NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We'll have been offered hundreds of players during this window, it's impossible for them all to have been too old, too expensive or not good enough. I'm not advocating buying for the sake of it but we'll have had opportunities that we've chosen not to take based on our policy to not buy.

I don't mind admitting that I won't come on the forum for a long time if we sell Hatem and Cabaye in one window. Not that we will, but still, silver lining for you all to keep in mind.

I can remember saying last season that if we didn't hire a proper footballing manager then players like Hatem and Cabaye would leave. That was partly down to the football we were playing at the time, and partly down to our sheer lack of ambition. Looks like that time is almost here.

I don't mind admitting that I won't come on the forum for a long time if we sell Hatem and Cabaye in one window. Not that we will, but still, silver lining for you all to keep in mind.

I can remember saying last season that if we didn't hire a proper footballing manager then players like Hatem and Cabaye would leave. That was partly down to the football we were playing at the time, and partly down to our sheer lack of ambition. Looks like that time is almost here.

But is there any reason to think we won't continue to do what we've done in the recent past, i.e. sign players like Hatem and Cabaye in the first place?

They weren't gutted about coming here presumably, they can't think we're that shite.

:thup:  it's my opinion that we would have got grenier if we really wanted to.

Of course. By offering a salary that he is expecting to get from his next move. His agent knows he's worth more otherwise which agent in the world doesn't want to do a transfer?

I'm not defending Pardew's position but no 'proper footballing manager' would come anywhere near this two-bit circus.

Nope. Unless they were making millions in commission from constant churning of players at profit.

But is there any reason to think we won't continue to do what we've done in the recent past, i.e. sign players like Hatem and Cabaye in the first place?

They weren't gutted about coming here presumably, they can't think we're that shite.

No I'm sure we can continue to do that, but unless the squad is actually being improved year on year, then what is it we are aiming for?

No I'm sure we can continue to do that, but unless the squad is actually being improved year on year, then what is it we are aiming for?

We're not aiming for anything other than to progress as much as we can within our financial means. We'll have to see how able we are to keep making the right signings, obviously the last couple of windows haven't been good.

Clearly sometimes players will become too good for us and will be snapped up by a mega-rich club. That's shit, but it's basically a fact of life for almost every team.

I'm not defending Pardew's position but no 'proper footballing manager' would come anywhere near this two-bit circus.

What I call a proper footballing manager is simply one who understands how to get a team organised and capable of playing good passing football. It doesn't have to be Mourhino or Guardiola. A cheap Sports Direct bargain basement one would do.

Derby has come at a good time for Ashley really. Even if he signs no one there's no way people will protest at the only important game of the season. Get beat and people will be p*ssed off for a bit, win and everyone forgets.

Think you're wrong here mind you, in my opinion the atmosphere will be pretty nasty tomorrow and if there is a defeat there will be hell on. Don't think people will forget quite as easily as you think this time

If we progressed from our current level it would take us to Europa league qualifiers on a regular basis, this is something that the manager and the board have said we don't want. Further progress would be challenging for Champions League qualification, which would take a lot more investment in the squad than we are currently seeing and seems to be something that Ashley from his track record isn’t interested in. There’s no way we are trying to progress as a club, Ashley realises that the Champions League is too far out of reach and therefore doesn’t concern himself with making an attempt at it.

If we progressed from our current level it would take us to Europa league qualifiers on a regular basis, this is something that the manager and the board have said we don't want. Further progress would be challenging for Champions League qualification, which would take a lot more investment in the squad than we are currently seeing and seems to be something that Ashley from his track record isn’t interested in. There’s no way we are trying to progress as a club, Ashley realises that the Champions League is too far out of reach and therefore doesn’t concern himself with making an attempt at it.

We might get in the Europa League again, though we (like many clubs) would probably rather not bother. You're right about the top 4 of course. This is more a problem with football in general than us specifically though IMO.

Derby has come at a good time for Ashley really. Even if he signs no one there's no way people will protest at the only important game of the season. Get beat and people will be p*ssed off for a bit, win and everyone forgets.

Think you're wrong here mind you, in my opinion the atmosphere will be pretty nasty tomorrow and if there is a defeat there will be hell on. Don't think people will forget quite as easily as you think this time

They dicked us 3-0 and nobody was arsed the week after

Letting go your best player and not replacing him is the big difference here though

Letting go your best player and not replacing him is the big difference here though

Happened with Carroll and people stopped giving a shit relatively quickly.

Happened with Carroll and people stopped giving a s*** relatively quickly.

Exactly and at that at the time was a great deal as was not a top class player - we will see

All we want is a bit of hope, a sign that we were prepared to re-invent our income to improve. We can be self sufficient in terms of transfer funds, if Ashley believed in Carr that much he’d allow him to take the £15m+ profit on Cabaye and turn that into 3 or 4 players who can look to take the same path Cabaye did. It’s not inconceivable that we’d be able to produce those kind of deals once per season or every other year, there’s always movement at clubs, ours just seems to only be in one direction.

Everyone else is buying players to try and improve.  There is only so long we can get away with standing still or weakening the squad in the hope of getting away with it.

The last couple of windows they have insisted they had money to spend and even put in bids (who knows if they seriously thought they would be accepted) but the fact that money has not been spent and they have then said we are saving the money for the next window only for the same situation to recur.  On that basis alone, there should have been a decent amount to spend before the Cabaye sale.  Then there is the saving on some serious wages with the likes of Harper from last Summer and Jonas and Cabaye with this one.

Of course next Summer everyone will know we have the Cabaye money plus the TV money so the prices will increase.

There is also the JFK factor and as Mark Douglas has pointed out, is he able to close a transfer deal?  Douglas regularly reports that he is a serious hindrance in the club's ability to close deals and people that he has been involved with have said that he is seriously out of his depth. What will happen in the Summer when they have to buy at least 6-7 players to replace the outgoings - how will they cope with that?  Pardew has said the squad will have to be rebuilt in the Summer - do the people now running the club have the ability to be able to do that.  How do they think they will be able to integrate so many new players at once when so many other clubs have failed when there has been a huge turnover in players.

I don't get the reluctance to spend the odd million more if you are confident that the player will make a profit for you in the long term.  No-one is asking them to go crazy but  their tendency to bid low fees and then to get all huffy when the selling club refuses to cave in but then expect buying clubs to pay over the odds for our players is embarrassing.

I have always maintained that the longer Ashley is here, the more damaged the club will become and I think that is really starting to take hold now.  The apathy from the fans should be a concern to them because that is their major asset.

I have little enthusiasm for the rest of the season and I am pretty pessimistic about how it will go as well.  I think it is feasible that we won't win any games in February especially with so few goals in the team at the moment and then morale can be affected which means games you would expect to win would become much harder plus what is the motivation for the players.  I am not convinced we will stay in the top half of the table although relegation is not on the cards.  A drop down the table could translate to several million in prize money which could have been used towards transfer fees.  Other than season ticket holders who have already made the commitment, I don't see why others would pay to watch meaningless games for the rest of the season.

Newcastle update from BBC's Ben Smith:

"Newcastle's bid for Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier has stalled and there is no sign that the clubs are prepared to restart talks. At this stage, no other arrivals are expected at St James' Park before tonight's deadline."

Thread closed until summer

Not long after that we were dicked again, 0-6. Again, nobody was arsed.

Newcastle update from BBC's Ben Smith:

"Newcastle's bid for Lyon midfielder Clement Grenier has stalled and there is no sign that the clubs are prepared to restart talks. At this stage, no other arrivals are expected at St James' Park before tonight's deadline."

Thread closed until summer

And there it is! Closed for business.