NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would everyone pay £30m for Beharino? Bearing in mind the 'we don't care about fees' position that seems to be common.

we should pay whatever it takes to get the quality we need.

its as simple as that.

Fair enough, just asking. I can't help judging transfers partly based on how much they cost.

Everyone judges them on what they cost man.  For example Mbemba is decent makes a few mistakes but he'll probably be a fairly decent CB in a year or 2.  However if we had paid 45 Million for him everyone would be saying how ridiculous it was.

Well that's what I thought, but over the last few days it seems to be more 'just get the player'.

I think berhaino would improve us, I think he'd score goals for us and I think he'd give us another dimension. I also think, couple him with some of the other players we have, he could keep us in the division.

Whether we pay £20m or £30m for that, I couldn't really care less at this point. I'm not sure why anyone else would either.

The debate should solely be about is he good enough, not what he costs, IMO.

That's a fair enough position, just the logical extension is things like Liverpool were absolutely right to buy Andy Carroll for £35m.

Not that I actually want this debate, please ignore :lol:

:lol:

yeah, me neither. O0

may be giggs, but moose from talksport reckons we want alan judge from brentford.

11 goals and 8 assists in 25 games. Pretty sweet numbers.

Striker wise wonder if we'd look at Hull's Abel Hernandez? Looks good this season, and we were linked with him also, prior to him joining Hull.

Never saw much of Gomis before he arrived in England, but after a decent start he's started to look like a bit of a donkey up front. Someone like Shane Long looks to be a much better striker without any of the hype.

I'd rather just bring Armstrong back than sign Gomis, I'm surprised we havent looked at the Dutch league for a striker.

That forward for PSV has been banging the goals in.

He bosses that league ffs :lol:

Can someone who watches West Brom tell me what Berahino does to make him worth £20+million? Seems a good a finisher but it doesn't look like he's actually that prolific... and he's nowhere near as good as Albert Luque  going by Youtube.

Can someone who watches West Brom tell me what Berahino does to make him worth £20+million? Seems a good a finisher but it doesn't look like he's actually that prolific... and he's nowhere near as good as Albert Luque  going by Youtube.

I would imagine it's his goals record. Strikers who score a boatload in the Dutch league are probably available for half of that, but they don't always manage to repeat that in the premier. Luuk de Jong says hi.

He's a good player. Young and English, resell potential. The fact that Middlesbrough just bid £9M for McCormack makes £15M for Berahino a bargain imo.

He's a good player. Young and English, resell potential. The fact that Middlesbrough just bid £9M for McCormack makes £15M for Berahino a bargain imo.

except we could be talking 25/30 million and for a club that is still 50/50 for going down this season it is an expensive risk especially for a kid west brom just havent fancied this season despite his 20 goals last season.

I would imagine it's his goals record. Strikers who score a boatload in the Dutch league are probably available for half of that, but they don't always manage to repeat that in the premier. Luuk de Jong says hi.

To be fair, Pardew was playing him as a number 10. Probably thought it was Siem.

And Berahino hasn't scored that many goals (about 20 in the league?). He's looked decent when I've watched him and he's young, but if he goes anywhere near the £30million the papers are talking about, that must be getting on for Carroll levels of insanity.

To be fair, Pardew was playing him as a number 10. Probably thought it was Siem.

And Berahino hasn't scored that many goals (about 20 in the league?). He's looked decent when I've watched him and he's young, but if he goes anywhere near the £30million the papers are talking about, that must be getting on for Carroll levels of insanity.

No one's going to pay £30m for him though, it's more likely going to be around £20m. As for Luuk, Perez attempts more shots on goal from midfield than he did when playing up front. In any case, you can waste a lot of money spending £6m (Xisco, Riviere) here and £10m there hoping an unproven striker will come in and start banging them in. Someone who's already succeeding and is relatively young will obviously command more.

No one's going to pay £30m for him though, it's more likely going to be around £20m. As for Luuk, Perez attempts more shots on goal from midfield than he did when playing up front. In any case, you can waste a lot of money spending £6m (Xisco, Riviere) here and £10m there hoping an unproven striker will come in and start banging them in. Someone who's already succeeding and is relatively young will obviously command more.

The question I'm really asking is: Is he a good player who would make a team like ours play better, or does he just score the odd goal with a spectacular finish (esrly Cisse), which combined with being young and English has set off the media hype machine?

Forgive me for not knowing much about him. West Brom are genuinely the dullest club on the face of the planet.

I like Berahino a lot. He's a very technical finisher and has demonstrated a good diversity in his goalscoring. He used to play with a lot of confidence and determination when I've seen him. Not sure if he's in the same state of mind nowadays though. If indeed there's genuine interest from other top clubs in the league, we'll have to overpay. And I doubt "the football board" would sanction a fee > £20M and a highest earner wage. Imo, rightly so, as Berahino's short record isn't that impressive.

Don't agree with those who don't care about the fees and even more so - the potential wages. There's very little credible info either way but we all know wages can be key in terms of team management in any organisation. I imagine it's even more prominent in the agent-driven world of top football.

Also as Happy Face presented so well in another thread, the club (surprisingly, at least for me) has a very strict limit on it's expenses, in terms of transfers and wages. On paper, each expensive flop reduces our budget exponentially and we have a few in the squad already.

The question I'm really asking is: Is he a good player who would make a team like ours play better, or does he just score the odd goal with a spectacular finish (esrly Cisse), which combined with being young and English has set off the media hype machine?

Forgive me for not knowing much about him. West Brom are genuinely the dullest club on the face of the planet.

Cisse is still a goal scorer and that's what we are missing at the end of the day. It just comes down to whether we are prepared to bank on Mitro and Perez to score enough goals between them to keep us up from now until the end of the season. If not then we have to look for other strikers who could do the job, whether it is Berahino or someone like Remy on loan.