:

http://www.vivaelfulham.co.uk/articles/talking-tactics-newcastle-1-fulham-0-7-289.html

From a Fulham site, excellent tactical breakdown obviously mostly from their perspective. But the writer comes to the same conclusions we did. Their heat map is shocking. Worth a read and on that evidence Jol is not long for Craven Cottage.

Dat heat map :sweetjesus:

Wow!

That heatmap represents the state of my laptop screen after the Ben Arfa goal as much as anything else.

You're not mistaken, the first half was the usual uninspiring poo. Hardly any movement at all. The improvement late on was ridiculous.

The improvement late on was down to Remy and Gouffran giving the team the pace and movement we needed. After the goal a lot of the pressure was off, and we played with a lot more confidence and Fulham just collapsed.

Guest bimpy474

25 shots on target :fwap:

25 shots, 9 on target.

Guest neesy111

The team that finished the game (minus Cabaye depending on whether he stays or not) should start our next game.  Amazing what having pace and movement in a striker does to make your midfield look decent.

Scott Parker was playing today? :lol:

The only reason i realised he was playing was because Gary Birtles kept saying how much we could do with someone like him.....

This was doing my fucking body in, literally.  Haven't hated a player as much as Parker during 06/07.

I quite liked Parker, but even if you didn't, surely the likes of Smith, Owen, Butt, Duff are miles ahead of Parker in the hateometer?