NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

Ignoring those reports, does anyone really think we'll sign more than one player. The only reason we bought last winter was because we were in danger of going down.

Unless Ashley has a rush of ambition we will only sign a striker and a slim chance of a LW if Marv goes out.

Getting Shane Long for a much reduced fee (due to his contract expiring in the Summer) would seem to fit the way NUFC go about transfers under this regime. Shola isn't getting a new contract so he will need replacing. It is far from guaranteed that Remy will be here next season. Shola and Remy out with Long and Gomis in for low fees would meet the current NUFC transfer 'model'.

If we where to sign Long would we need Gomis? We would need someone capable of getting 20 goals but I don't think Gomis is that man.

We need the option of at least one big striker who can hold the ball up. Apart from Shola we haven't got any other strikers who can do that. As I understand it, Gomis has those sort of attributes. Obviously there are no guarantees we will get Gomis. If we don't get Gomis we need a striker similar to him. In theory it shouldn't be too difficult to replace Shola with someone better.

Getting Shane Long for a much reduced fee (due to his contract expiring in the Summer) would seem to fit the way NUFC go about transfers under this regime. Shola isn't getting a new contract so he will need replacing. It is far from guaranteed that Remy will be here next season. Shola and Remy out with Long and Gomis in for low fees would meet the current NUFC transfer 'model'.

If we where to sign Long would we need Gomis? We would need someone capable og getting 20 goals but I don't think Gomis is that man.

I thought Gomis was seen more of a battering ram type of forward. If Shola's not there next season we won't have anybody to win the ball in the air if Pardew decides he wants to go long ball in a game.

EDIT:

yeah what he just said above basically.

Longs a proper little wind up merchant as well. Sign him up.

Won't do much for Colo's confidence, getting raped every day in training by a player whose best days have been in the Championship.

Rate Long, btw. He's far much more than a poacher.

Could be a Gouff-style underwhelming signing who turns out to be class.

Also, was he with Pardew at Reading? Maybe too young.

nah came over from my local club Cork City (still pisses me off how Reading basically got him for next to nothing) in 2005

nah came over from my local club Cork City (still pisses me off how Reading basically got him for next to nothing) in 2005

Was he thrown into the Kevin Doyle deal as a makeweight? Crazy deal for reading, considering what they sold both players for.

Longs a proper little wind up merchant as well. Sign him up.

Won't do much for Colo's confidence, getting raped every day in training by a player whose best days have been in the Championship.

Rate Long, btw. He's far much more than a poacher.

Not hard when he isn't one to begin with.... a poacher doesn't score 63 goals in 245 games.

Not sure why this forum has a such a hard on for Long.... all he is a willing runner other than that he has zero outstanding qualities and besides we already have two players who can do that in Gouffran and Remy who are both better footballers with better goal returns.

There is no reason to keep filling up the squad with bang average mid table players and we won't be going anywhere by doing so.

We don't lack quantity, we lack quality and Long is nowhere close to being the answer to the quality we need to go forward.

I wasn't aware that we had all dropped back into "lets buy bang average footballers because we can't attract any better mode"

Buying people like Long would say one thing to me.... Mediocrity and you all seem delighted by the possibility of that future.

He's better at what he does than both Remy and Gouffran, although you're right that both of those have more ability. Like I said before, not sure exactly where he'd fit in but I do like him in general.

Apart from one season in the Championship where he scored 20+ his best goal return is 8.... don't get why people like him so much.

Was he thrown into the Kevin Doyle deal as a makeweight? Crazy deal for reading, considering what they sold both players for.

yup utterly daft, they found out Doyle had a low release clause somehow but decided that was still too much and wanted Long thrown in too iirc. Insanity utter insanity.

Nobody has a hard on for Long, Mole. Nee need for your massive player dissections trying to tell everyone what the craic is.

We're starting Shola Ameobi and bringing f***ing Obertan off the bench, that alone is enough for people to want someone like Shane Long.

I'm sure he can speak for himself mate  ;)

But seriously the reason i'm so against it is because we have players of his type already in the squad..... what's the point in adding more?

We desperately need a CF who can score goals and hold the ball up... Long does neither with any sort of regularity.

On top of that i'd say we need a creative winger who isn't called Hatem Ben Arfa who we can rely upon.... Ince would be nice.

A creative midfield cover for Cabaye, who can play alongside him if need be or actually replace him in the line up if he's injured or what ever.

Last but not least a physical CB who can organize the back 4.

Of course none of this will happen as the Fatman doesn't have the ambition to fund it or dwell into the clubs funds to do so either.